Polishing again, again and again...

By the way re-drilled the holes in the hub-piloted wheels to put them on studs.

Had to increase the hole's ID and made 45 degree tapered cavits.

Put those wheels as the inner rear ones.

Long while ago I asked on here of how to do it and Mike Superdog said me "You can not put hub-piloted wheels on studs".

Now I know he was almost true about that.

post-3971-0-14339400-1399035469_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-51493100-1399035481_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-50393400-1399035494_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-94691900-1399035527_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad, your rims look real sharp but all the polishing makes me want to keep mine painted white. I have had my one fuel tank polished only 1 year but it seems it always needs attention.

Yea Fred, I'm agree with you.

My truck is not for a work, it's a hobby one so I hope to keep it off snow and salt.

Gteat amount of labour was spent to delete deep corrosion cavits before polishing itself.

But it seems to me I should keep the truck inside for the next winter.

Or at least the tank and the wheels :)

Thank you for your comment.

Not so bad Ray.

There were no real lug nuts, just 19 mm bolt heads. I took the extra brake disk off Mercedes, cut it around with a lathe to form a seat surface for Alcoa.

Than bolted that part onto the existing Mercedes disc with Mercedes wheel bolts. Then put Alcoa with common bolts to the disk through the holes I drilled for.

Had to block Mercedes interaxle diff to not weld it up when spinning, had to remove the rear prop to get the vehicle unmoving.

Than had to block the front diff for the same purpose and jacked the other wheel.

Car did about 50-60 mph during the work, got 1000+ miles on it and spent 50 liters of gas. It's G500, 5 liter V8.

By the word if you ever catch an eye on a wrecked Mercedes Gelandewagen please let me know.

I might need them more when continue to polish.

No kidding, that's my current business, I part them out for spares.

My mother in law is on her 4th Gelandewagen here in the states. They are a ton of fun to drive off road and will go anywhere the boys the the big jacked up Jeeps and Pickups will... Not to mention the latest generation V8 is a rocketship.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Thank you for the warm words guys.

I'm going to put the R inside for the next cold season but actually have no place for.

Thinking about rebulid the front wall of my garage to make lager gates. One big instead of two small ones.

The only serious worry is... my living area is upstears and I must be shure to not destroy the building I built 10 years ago.

Ken, let me know please who the hell is OSHA?

Happily we here are free from such an organizations.

At least I am behind my fence. It's the private property and I'm free to do many things.

Until nobody knows. Or something wrong happens that must come out to a public.

• Like 1

Looks good Vlad, congratulations, whats next for the ol Dog?

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Looks good Vlad, congratulations, whats next for the ol Dog?

Thank you Ryan,

Next along this truck is making up a sleeper. I have the spare one, almost similar, and one more on the second R.

All 3 have rusty roofs wich are made of common steel. Some one economied a bit adding it onto a SS lined sleeper.

The under structure is also rusty. I'm going to part one box out as deep as I can, blast the skeleton, than put the lining back and fix or redo the roof.

And paint it. Than paint the hood and maybe the doors. That's the plan for the summer.

Yea, the air filter is mostly ready (more correctly say - fully restored) and will be fitted on in days.