Yuengling bests Sam Adams, now No. 1 craft brewer in the nation

kscarbel2

The Morning Call / April 2, 2015

Pottsville-based D.G. Yuengling & Son Inc. has been named the king of craft beers after beating out Boston Beer Co., the maker of Sam Adams, as the country's top-selling craft brewing company in an annual list compiled by the Brewers Association.

The Brewers Association, a nonprofit trade group based in Boulder, Colo. that represents small and independent brewers, released its list of the top U.S. 50 U.S. craft brewing companies this week, and the brands at the top are no strangers to Lehigh Valley beer connoisseurs. The list is based on 2014 beer sales volume.

Yuengling became eligible for the designation for the first time this year after the Brewers Association changed its definition of the craft brewery in early 2014 to include brewers that use "adjunct grains," such as corn, in its flagship beers, said Paul Gatza, director of the Brewers Association.

Yuengling, which uses corn, made its inaugural appearance on the list at No. 1. Boston-based Boston Beer, which has been busy expanding its footprint and workforce at its Samuel Adams Pennsylvania Brewery in Upper Macungie Township, placed second on the list while the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. of Chico, Calif., placed third. Sam Adams has been on the list for years.

Sam Adams' brewery employs more than 500 in the Lehigh Valley while Yuengling employs about 300 in Pottsville. Yuengling, established in 1829, is available in 18 states.

"The companies on this list include the vanguard of the craft industry. They are exposing new beer lovers to craft, opening new markets and creating opportunities for the entire category. As they continue to grow, so will the availability of innovative and high-quality beers produced for all to enjoy," said Bart Watson, the Brewers Association's chief economist.

Meanwhile, the Brewers Association also ranked Yuengling and Boston Beer among the top 50 overall brewing companies in the U.S. at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively. St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Inc., Chicago-based Miller Coors and Los Angeles-based Pabst Brewing Co. were the top 3 in the overall category.

At 2,000 workers strong, the Lehigh Valley region's beverage business has been booming in recent years, with craft brewers in particular becoming a force as their beers continue to surge in popularity among consumers.

The region comprises 20 beverage manufacturing companies, making it the second highest out of 22 regions in Pennsylvania, according to the Lehigh Valley Economic Development Corp.

Lehigh County, with 17 companies, is home to more beverage manufacturers than any other county statewide.

• Like 2

if anyone has a chance to go to the brewery in pottsville I would reccomend it. it's the oldest brewery in the nation. My wife took me there last summer and I wanted to stay. It's great being able to buy it in Connecticut, I got tired of going out of state for my beer.

I might give that Yuengling a try. I like PBR all right too, but I bought a six pack of Sam Adams once to try it and I thought it sucked. And I could have almost bought a 30 pack of Old Milwaukee for what that 6 pack of Sam Adams cost. Old Milwaukee is good too, or at least it used to be, haven't drank any for a long time.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Tom,give that Yuengling lager a try sometime,bet you will like it! if not,just send me the difference and I will "dispose" of it! I also tried Sam Adams but didn't like it,had a real bitter taste to it........................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Had Yuengling in Pa. while there for the shows. Enjoyed it. The waitress at an Italian resturant in Lititz,kept our pints full! God bless her! Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Tom,give that Yuengling lager a try sometime,bet you will like it! if not,just send me the difference and I will "dispose" of it! I also tried Sam Adams but didn't like it,had a real bitter taste to it........................................Mark

Exactly, I thought it was bitter too- I don't like bitter!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Actually, a good brew is my "thinkin' juice". When I'm stumped, or when I'm starting to get a little frustrated with something, I crack open an ice cold, sit back, and sip on it a while 'til a solution comes to me. It's amazing some of the Redneck Engineering marvels that come about that way.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I remember that crap! (Pathmark Beer) Shop-Rite in Jersey also marketed what they called beer,as I remember,it was beer in name alone! that stuff was friggin' awful! Lol!......................................Mark

post-5836-0-73421800-1428970247.jpg

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nice! Yuengling is "my" beer,it's good stuff for sure,i was SO glad it recently became available here in Virginia,or I may have had to re-do Smokey And The Bandit 2015!........................................................Mark

holy shit,,,like the display model....lol.bob

• Like 1

Always makes me wonder when I see somebody old enough to buy their own beer with a case of nasty light...that's the cheap crap underage kids drink from plastic cups at the keggers because they're too young to know what beer is supposed to taste like and the host doesn't want to pay more than he has to for stuff that's just going to be puked up later by most of the attendees.

I don't miss college. Beer is SO much better these days...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Always makes me wonder when I see somebody old enough to buy their own beer with a case of nasty light...that's the cheap crap underage kids drink from plastic cups at the keggers because they're too young to know what beer is supposed to taste like and the host doesn't want to pay more than he has to for stuff that's just going to be puked up later by most of the attendees. I don't miss college. Beer is SO much better these days...

now that was just friggen hilarious,,,and very well put...bob