Maxitorque 7spd?

5th has a very tall OD also correct?They want to put a different trans in,but i'm pretty sure these 7spd trucks have steep rear gears.I plan to take it for a spin one of these days to see how it shifts,i don't think they understand the basic concept how these engine/trans work with their wide power band.

• Like 1

Had a '90 RD with a EM-6 300L/2070 in it.Had 5.55 rears in it because the 2050,2060,2070,&2080 all had a .60:1 OD in them. Had a 70mph top end with the 5.55's in it,and was a sweetheart off the road with a 14.16 crawler in it! Ordered it with the 2060 in it,but it wasn't low enough to get restarted in soft ground.My local MACK garage changed it to a 2070 for me,and that was the answer.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

5th has a very tall OD also correct?They want to put a different trans in,but i'm pretty sure these 7spd trucks have steep rear gears.I plan to take it for a spin one of these days to see how it shifts,i don't think they understand the basic concept how these engine/trans work with their wide power band.

If you change to a different trans. you will also have to change the rears.

I never drove a 2070,but there was an older 7 speed Maxitorque,I'm not sure what the number for it was,but it had the air splitter with reverse on the knob like a 6,10 and 12 speed,it was an overdrive transmission and you split the top 2 gears as I remember. it was a .78 od like the 10 and 12 speed.only drove one once,but I kinda liked it.

Agreed,Paul! Mike,I remember that trans,but not the number of it either.I think it came out in the late '70'-early '80's? Thought it would be a mainstay in the MACK powertrain specs (after reading a test in one of the big fleet mags),as it seemed to be what a lot of guys were looking for,"one more gear"! Hmmmmm,wonder what the problem was with them?

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Agreed,Paul! Mike,I remember that trans,but not the number of it either.I think it came out in the late '70'-early '80's? Thought it would be a mainstay in the MACK powertrain specs (after reading a test in one of the big fleet mags),as it seemed to be what a lot of guys were looking for,"one more gear"! Hmmmmm,wonder what the problem was with them?

I thought it was a good deal too,guess more Mack guys were worried about pulling stumps than passing Petes

• Like 2

That's the one,Ron! The earlier 2070 used that same knob,but you still only had 2 reverse gears.The 2070B had 5 reverse gears like the older six speeds did. By time my truck was built,they had switched to what I call "the upside down golf club" shift knob. I thought I was getting the earlier one,but no such luck!

• 3 months later...