Double clutching

dds92780

How often do you guys double clutch? I found that its very useful for climbing a hill and getting in the gear quickly to get torque going again quicker. Is it a good practice to do this all day long when loaded or just when you feel you need it? My dad was saying thats how we were taught back in the day to shift and there is nothing wrong with it as long as you are not slipping it. So this is how i do it. I go to around 1600 1700 and just as i get it out of gear i put the clutch about 50 - 70 percent down and it goes right in ( most of the time) and its a smooth transition. Is this how you all do it? Or do you have any tips? Will this wear out the clutch faster and require the clutch to be adjusted more frequently and should be avoided or is it just fine to do as long as you do it right?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I was never taught to double clutch, but when I started with my company, I taught myself (had the knowledge on "how", just needed practice). Now I always clutch up (mostly to keep the engine brake from coming on), but am still working on down. plus, I find that floating the downshift makes better use of the engine brake, I can get through the gears faster. A few seconds lost to clutching can make a difference running heavy downhill. I also kinda cheater clutch the bottom 4 in the 8LL, pull it out of gear with the clutch in, let it out as the revs drop, and catch the next gear clutch out, just enough delay to keep the engine brake off. Makes for a smoother take off.

Edited by j_martell

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I usually never clutch at all, unless I'm on a grade and need to unload it to get it out of gear easier and quicker then leaving off the throttle only. Beyond that, I just float in/out. I couldn't image having to use the clutch that much, day in/day out. My head hurts thinking about it. I've got strong legs, that is not an issue.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Our old RD floats nice, partially because it doesn't have a Jake, but the powerleash in the mp7 is too fast for me to beat into gear. Nice forgetting going upa grade with a good load on, but that's it. Nice, smooth, even pull with the clutch

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Ken, try this: When needing to shift, ease off the fuel and start pushing on the shifter towards neutral. You'll feel it come out when the power is finally unloaded. Go with it, don't dilly dally or it might rake and grind things. No doubt with a cabover and all the monkey motion linkage it will take more finesse to get handy at it. Work on gettin it out of gear, that's half the battle. Once you get the "feel" of how the shifter works, you can work on the rest of it.

I don't watch the tach, that's too much to deal with> It is all by sound/feel.

Larry

Ken, try this: When needing to shift, ease off the fuel and start pushing on the shifter towards neutral. You'll feel it come out when the power is finally unloaded. Go with it, don't dilly dally or it might rake and grind things. No doubt with a cabover and all the monkey motion linkage it will take more finesse to get handy at it. Work on gettin it out of gear, that's half the battle. Once you get the "feel" of how the shifter works, you can work on the rest of it.

I don't watch the tach, that's too much to deal with> It is all by sound/feel.

Larry - been able to do it that way a few times but have better luck double clutching. Usually don't have a problem getting it out of gear, it is getting into the next gear. I think the linkage is the reason. There is no linkage in conventional trucks.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I used to double clutch on every shift when I drove a 300/5 spd. F model because it worked best, hardly ever use the clutch now except for stopping and backing up.

Thats just what i was gonna say! truthfully,i think now i'd be hard pressed to get a clean shift using the clutch!......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

+1 mhe9 and train, I only use a clutch when I need to get it out of gear under load. Oh and when I take off, can't figure out how to take off without a clutch.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

+1 mhe9 and train, I only use a clutch when I need to get it out of gear under load. Oh and when I take off, can't figure out how to take off without a clutch.

:SMOKIE-LFT: Taking off without the clutch, sounds like it could get messy. If you ever get that one figured out let me know. I see guys all the time that are too lazy to push the clutch all the way in to engauge the clutch brake, the noises you get from that makes it bad enough.

:SMOKIE-LFT: I see guys all the time that are too lazy to push the clutch all the way in to engauge the clutch brake, the noises you get from that makes it bad enough.

That, or they push it in all the way when they're moving which ruins the clutch brake very quickly.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That, or they push it in all the way when they're moving which ruins the clutch brake very quickly.

How true. My bosses boy used to over grease the throw out bearing all the time when he was first greasing the trucks, got the clutch brakes full of grease, we had to was them up with brake clean. we weren't long clueing him in on that.

It ain't easy but it can be done.Broke the clutch cable on my '76 R model one time,managed to make it to Burlington,get unloaded and back home to the shop.Had to shut it off and start it by just getting it in gear by the time it fired.ain't something I'd want to do everyday,but it worked.

Buddy ran a load to Chicago and back with no clutch linkage. No biggie. I had to drive our F450 home(about 15 mi) few years back. Hyd clutch went out, driver called. Told him I'd be down and get it. Hopped in(push clutch to activate starter) and chucked in 1st and away we went. Got home and parked in shop without issue. They looked in awe in how I did that. Brains, man, Brains.

Larry

Buddy ran a load to Chicago and back with no clutch linkage. No biggie. I had to drive our F450 home(about 15 mi) few years back. Hyd clutch went out, driver called. Told him I'd be down and get it. Hopped in(push clutch to activate starter) and chucked in 1st and away we went. Got home and parked in shop without issue. They looked in awe in how I did that. Brains, man, Brains.

I drove Shoeshine Boy's Transtar II Eagle with a 13 speed to South Carolina once to deliver a load of garden tractors because he was in an accident in his pickup on the way to work. The clutch cable broke somewhere along the way, but I got the load off and drove it back to Appomattox. Wasn't bad at all once I got going, I timed the stop lights and popped it out of gear, got it back in before I came to a complete stop and didn't have any problems.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It ain't easy but it can be done.Broke the clutch cable on my '76 R model one time,managed to make it to Burlington,get unloaded and back home to the shop.Had to shut it off and start it by just getting it in gear by the time it fired.ain't something I'd want to do everyday,but it worked.

Yeah I haven't ever had to do it but I've seen it down, I'm actually planning to swap my cable just because it looks crusty and I don't want to have to try driving without it. I was planning to put in the 13 spd I had and do the low effort clutch and a new cable this month but upon further inspection the transmission needs a rebuild. I was gonna put it in anyway but after some thought I don't think one that's already got issues will live long behind a turned up E9. So the search is back on for a 13 or 18 spd Eaton, I would like to trade my 4.64 carriers for one but I haven't had a bite on that yet.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I almost never use the clutch on up changes but years of habit mean I use it on down shifts although I am down shifting more and mor without it and find it slots in nicer without the clutch (most times)