Nebraska Chevy Dealer

farmer52

Ken,great article! i'd sure like to own that cameo pickup! only impala I really liked is the 62' "bubbletop" somebodies gonna make a killing off of this sale for sure!.........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Now that is a unique way to save for retirement. I hope the family does very well and makes a killing.

Don't we all wish we bought a couple of 67 vettes when they were around $3k and put them in the barn to fund our golden years?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I'm only about 250 miles from that town, may ride over and check it out. BTW, this isn't all that unusual- people in the rural plains states tend to keep stuff forever... But given all the media attention this auction has gotten there will be plenty of bidders and few bargains! As for old trucks, I've found a couple Marmon cabovers in South Dakota as well as a pair of 70s Diamond Reo conventionals and everything else under the sun. Keep in mind though that even a new vehicle that's been parked and never driven for decades will probably have a ton of problems with dried up gaskets, rust, etc. and need new tires as well. Then again, if the vehicle is still on MSO, the warranty may still be valid!

I'm only about 250 miles from that town, may ride over and check it out. BTW, this isn't all that unusual- people in the rural plains states tend to keep stuff forever... But given all the media attention this auction has gotten there will be plenty of bidders and few bargains! As for old trucks, I've found a couple Marmon cabovers in South Dakota as well as a pair of 70s Diamond Reo conventionals and everything else under the sun. Keep in mind though that even a new vehicle that's been parked and never driven for decades will probably have a ton of problems with dried up gaskets, rust, etc. and need new tires as well. Then again, if the vehicle is still on MSO, the warranty may still be valid!

Found any U models?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I doubt this is going to be a low key auction. They are getting the word out as much as possible to generate as much interest as possible. I expect museums and big to e collectors will be there with open check books. I emailed the auction company to get more info on the event and a full list of vehicles going through. If my shop can grab one or two cars it would be worth it.

Now that is a unique way to save for retirement. I hope the family does very well and makes a killing.

Don't we all wish we bought a couple of 67 vettes when they were around $3k and put them in the barn to fund our golden years?

Carl - I agree! I should have bought a few HEMI Cudas when they were about $4K or a few Plymouth Superbirds when dealers could barely get people to buy them. But hindsight is 20/20.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken,great article! i'd sure like to own that cameo pickup! only impala I really liked is the 62' "bubbletop" somebodies gonna make a killing off of this sale for sure!.........................Mark

mark i sure wish i had my old belair "bubbletop" 409/409 back. (i wish i had a lot of things back i guess)

• Like 1

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

hmm, seems the auction company will probably make the killin also. i always like the body lines of those Impala's. not much for the Corvettes after they got rid of the chrome from and rear bumpers and went to plastic tho. Sears Oil was said to have some brand new R models in the hangers but when I asked one of the kids about it they didn't wanna know anything haha. they were known for buyin 10 trucks, registerin and runnin 5 and putting the other 5 in the back hangers . the old man had the idea he was saving money cause when those 5 were worn out in 5-6 years he had the other ones to use up and he figure he bought them cheaper than he could replace them after. only problem was 6 , 8 or 10 years later it was hard to make someone drive an old Brockway with a 318 or a B model with a 673 when everyone else had big power.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

a few years ago,and I'm certain I read about it in here,there was a R700 and F700,both Cummins powered and heavy Michigan spec'd,stored in a warehouse in Michigan,both near zero mileage,plus a Brockway with under 1k miles.

Wow. I'm not a Chevy fan but that's sweet. No miles, counter thing is just on the first turn. And plastics still on the seats. If only I found some U models like that....

odometer,Vinny

In a way, these will be high priced, low mileage "barn finds" with all the attendant problems. As for low mileage U models, I wouldn't be surprised to find one... Several big carriers with Mack fleets like Murphy closed their doors after deregulation and the trucks were often auctioned off. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find a low mileage U model or other Mack that was bought for some low mileage use and is still hangin' around. There are also government fleets to look through- for example the South Dakota State Patrol has a Marmon cabover that is rarely driven.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to find a low mileage U model or other Mack that was bought for some low mileage use and is still hangin' around

Most likely in a farmer's shed. Used once a year to bring the grain in and run it to the elevator. Probably the only thing not rusted out is the odometer.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Most likely in a farmer's shed. Used once a year to bring the grain in and run it to the elevator. Probably the only thing not rusted out is the odometer.

Funny you say that our superliners odometer stayed under 100,000 for 23yrs and when it hit 100,000 it broke and started spinning like crazy.

Matt

a few years ago,and I'm certain I read about it in here,there was a R700 and F700,both Cummins powered and heavy Michigan spec'd,stored in a warehouse in Michigan,both near zero mileage,plus a Brockway with under 1k miles.

odometer,Vinny

I know that's the odometer, but the counter one on the way right of the numbers. I don't think theres a specific name for that one.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

There was a company called PIRSCH in Kenosha Wisconsin that built fire trucks, it was closed down 1990 /or so and had a new Pete in the shop the body partially installed and Ford 9000 series Pumper in the paint shop that was taped up still there in 2000, tied up in the courts.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sounds like the Hostess bankruptcy, most of the trucks have been parked since november, plates expired, etc. and who knows when they'll get sold. The deadline just passed for bids on the remaining properties, Flowers Baking still hasn't got antitrust clearance to buy part of the company, and they've had ingredients and such sitting since november, and nobody seems to even know what all the company owns.

A pretty normal occurrence from what I've seen. There was a ship yard in Greenport that closed in 1957 when the owner died. We walked through it in 1992 and aside from the dust it looked like the workers went home at the end of the day. A Blow torch on a bench next to a hull being stripped of paint, a forty some thing foot boat on the weigh's. The job chart on the wall with work numbers on it, a new Chrysler flat head marine engine in a crate. Hardware, paint and fittings in the parts room and the largest bandsaw I've ever seen with a partially cut part on it. All tied up in probate court.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE