What happen to the Wellington Mack ATHS was going to auction?

I would say this issue is not dead yet. This truck was specifically donated to the New England Chapter of ATHS. ATHS says chapters can't own anything. I guess solution is the former chapter must sell the truck? Or donate it to something like the Mack Museum?

In the short term, my understanding is the truck will be on loan to the Mack Museum

I believe ATHS would like to sell it to cover their overhead and fund other great projects-or should I say projects they deem to be great-like spending almost 100 grand to erect a huge CF/MFX neon sign on their property! Hopefully it will end up as apermanent addition to Mack Museum.

• Like 1

From what i was told it was donated to the New England chapter of the ATHS. The woman who owned Wellington only wanted a tax write off form saying she donated it and the Chapter here could not issue one but the3 national chapter could. So now they took the truck away from Yaworski and are storing it at Gary Mahans which is why from what im told Yaworski brings a lot less truck to shows then he use to. this is all from a reliable source but i still dont know if its all accurate.

• Like 1

Matt

I called ATHS and talked to the director before the auction. He said the decision was made several years previous to sell all the vehicles. They had already sold a bunch. I told him It was stupid to have that big building and not have any trucks in it. People expect to see trucks. He gave the answer that they can't keep everything that is donated and the donor got a tax write off which is what they were looking for. He said they pix to have it in the museum. I mentioned preserving history and there was not a truck with more history than that one. I suspect they got a lot of calls like mine before they made the decision. There was a huge uproar on the ATHS forum which led to a lot more lost members and hurt feelings. There was an effort to overthrow the board. I overheard Stormy Wilde talking about it after the election at that convention that most members were never on the forum and did not know anything about it .

I stopped and visited Dennis Yaworsky 18 months ago. That truck as not the reason he doesn't take as many trucks to shows. But that is another story. Mike

• Like 1

I quit ATHS after the message board take over and the issues with the board got out of control.... I think people lost sight of what its members wanted....there was a whole thread here on this subject...

It's sad because there was a lot of good people with a wealth of info that got lost with the issues ATHS has..

• Like 1

I think Mike got it close to right. Both the Yaworski collection as well as the Wellington are in about as good a hands as can be had in Gary Mahan!! We all are fortunate to have such a guy in the hobby.

It is obvious that the intent of the donation was to the NE chapter and the history of the region that the truck belonged in. Not some west coast location :) if you no what I mean?? I agree it should stay in the NE area or at the Mack Museum. Taking care of donor trucks is a big deal that costs money and takes a lot of volunteer time. I often wonder what will become of so many of these fine restorations in years to come not to mention just the collection of survivors that exist out there. Perhaps we should all consider donating to a fund that becomes an endowment to benefit the ongoing of collections.

I don't know much about the particulars on this truck, but as a board member of an organization that owns donated trucks I can see both sides of the donated truck issue. We would all love to have perpetual care for our beloved restorations, but the reality is that no organization can afford that.

I don't blame any organization that sells any trucks that are donated to them. Generally the organization needs cash, not another expense, and the donor still gets the tax break they wanted. Since there is no requirement for a charitable organization to take the highest bidder the organization can pick who ends up with the truck. If the sale is handled properly the truck should go to a good home where it will be cared for and get out on the show circuit for all of us to enjoy.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!