JTFormula

GMC General at abandoned house

I like that battery box. I cant make out the brand name on the stickers. Could you tell me where you ordered it and how much?

Thanks, Steve

If you fasten that box too rigid in that position, it will break apart in no time. There is too much frame flex in that area.

Take this from somebody that mounted a aluminum hyd tank in a similar fashion. After fixing cracks several times, I finally got wise and moved the tank.

You may get by with a flange clamp with some springs on the bolts. Only issue you might run into is it walking around due to it not being positively fastened.

Keep up the progress report and pictures. Thanks Joe D.

post about the dent pulling in the tanks.

Do you work on old Hahn firetrucks?

• Like 1

He does like them Deeetroits!

• Like 1

This is probably a longshot, But we used to have a '78 General. In the early 1990's, we needed a couple of windshield wiper motors for it. Westfall GMC in Kansas City was where we finally found some. At that time, they had a lot of new Old Stock parts for the Generals. I don't know if they might still have anything stored away, but it might be worth a shot if you needed anything body/interior wise...

• Like 1

This is probably a longshot, But we used to have a '78 General. In the early 1990's, we needed a couple of windshield wiper motors for it. Westfall GMC in Kansas City was where we finally found some. At that time, they had a lot of new Old Stock parts for the Generals. I don't know if they might still have anything stored away, but it might be worth a shot if you needed anything body/interior wise...

jim price chevrolet in charlottesville va has a decent line of gmc older stuff also. most parts have to be ordered though and all at premium price

I'm am seriously thinking about driving up to you to do a Save the General video when you are done.

Damn, been painted a few times! Paul

Original color was Red. It was painted white next. Yellow was from a construction company called Johnson Bros in NJ. Blue was Best Paving out of Toms River NJ.

• Like 1

I got the stacks almost finalized tonight. Really wish i could find a driver side cab stack mount, but i'm sure ill come across one. now the next decision is what to do for toppers on top of the mufflers. I'm thinking just flat top 5" to keep it somewhat original. I'm not a huge fan of turnouts, so my other option would be a pair of mitres, which im not opposed to. Nothing is finalized yet (which is evident by my ratchet strap fixturing haha) so any input is welcomed.

image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

• Like 1

Miters would look best IMO. What do YOU like? Paul