Ryder introduces truck spec designed for female drivers

kscarbel2

Fleet Owner / February 6, 2015

Ryder System is now offering a “female-friendly” vehicle lease package that includes specs designed to meet the needs of female drivers.

Ryder worked with various OEMs and the Women in Trucking Assn. (WIT), a non-profit organization established to encourage the employment of women in the trucking industry, on the vehicle design, which includes 15 unique specifications. These same ergonomic specifications will also provide a benefit for many male drivers in the industry, Ryder said.

The ergonomic vehicles include features such as adjusted height and placement of cab grab handles, adjustable seatbelt shoulder straps, improved placement of dash cluster gauges, and better access to oil and coolant checks and fill ports.

Upon customer request, and depending upon the OEM model of vehicle, Ryder can also include the following options:

• Ergonomically designed seats and adjustable armrest;
  • Hood lift/closure assistance mechanism;
  • Automated transmissions;
  • 5th Wheel configurations with lower pull pressures to open the locking mechanism;
  • Automated 5th wheel locking mechanisms;
  • Automatic landing gear operators for trailers; and
  • A cab security system that offers personal protection while a driver is in his/her sleeper berth.

“Ryder is one of the largest purchasers of heavy duty trucks in North America and has a great deal of visibility into the needs of the professional truck driver,” said Steve Schmotzer, Region Fleet Manager, Paccar. “There really is no one in a more suitable position to provide feedback on this issue to manufacturers than Ryder. We are proud to support this initiative, which is critical to addressing a pressing industry need.”

Only 5% of professional truck drivers in the U.S. are women, Ryder noted, but the company said it is committed to identifying truck design gaps and influencing improvements in future vehicle designs that make driving a more attractive career option for women.

“Addressing driver comfort and truck cab design to accommodate the typically smaller stature of women is one of the issues where Women In Trucking Assn. is prompting changes,” said Ellen Voie, President and CEO, Women In Trucking. “We are so pleased to see Ryder's efforts in moving these ergonomic challenges into the forefront of the manufacturers’ design changes,” Voie added.

Sounds pretty sexist to me. Automated transmissions... how insulting. I have worked quite a few female drivers some were good and some were not just like the men. Point being gender is not what makes a good driver or not.

• Like 1

.... And let's just make the whole setup so you don't ever have to break those pretty nails... No need to touch the landing gear or greasy fifth wheel... Pathetic. My wife shops at Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus but she knows how to hitch a trailer and look good doing it. She packed grease into bearing races with me on after our second date! I won't share this development with her as she'd be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

. She packed grease into bearing races with me on after our second date!

Wow! I think that somehow translates into getting to 3rd base!

I think this is part of the dumming down of the job and they're just trying to disguise it with this "female-friendly' nonsense. Auto-tightening straps and chains are probably in the works for potential flatbedders.

I'm still stuck on this gauge cluster thing. So far all I can think of is more idiot lights and less of those confusing needles and numbers.

• Like 2

Jim

Wow! I think that somehow translates into getting to 3rd base!

I think this is part of the dumming down of the job and they're just trying to disguise it with this "female-friendly' nonsense. Auto-tightening straps and chains are probably in the works for potential flatbedders.

I'm still stuck on this gauge cluster thing. So far all I can think of is more idiot lights and less of those confusing needles and numbers.

Right but my whole thing is... The job is what the job demands. If the truck has manual landing gear, trailer attachment, manual transmission, non air ride seat, gauges behind your head... Then that is the job. If people want work male or not those are the conditions. Frankly it's the reason why someone on the other side of the pacific makes a good percentage of what or countrymen own.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

This catering to groups of people is really costing this country Jobs and Dollars. What ever happened to people adapting to do their specific job instead of the job adapting to them? Hell I want my "fatman steering wheel a 'roid seat bottom and a prescription windshield. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Right but my whole thing is... The job is what the job demands. If the truck has manual landing gear, trailer attachment, manual transmission, non air ride seat, gauges behind your head... Then that is the job. If people want work male or not those are the conditions. Frankly it's the reason why someone on the other side of the pacific makes a good percentage of what or countrymen own.

This catering to groups of people is really costing this country Jobs and Dollars. What ever happened to people adapting to do their specific job instead of the job adapting to them? Hell I want my "fatman steering wheel a 'roid seat bottom and a prescription windshield. Paul

I clearly remember seeing petite female truckers on the road and in truck stops when I was a kid. That was in the 70's when 99% of the trucks had clutches, air-ride suspension was a luxury, and women didn't dare wear a short skirt when behind the wheel of a GMC Astro. Uh....anyway, it seems like a lot of time and money is being spent to overcome the lack of ambition epidemic that's sweeping America.

• Like 1

Jim

I think I'm understanding this "female" friendly stuff. I think they are going to put the guage a little higher in the dash for easier viewing for some girls??

29-flbp_8.jpg

excellent,,,guess closer pedels wouldnt help.hahahahahahahahahahahaha..bob

:SMOKIE-RT:

FWIW-Up here the mines are hiring female drivers whenever they can because they take better care of the equipment,don't drive crazy and on average have better depth perception. I'm sure there are a few guys who would argue that,but with the cost of mine equipment,I'm sure they wouldn't be doing that if there wasn't a proven benefit to it.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

If I'm not mistaken,there's a little S curve to the left at the end,so I'm guessing no...VERY nice looking seat warmer though.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

FWIW-Up here the mines are hiring female drivers whenever they can because they take better care of the equipment,don't drive crazy and on average have better depth perception. I'm sure there are a few guys who would argue that,but with the cost of mine equipment,I'm sure they wouldn't be doing that if there wasn't a proven benefit to it.

Speed

No argument here but with Ryder's focus being on local and long haul on-highway operations, I see this as little more than new approach to finding a warm body to put behind the wheel.

• Like 1

Jim

True,but I think the same parameters apply. There's no denying there are more Female Truckers than any other time since WW-II;I don't see much wrong with making the rigs a little more adjustable for smaller and/or less muscular drivers,male OR female,except the automatic transmissions-I just can't get used to that idea. (Have they figured out how to make an automatic in a semi survive in the Western Mountain States yet?) As long as the new developments don't add a lot to the purchase price,no problem.

Speed

It's not all bad and maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I don't trust these large corporations and tend to look for an ulterior motive whenever there is a new idea that appears to be strictly for the benefit of drivers. I'm just jaded I guess. I see anything positive as a just another approach to getting more cheap meat in the seat.

Jim