New Baby

yarnall

The parade photo is my truck with the previous owner, Andy Henderson, behind the wheel. Must have been several years ago because the kid on the back is a lot bigger now.

Andy said two of the Chicago Magirus' were left outside in Minnesota and went to nothing. Do you have any pictures of them. Mike.

SOMEONE Needs to get the Super Pumper- it needs a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration. The engine in the tractor is blown and removed, and the pump engine is reported to be in poor health. The guy that has it is basically in a "holding pattern" due to having no money. But he does have it stored in a weathertight pole barn. It's going to take a TON of money- I have heard at least $100K alone to rebuild the Napier-Deltic engine.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

SOMEONE Needs to get the Super Pumper- it needs a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration. The engine in the tractor is blown and removed, and the pump engine is reported to be in poor health. The guy that has it is basically in a "holding pattern" due to having no money. But he does have it stored in a weathertight pole barn. It's going to take a TON of money- I have heard at least $100K alone to rebuild the Napier-Deltic engine.

Firematic on L.I. down the road from me, has the FDNY Super Pumper spare Napier-Deltic engine fo sale. It is cheaper than the rebuild cost,IF you can find somebody capable of dis assembly and re assembly. This give you an idea of the engine size. Paul

http://firematic.com/napier_deltic.htm

post-3242-0-69944300-1410887694.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Too bad that neither the FDNY Museum nor the Mack Museum didn't obtain the Super Pumper and Tender when they were retired. Definitely, one of a kind trucks that should have been

restored and put on public display.

bulldogboy

The Tender is owned by a collector by the name of Hewy Wick, out in the LA Area. He comes in here occasionally. He did a full restoration and it is regularly seen on the muster and parade circuit in the LA Area.

Too bad that neither the FDNY Museum nor the Mack Museum didn't obtain the Super Pumper and Tender when they were retired. Definitely, one of a kind trucks that should have been

restored and put on public display.

bulldogboy

Problem was, when they and the Satellite units were taken out of service they were just old units. The Tender and Pumper survived because they was always a potential use for them by other departments. A lot of FDNY trucks were unique to the city, like this one.

fdnymackcrew.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul if I'm not mistaken there were a half dozen or so of these FDNY R models with 237's and St Louis ran quite a few with 707's exclusively, with the newest ones running in reserve status until the early '90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Paul if I'm not mistaken there were a half dozen or so of these FDNY R models with 237's and St Louis ran quite a few with 707's exclusively, with the newest ones running in reserve status until the early '90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FDNY had 5 of these. They were special ordered as a test to evaluate the crew cabs. The wheelbase later disqualified the idea of any future purchases.

St Louis as well as Newark NJ and a few other cities and many, many small towns ran standard 2-door cab R-Model pumpers.

• Like 1

anyone know of a decent 'R' with fire body for sale?

You just missed a cherry one Albert- about this time last year one of the resort towns down at the New Jersey Shore sold one, was in real good shape too, it was refurbed in the 1990's. They used it as a boardwalk rig because of the short wheelbase. A local buff/collector got it and I heard he paid less than 3K for it. 237 and a 5 speed.

Was Magirus imported to the U.S. or did they have a North American Factory? I never knew they were here after WWII. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I believe they had some sort of a marketing agreement with Mack to sell the ladders that were imported from Germany. The big selling point was the availability of their 144' ladder, a much taller ladder than what was available here.

Over time most departments discovered that there was no great advantage to the taller ladders. After all when you are dealing with fifty story buildings, around 500' tall, what difference does another 44' make? Instead tactics were developed, along with building code changes, to deal with high-rise incidents from the interior.

We had two 135' E-One ladders for about ten years. During their service life I can only recall a couple of times when the extra 35' was necessary to accomplish our objectives. Given the low use versus the extra cost we opted to phase them out.

Aerial ladders main benefits are in gaining access to the roof and upper floors of non high-rise structures, usually buildings six stories or less; 100' is plenty of reach for that under most circumstances.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE