7 speed has gotta go

mackncheese

Got a 7 sp 2070B in a 1999 RD 690 S with a 400hp E7. I love the truck but hate the transmission. Would like a 13 or 18 speed. The truck is a low mileage and in very nice shape and I got it pretty cheap. I know I will have to change the rear gears as mine are 5:32. I realize all of this will be expensive but I have been looking at trading the truck in and can't find a truck in similar shape as mine for close to the money. My question is how complicated is this swap. A parts guy at a Mack dealer acts like I am crazy for even considering this. Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

The space or step between all gears is too much. I pull a 20 ton tag with a 160 trackhoe in a hilly region and it is really sluggish. even on a pretty flat road in 5th you can watch the pyro temp rise. I think fuel mileage will improve but I realize there will be no return on this "investment". I just don't enjoy driving a truck that won't go. I have a 79 Ford LTL with a 400 big cam and a 13 speed and that truck really pulls. The Ford is old and rough so the Mack is the main truck.

I would swap it out for another Mack trans, with gears as low as yours you can go to a std range trans the low in a T313LR or T318LR would just be wasted. Remember the old LTL with the 400 Cummins is going to pull better eaverything else being close to equal, your comparing a 14 liter engine to a 12 liter engine. Your egg's shouldn't climb over 900 with a stock 400 no matter what the trans or rears and especially not with rears in the 5's, that's a lot of torque multiplication. I would recommend checking the engine out first, if your egt's are getting high on a stock 400 with low gears your probably not getting enough air to the engine, check for boost leaks and other issues before you swap your trans. I agree the gear steps in a 7 speed are pretty ridiculous but with 5.32 rears and a 400 I find it hard to believe it doesn't pull good. I've run tri axle Mack RD dumps with 350hp, 8LL, and 4.42 rears on tall 24.5 rubber and they ran fine around 74000#, mind you 460's run better but my poi t being your not heavy enough to be that bad off with 5.32 rears.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

You poor guy. I had that seven speed in a 89 R model. It grossed 85,000 and that shift from 6 to 7 was terrible. For some reason we also had lots of clutch wear, and we even switched drivers in that truck to see if it'd make a difference. For rear ends you can buy a whole back "cutoff" for $1500. As for the tranny, I put a 9spd in mine and it was so much better

2070 and 2080 trans suck for running the road and climbing hills. I have a 2080 from stock and I would love to change it. if you have a lot of hills that you pull i would go with an 18 so you can split the bottom for off road.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Egt still shouldn't climb on flat ground definitely not to 1000, and 28# of manifold press sounds low for a Vmac 3 300 or 400hp engine seems it should be closer to 34, my 400 was anyway.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

you drive it like a straight 5. on the 2070 , 1st and 2nd split button down, are used for off road deep red. on the 2080 1,2,3 button down off road but you can use all 5 if need be. not recommended.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Hated the 2060/2070/2080 transmissions. All seamed to be behind a low rpm engine with real slow rear ends. It gave you no options besides replace the trans,the rear ends and up the rpm to 2100.

At work we have a RD lowboy truck e7 400 with a 8LL and 4.17 rears. That truck pulls 100k+ with ease. Only thing better would be a trans with more reverse gears.

More reverse gears? you have 3 already! lol