Not good....

When I blew the turbo, I changed the oil. This is the first oil change since then...and I found a whole bunch of stuff that shouldn't have been in the oil pan. Now I'm HOPING those are just pieces of the turbo that have washed down into the pan...otherwise, it's gonna cost more than I've got. Anyone recognize these pieces? Am I on borrowed time? Or are they just remnants of the blown turbo?

post-1673-0-45348600-1369002055_thumb.jp

For what it's worth, I flushed out the pan with a gallon of clean oil about a quart at a time to get the last (I hope) pieces out. Might pour that clean oil back through again just to be sure...hate to leave stuff in there if I can get it out.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I hope you're wrong too. I can't afford to do anything about something major like that right now, so I'l just have to hope it holds together. Pretty sure I have breakdown insurance, so if it blows up in spectacular fashion, I might be able to get help paying for it....

I'm still hoping those are turbo bits & pieces...I changed the oil when I put the new turbo in after the last one blew up. This is the first oil change since then.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I hope I'm wrong but those snap rings look like the ones that hold the wrist pin in the piston

That is what I thought. What is the diameter of the ring? The big piece in the lower left kinda looks like part of a thrust bearing.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The snap ring is from the turbo. t holds the floating brg in the housing and also you see another ring there which is the seal ring on the exhaust side of the shaft.Well there will be a seal ring on the inbtake side as well. So stop worrying cause if it as wrist ping ring you would already heard a chunk chunk.

glenn akers

I had all of that apart about a week after the turbo blew when I was changing the exhaust manifold gaskets...didn't see any obstructions.

The turbo outflow empties directly into the fill tube, which is a straight shot into the pan....no narrow passages to be found on that journey to the pan.

How do pieces that large make it down to the oil pan?

Most Turbo drain lines go straight to a return passage in the block and straight to the pan and most of them are at least .5"id, you owuld be amased what will get thru.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

They came out through the drain hole. Some required a little effort, though. Quite a few pieces were stuck to the magnetic drain plug. One larger piece was wedged into the hole and I had to go after it with my finger after the oil had finished draining. I got another piece or two out while flushing it with the first gallon of clean oil...second gallon did not flush out any additional pieces, so I put the drain plug back in and filled 'er up.

I saved the 2 gallons of clean oil...figure I'll strain it and use it in the lawn mower since it uses/leaks quite a bit of oil anyway. No point in throwing out that much new oil...

Slide a piece of rubber hose over a telescoping magnet and go down the fill tube to see if you can fish out anymore pieces. The rubber will keep the sides of the magnet from sticking to the tube.

I know it would be a major PIA, but I'd drop the pan if it can be done in-frame. Than you can check the pick up screen for obstruction.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

If you don't already do it, I would recommend an oil analysis. Because of this little scare perhaps do it half way through the oil change cycle then again at oil change. I do them a couple times a year on my pick up truck. Appears that I have a leaky (hopefully) intake manifold gasket again. All metals are well within normal limits.

• Like 1

If you don't already do it, I would recommend an oil analysis. Because of this little scare perhaps do it half way through the oil change cycle then again at oil change. I do them a couple times a year on my pick up truck. Appears that I have a leaky (hopefully) intake manifold gasket again. All metals are well within normal limits.

Yup...Call Giles and Ransome Caterpillar in Bensalem, Pa. have your credit card handy and order a single analysis kit over the phone- IIRC costs like $16.95 or so. That includes the kit (sample bottle, overpack bottle, draw tube, paid/labeled shipping tyvek envelope and the paperwork..) PLUS it includes the cost of the analysis itself. You cant go wrong- for less than $20 bucks you get an idea of what your engine is doing internally. Giles and Ransome Cat will analyze any make/model of engine- I send them a sample from the Waukesha gasser in my firetruck every other year just to see whats going on.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

You blow out and flush the intercooler also?When I blew a turbo on an old 60 series I can't remember how much crap came out then more on the oil change.

Yeah, I pulled the entire intake system from the air cleaner through to the manifold off and got a ride home to flush it all out. Used a gallon of purple power, 1/2 a bottle of dish soap, and who knows how many gallons of water from the garden hose flushing that thing out until I wasn't getting anymore indication of oil. And yes, I sent the water the opposite direction that the air would flow to push stuff back out the way it went in.

If you have time during the next oil change, drain the oil and flush a couple gallons of diesel or kerosene through the oil pan, you can let soak and it will breakdown any sludge deposits in the bottom of the pan and if you put in enough it will clean the pick up screen. You can keep recycle flushing it as long as you strain it, works better than oil.

If you pick up any older service manuals this is what was used to flush the housings/pans I do a lot of older tractor work and it does wonders on getting crap out and you can see the metal. Pour the flush in to a 5 gallon bucket and drop in a magnet in a zip lock see what you find

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."