Joined a gym..

Eastcoastdiesel

Good luck at the gym

Do want you want to work on. Aerobics or strength training

Take it easy for the first few days/weeks. Your body will let you know you are going to far. Listen to it.

Don't try to lift 200 pounds right away-you end up with a hernia-like me

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Great testimony Bulldog Man. I need to keep reading it so as to become motivated to get moving and knock off a few pounds. At one point in my life I was running about 30 miles a week and it does become a GOOD drug. Keep it up.

• Like 1

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Thank you so much for the encouragement and stories guys. :)

Matter of fact it is the summerville YMCA I have joined. I just hope I can find awesome friends like y'all have to give me that extra push!

You're welcome. Now stop pushing computer keys and start pushing weights!!!! LOL Just kidding. Workout and eat right- remember they go hand in hand.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Great testimony & story. Most likely a lot of us could use more exercise and a better diet. I retired thee years ago and your post gave me a wake up call. I realized that I am in the worst shape I have ever was in. Not good 5' 9" 180# but fixing a flat on my Mack left me short of breath. Good luck to you and Eastcoastdiesel stick with it.

• Like 1

In the South, most things are fried. It's the best way to cook some food.

BUT, look for foods that are baked, grilled, etc. NO LARD (gasp)

Light on the seasonings too. Some stuff has so much other stuff, it defeats the purpose.

Vegetables-lots of them

Fruits

One of the best ways is to cook you own so you can control it.

Once in a while you can go off the specialty foods. You need a splurge time; just don't let it go on a three day binge.

Cut back on alcohol intake-if you so imbibe

Chicken is good. So many ways to cook. Also fish. Not Tuna from a can.

I tell you this with a big crock pot full of chili in the kitchen.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

In the South, most things are fried. It's the best way to cook some food.

BUT, look for foods that are baked, grilled, etc. NO LARD (gasp)

Light on the seasonings too. Some stuff has so much other stuff, it defeats the purpose.

Vegetables-lots of them

Fruits

One of the best ways is to cook you own so you can control it.

Once in a while you can go off the specialty foods. You need a splurge time; just don't let it go on a three day binge.

Cut back on alcohol intake-if you so imbibe

Chicken is good. So many ways to cook. Also fish. Not Tuna from a can.

I tell you this with a big crock pot full of chili in the kitchen.

Agreed, also turkey and from what Im told a few ounces of alcohol a day is good for your cardio system, a top notch vascular surgeon told me this..

Agreed, also turkey and from what Im told a few ounces of alcohol a day is good for your cardio system, a top notch vascular surgeon told me this..

Heard that today...a few ounces a day.....not several bottles! However us diabetics can't have any. :thumbsdown:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Thanks DCR & Eddeere : It was a mind set I had to make up my mind I wanted to do this & the dr telling me what he did made my mind up . ;)

BTW Yall I used to dread being behind a push mower now I don't mind @ all . ;)

ECD - YW Keep it up & I agree w/ everything Randy (1958 FWD ) Ed (Hatcity ) have said . I Couldn't had said it better myself fellas . My grandma used to cook w/ a lot of Lard & fatback too . now I wonder how in the hell I ate like that .

1 of my other weakness besides Tops BBQ Is my Grandmother's Homemade Blackberry cobbler that my older sister , my Aunt & Cousin know how to make just like she did . I Eat my weight in it if I don't watch myself . it is 1 of my favorite splurges to this day . I had just a small helping @ Christmas & my family was surprised not only the way I looked but the way I ate . I used to eat 3 or 4 plates then 2 or 3 plates of dessert . now around the holidays I eat 1 plate & a small helping of dessert & im done . My family was trying to get me to eat more @ Christmas ...lol I didn't budge . ;)

I Used to drink Jack Daniels Black label on the weekends like water . & kept @ least a fifth in the freezer most of the time I had a half gallon of JD Black . . now I hardly drink any alcohol @ all . I drank some @ new years 1 st time in I don't know when . & whats left of the JD Honey will be used by myself or a buddy for cooking.

I eat a lot of grilled chicken , white turkey meat, fish, (I love grilled salmon) & eat quite a bit of Subway, & Lenny's (a Memphis based sub shop) I rarely eat mayo anymore on any sandwich . most of the time I use mustard , or sweet onion sauce @ subway .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Bulldog Man its funny you mentioned the mower because that is one of the things I do to stay active. I have a big enough

yard for a rider but I kept the push mower and it forces me to move. I've always tried to stay active (mountain biking, weights,

golf, etc) but in the summer when your working a ton of hours it gets tough to squeeze in workouts so mowing is at least

one way to get moving. I try to look at washing my truck and trailer as a workout or if I'm doing lowboy stuff and slinging

chains it feels better to get up and move rather than sitting on my ass all day. Gonna be 34 shortly and getting a little

fatter than I'd like to be, so I've cut back on the boredom snacking and am trying to get my ass back in gear. It's tough

after a 12 hour day in the truck but, gotta do it. Good luck to all.

• Like 1

Much of my diet is dictated by my RNY Gastric Bypass. There is a lot that I can and cannot eat. Many think "oooh gastric bypass- he can't eat anything good anymore." Baloney. In fact I am tired of meat all the time. I would love to have a salad- they are ok for me, they have vitamins and nutrients but no protein. I have to eat a lot of meat, eggs, nuts, granolas, and other protein food. Beans are good for me (HAH!) Chili is a great food for me to have- especially turkey or venison chili!!!!

I am the last person to dispense diet advice, but from my limited edumacation, the three biggest downfalls of the American diet:

1. Too much carbohydrate intake/not enough protein.

2. Too much sugar intake

3. Portions too large.

Part of a successful eating is overcoming your mind's tendency to dictate how much you eat. "I want to eat a whole pizza" or "I want to eat four slices."

Bullshit. That's your mind talking. You need to slap yourself upside your head and convince your mind that "I only NEED to eat one slice. And some chicken" (or another source of protein.)

Easter Sunday of 2012 I cut out ALL soda. All of it. Even the diet soda, They are garbage in liquid form, especially non-diet sodas. And I drank a 2-liter bottle of Coke or Dr Pepper a day. It was tough breaking the habit but I did it. I also cut out all sugary junk foods like candy. If I want a snack, I'll grab a handful of peanuts, or a granola bar, or a tablespoon of peanut butter.

I cut out a lot of bread. I might have a roll (like say with a cheese steak or tuna/chicken salad) once or twice a week but for the most part I eat flour tortillas (wraps) instead of bread with sandwiches. Most carbs went out the door too- potatoes (unless if it's a baked sweet tater- they're ok as they have a lot of protein) and the hard one for me- PASTA. Giving up pasta in quantity sucked royally. Love me a big old plate of red gravy and meat balls and pasta. But I can still have a little bit- just angel hair as thats the only kind my stomach can now tolerate and digest properly.

Deserts: For me, sugar is bad news. I wont get into the specifics but if you are curious, just google "Gastric Bypass Dumping." No one is saying you have to cut out sugary food altogether, but cutting back is absolutely in order. No sugary stuff for breakfast- have some oatmeal instead. I have a FANTASTIC overnight crock-pot oatmeal recipe.

Cut back and cut out is in order. Cut back on the portions. Cut out the garbage. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat more chicken and fish without processed sauces. Learn to cook using spices and other natural flavors. Steamed and baked pork, fish and chicken can be fantastic if you learn how to do it right.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS