The Takeover of American Companies by Foreign Aggressors Continues

kscarbel2

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM I have good news and bad news

The good news your not the only country to be going thru this at the moment trust me

The bad news is I feel its gunna get a lot worse before it gets any better at least in Australia

the worst part is this problem is so easy to fix if only there was votes in it you wouldnt have to wait but alas as they say "While Rome burns the party continues" I think thats how the saying goes you get my drift you can tell Im not very educated I didnt stay at school long enough

Paul

• Like 1

While I completely agree with your original post, some of the takeovers on that list aren't necessarily a bad thing. For instance, if Fiat hadn't bought Chrysler Group, there probably wouldn't BE any Dodges, Chryslers, or Jeeps anymore. On top of that, from what I understand, Fiat's involvement is actually strengthening the Chrysler brands in many ways (designs are better, quality control is better, etc.).

Having said that, your post is pretty close to the mark. I'm 45 years old and the direction our country has gone in over the last 25 years or so and the speed in which it's done so is breathtaking.

I drive a Dodge and snear at Toyota's knowing full well that Dodge is no longer a US company and they are made in Mexico...I bet the toyotas are at least made in the USA...We are all part of a self distructive country at this point. Sad and not sure how or if we can fix it.

Thanks for the post...Sitting at EMD Millipore...owned by Merck (now) and about 5 miles from the integration team for the Sigma Aldrich/Merck aquisition. (It's lunch time).

There'd still be a Dodge/Jeep, somebody else would have bought them for sure. It's a shame though so many people have bought products from companies on that list(me included) "thinking" we're supporting the a US business :pat:

We the tax payers "bought" Chrysler Corp, and "we forgave" most all of the debt when Daimler bought Chrysler. You also have to realize how much bonus monies the Executives make on the sales of the companies.

It is also not just Companies but also infrastructure. S.F. Bay bridge is / was rebuilt by a Chinese firm, with Chinese steel and most workers. The new power plant in Yaphank was built by a Chinese firm with Chinese made parts, steel and about 60% of the workers. 80% of the steel in the new WTC was from China and half of that had corrosion problems and could not be used. We are doing it to ourselves and all for the $$$. The Feds pay U.S.companies to go over seas.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Once companies "go public" and sell stock, there is no way to keep foreign investors from buying and taking control of them. Thus while a company may have an american name, they may in fact be majority owned by foreign shareholders. Bringing this discussion back to Mack, these days a truck maker needs a volume of at least 100,000 vehicles a year to be profitable. That's half the entire market for class 8 in an average year, and a quarter of the U.S. market for classes 6-8. The only way Mack could have reached those volumes would be to undercut competitors on pricing to the point of getting that kind of market share or expand in accessible foreign markets like Europe to the point of having half of sales outside of the U.S. The opportunity to do that passed 3 decades ago, and even in the glory days of the 70s Mack only sold around 30,000 trucks a year, far short of that 100,000 a year viability threshold.

Fruehauf trailer, International Harvesters construction devision, Terex (GM) and now in my industry , Coplay Cement and Hurcules are owned by the Italians, Keystone and Allentown Cement are owned by the Germans and Whitehall is now French owned. Essex Cement is owned by and imports there product from Greece! Go to Florida where Rinker ruled and you will see Cemex (Mexico), LaFarge, Heidlerg and Titan all of the big players are no longer U.S owned and although there is no price fixing in the U.S.... It doesn't stop them from sitting at a table in another County and setting a price on cement and concrete in the U.S! Now look at all of the quarry pits, most are owned by Tilcon and who owns them? Old Castle (Ireland) most of your block and concrete pavers and asphalt plants, are now owned by Old Castle. And as Kscarbl said about Vulcan and LaFarge, Lafarge just sold to Holsom (not sure of the correct spelling) and Old Castle took over most of there Canadian business and Holsom is going to take most of the U.S (La Farge assets) and as Mr Kscarbl stated........the list keeps growing!!!

