B-73 Restoration

Fortunately I was able to check out that lathe in person,,, I was impressed! I love the overhead pulley system, Just think of how environmentally friendly a complete machine shop would be running off a stream and water wheel,,, But I’m sure some endangered fish would be harmed by the water wheel! 

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

They ran those off overhead line shafts. Big flat belt from the shaft to the lathe. To reverse it, you’d twist the belt. Have run many of these converted to electric motor. 

Yes, if you look at the video, you’ll see a large pulley in the center of the line shaft with no belt on it. That would be the one for the belt with the twist for reverse rotation. The clutch lever pushes in both directions to engage one or the other drive pulley off the same shaft.  The way this is set up I can only drive in one direction. You need a longer run to make that twist and I don’t have the space to do so.

4 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

It's a South Bend, believe it or not, from 1916!! Got it from a gentleman I worked for in high school. It was his father's and he used to build race cars. It's very complete and had a lot of accessories/attachments that came with it. It sat in my shop for a long time before I hooked it all up. Not the easiest lathe to set up due to having to mount the drive pulleys to the ceiling. I wouldn't want that crashing down on you while you work. Certainly not the most modern one I've operated and I'd love to have a more modern one, but the price was right. It certainly comes in handy for the work I do. The biggest thing I've turned were the 85# front brake drums for the B73 to open up the pilot holes. Here's a few pics of it.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Well this just adds to the "big picture" on your restoration.  Lot of comment on  this so guys if you have never been to Greenfield Village in Dearborn Mich. you should take the trip.  I t was set up by Henry Ford and is a tribute to what this country was at the turn of the century.  All kinds of shops recreated and when you go in them you see all the old machinery-like Matt's lathe-

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Waiting...waiting...

Yeah, so am I. Nothing yet from the machine shop. I did harvest a lot of parts out of the "Loaner" 220, though. Lots of Cummins parts laying around the shop. Found a 6" pipe wrench laying in the pan??? I wonder how long that's been in there?

69317502472__5CE23075-F673-4557-87D6-A4DCF277412A.jpg

69317506472__6A181CC8-6CEC-4C81-8603-8114AF18BB17.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

• Confused 3

My Grandpa had to build an Engine Stand from Scratch to hold the engine from his Brockway. It rotated the engine 360 degrees. He had his friend that owned the local Junk yard called Army's here in Lima,Ohio bring over his Engine picker machine to git the motor out. He had to replace the camshaft I believe is what he told me. After he died I found that same stand sitting in the weeds by his property line and it was still in use able shape. But wouldn't you know that Someone had more energy than me I guess and stole it. 

• Sad 1

Nothing like the right equipment… last time I had the transmission out of the DM I used a pallet Jack and a couple of boards it came right out and went right back In slicker than I would have thought with this chicken shit setup I will do the same thing with it when I switch transmissions … Bob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Ugh, nothing but idling is torture on these engines.

even with the new trucks. 

i was warned not to idle, so whenever i will be at idle for more than 1-2 minutes i kick it up to 900RPM 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..