Adding hydraulic lines for detach trailer

Deere Mack

Good Morning! My truck has a wet kit, but I've never used it. As of now it has a single line that was used on a dump trailer. Supposidly everything works? I'd like to add two lines to opperate my detach trailer. I've been using the pony motor that came on the trailer, it's plumbed in with two quick connects. I'd like to keep the pony for back up. I would also like to keep the single line for the dump trailer and just add the two for my detach trailer. My pto looks like it has a spot for two more connections, do I just plumb it in and rock and roll, or is there more to it?

Good Morning! My truck has a wet kit, but I've never used it. As of now it has a single line that was used on a dump trailer. Supposidly everything works? I'd like to add two lines to opperate my detach trailer. I've been using the pony motor that came on the trailer, it's plumbed in with two quick connects. I'd like to keep the pony for back up. I would also like to keep the single line for the dump trailer and just add the two for my detach trailer. My pto looks like it has a spot for two more connections, do I just plumb it in and rock and roll, or is there more to it?

I can go out to my truck and climb under it and trace the lines with some pics for you. It is still dry here Should have one from the tank to pump. Pump to back then a return back to the tank or pump to recirculate. Or take the trip to B'ham and look for yourself :whistling:

• Like 1

1 1/4 suction from tank then 1" presure back to cylinder (says that on pump) this goes to the dump trailer fitting to raise it up. U need a retun beside the pressure line to retun back to the tank. For a 3 line system u need a return from the third port on the pump that retuns to the tank ( it CAN NOT be plumbed in with the suction line either) If the 3rd line system is used u need to remove the suction fitting on the pump and install a sleeve inside the pump and put the fitting back on. If u have any more questions i can help as much as possible. I ve installed 3 systems in the last 2 months. Good Luck ~Joe

• Like 1

I installed a wet kit on my B model over the winter so I can run the winch on a lowboy. I used the line from the dump trailer for the pressure side and had to install another return in the other end of the tank so it will circulate,( if you don't the oil will get hot after a while ). works good on both trailers.

We have them set up on both our tractors as the pressure side for dump and detach comes out of pump and then one for return to tank. You only hook dump up to pressure line.

That's how I have mine setup, pressure line going to dump trailer.

• Like 1

We have them set up on both our tractors as the pressure side for dump and detach comes out of pump and then one for return to tank. You only hook dump up to pressure line.

Thats the easiest way right there, just need a dump control that will stay in the raise position to keep pressure going to the trailer while you run the neck, then the return line can just go straight to tank from the trailer, Dump systems or "single line wet kits" just return back thru the pump and suction line when you move the control to lower. The only real difference is the pressure settings, Rogers manufacturing sets dump pumps at 2500psi and two line lowboys at 3000psi but you wont ever notice just put the control in raise and idle the truck up to about 800-1000rpm and run the neck, most dump pumps are going to make 2500psi thru a 1" line under 1000rpm so going over is just going to open the relief and heat up your oil.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

if his truck is already set up with a single line Kit I would drain the oil in your wet tank, remove tank and have a bung welded on it to accept a return line to it. the return line will run from your deck plate trailer connection back to the welded bung on the tank. I prefer this route because it lets the oil flow better and keeps it cool. I never liked running the return right back to the pump just because of heat reason if the pto was left in when loading a machine or something and forgetting to turn it off.

just my .02

I can go out to my truck and climb under it and trace the lines with some pics for you. It is still dry here Should have one from the tank to pump. Pump to back then a return back to the tank or pump to recirculate. Or take the trip to B'ham and look for yourself :whistling:

I hear ya man! I'd love to come hang, there's a lot of good music going on in B'ham and most of it's coming from my home town :). I just don't have the time......who am I kidding, my wife would kill me, I'm on probation...lol

Thanks for all the great tips! I'll post some pic's of what I got to work with later today.

So if I understand, I can use the single dump line I already have and just add a return line to the tank?

Exactly...plan the hose route with the tank on the truck to make sure you have clearance for the driveshaft. Then just drain and remove tank, weld a threaded bung for your return line. Then run the hose up to your deck plate.

Also some people choose to run a 1" feed and 1" return ....others use a 1" and 3/4" ...it really depends on what everyone does in your area..

That sounds easy enough! But I'm sure I'll figure out the hard way to do it, lol... Looks like I need to add line to the tank and make an small adapter hose for the dump line to use on my exsisting quick connects for the supply line. Remember, I'm wanting to keep the pony motor for back up. Here's a few pic's of what I got to work with. Sorry I dropped the ball on this one, it finally quit raining and I've been full throttle!

post-5458-0-75630900-1376568102_thumb.jp

post-5458-0-52777700-1376568231_thumb.jp

post-5458-0-30040400-1376568256_thumb.jp

post-5458-0-51557300-1376568267.jpg

What I have seen is on the pony motor is on the pump they have it set up as a bypass so you plug you lines to it and it just bypasses then when you fire up the pony motor it works also.I would just change the fittings on the trailer to the spin ons likt you have for the dump.that way you have one size fitting and type for everything vs making adapters, and trying to get stuff to be compatible.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, digging up an old bone here. I've just now got back around to this project and it's not working. Made the lines up and made a return for the tank. I drained the tank before we welded the new return and put new back in. I only put about 12 gallon back in, should this be enough to run the detach? or do I need more. I can hear the PTO engaging but I'm not getting anything/no pressure.

Your relief in the pump could be messed up or something wrong with the valve. Make sure the linkage going to the valve on the pump is working properly.

On the two line wet kits I install that are only going to be used for a detach, Landoll, and such, I don't even put a control in the cab. I just move the valve spool to the raise (pressure) position and leave it there.

It doesn't take much oil to run a detach. Probably just a couple of gallons but you've got to keep enough oil in the tank as to not create a vortex and suck air through the suction to the pump.

• Like 1

Looks like raise to me but somebody could have hooked it up different.

Have you confirmed the valve spool on the pump is moving when you move the lever?

Hope to take a look today, it's all air operated. From the back side I'm guessing that spool should be pushed all the way in. In the photo (post #13) it looks like it's pushed out, which I think would be to lower. When the rain slacks up I'll take a look. Thanks