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

A lot of these losses can be traced to the failure of american management- Too short sighted to make long term investments and wait longer than a quarter for their companies to become profitable. During the recession of the 1980s half of our truck makers were bought up by Daimler and Volvo because while american management was divesting, they moved in and invested and patiently waited for profits. I saw the same thing happen in the bakery biz- While Wall Street "whiz kids" were cutting costs and the consumer be damned at Hostess, Bimbo methodically bought up the best run baking companies and gained the largest share of the american market.

• Like 1

Free trade agreement's(NAFTA-GATT etc.) that were passed and never read what a beautiful thing. :thumbsdown:

We need jobs in America, and we must manufacture here if we wish to remain a superpower.

We must stop shipping manufacturing jobs overseas and once again make the words “Made in the USA” the world’s standard of excellence.

However the American people, realistically, have little voice in the matter. Steered by big business and other, the government has its own agenda, apart from the will of a declining portion of the people that still recall the words "Government of the people, by the people, for the people."

• Like 1

We need jobs in America, and we must manufacture here if we wish to remain a superpower.

We must stop shipping manufacturing jobs overseas and once again make the words “Made in the USA” the world’s standard of excellence.

However the American people, realistically, have little voice in the matter. Steered by big business and other, the government has its own agenda, apart from the will of a declining portion of the people that still recall the words "Government of the people, by the people, for the people."

When you look at the Federal, State and local agencies for permits, environmental impact studies by the Feds, State and locals, traffic impact studies, air and water quality studies. Add to that the Zoning regulations ( one is that total parking is not set on the maximum employees but on the buildings total square footage x.5 ) and the ever present NIMBY's, compound that with banks and investors who want an immediate return, Federal and State inflated tax rates, insane energy costs. Than add more to the mix affirmative action labor laws, health care laws and yes even unions (apologies to the agencies and groups I missed) Little wonder that business will not open or stay here. To see MADE IN THE U.S.A. a lot of the regulations, tax rates, fees and red tape have to be severely adjusted or eliminated. Work with the businesses not against them. Government sees business as a cash cow and most towns and neighbors see them as interlopers. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

When you look at the Federal, State and local agencies for permits, environmental impact studies by the Feds, State and locals, traffic impact studies, air and water quality studies. Add to that the Zoning regulations ( one is that total parking is not set on the maximum employees but on the buildings total square footage x.5 ) and the ever present NIMBY's, compound that with banks and investors who want an immediate return, Federal and State inflated tax rates, insane energy costs. Than add more to the mix affirmative action labor laws, health care laws and yes even unions (apologies to the agencies and groups I missed) Little wonder that business will not open or stay here. To see MADE IN THE U.S.A. a lot of the regulations, tax rates, fees and red tape have to be severely adjusted or eliminated. Work with the businesses not against them. Government sees business as a cash cow and most towns and neighbors see them as interlopers. Paul

I completely agree. But in speaking on this subject, I suggest we need to separate big business from small and middle sized business. It's no secret that the government is in bed with most big business. That's how NAFTA came to be, a scheme set up at the request of big US business wanting to produce cheaply in Mexico without import tariffs. It wasn't, in fact, about creating more US jobs (it's amazing the government could tell the American people that with a straight face).

Big business obviously doesn't have the best interest of the American people at heart, but it does have fairly solid control of the government. Until this situation is corrected...............

Big US business has always had its own agenda, however in decades past, it generally resulted in a strong America. Now it doesn't, and a properly performing government would oversee American business in the best interests of the country, rather than the best interests of big business.

And then you have the plight of the small and medium sized businesses, where our local, state and federal governments at times appear to be working unreasonably against them. Yes, we need regulation, however we also need a pro-U.S. business environment.

• Like 1

Agree with KSC 100%. Sadly, the problem is rooted in our Congress. U.S. House and U.S. Senate positions should be volunteer positions filled by patriots who want to serve their country. There should be NO salary, NO pension, NO exemption from Obummer care, NO exemption from insider trading rules. The founding fathers warned us the country would be in peril when elites could vote themselves privileges. They also fretted the country would fail if it ever happened there were only two political parties of consequence. And here we are.

• Like 2