cat V-series engines

GreenGiant2

I think there was also a 36 series but I have never personally seen one, I don't think the 33 series was ever in a Vee configuration. Farmer should be able to answer this for positive

and then theirs that bigun don't remember the # but our asphalt plant and crusher each had one to run them . its a skid mounted genset and would fill one half of a 40' dry van, they were a low rpm eng.

I think there was also a 36 series but I have never personally seen one, I don't think the 33 series was ever in a Vee configuration. Farmer should be able to answer this for positive

and then theirs that bigun don't remember the # but our asphalt plant and crusher each had one to run them . its a skid mounted genset and would fill one half of a 40' dry van, they were a low rpm eng.

D379 is a v8. When i was a kid i hauled one genset on a c60 chevy rollback... it didn't want it

• Like 1

Cat makes numerous v models though not for highway trucks anymore. They make 3500 HP V's for locomotives, generators, mining trucks and other construction equipment They also now own EMD Locomotives and their line of v engines 2 cycle 645's and 4 cycle 720' s :twothumbsup:

I'll have to re-read the book, I think those are both 2strokes with different injection systems....the 4 stroke used a different numbering system.....

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

A 1693 was a larger engine than the 1674.Both duel over head cam but the 1674 was same size in weight as 1673 which was for runner for the 3306. But was rated only at 270HP

Although the 1693 was a DOHC engine, the 3406/3408 engines were its replacement. And yes the 1674 was the forerunner to the 3306. I don't remember the 1674 being DOHC.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Yes the 1674 was a duel over head engine and if you have worked on them much you may remember that there was three or four bolts on the head of the rear cover below the head that would adjust the back lash in between the cam gear and crankgear at the rear.You could loosen those bolts and move the idler gear for more back lash.

glenn akers

Not sure about the 1674 (before my time at the CAT house) but the 3306 was a bullet proof engine. Not like the early 3400 series. The late 3306 DITA truck engine was rated at 350hp. As for the 1693....a guy told me one time, remove the fuel screw from the pump and HANG ON.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"