Classic Plates

I notice in a lot of my pictures that people have the classic license plate on the front? I cannot find anything in the regs that mentions where to put the plate...any reason to put it on the front?

Thanks

Also, a classic truck needs an annual inspection, does a normal car inspection shop do this? Do they issue a normal car sticker? I cant find any pictures of classic trucks that have a normal inspection sticker in the window...

Thank again!

There are no instuctions where to put the plate, so we followed the pattern of regular truck tractors, after all, you can still pull a trailer. Good question about the inspection, never thought about it, but we always had a commercial inspection mechanic do it.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

daveigou,you bring up a good point.You say that we can still pull trailers,I was always told that once you put antique tags on your tractor you could not pull trailers anymore.I have the antique tags on my 79 R-model but I still pull trailers anyways.I just keep my toes cross when I get stop.My insurance company is ok with pulling trailers as long as it not for work,play only.Mike Durkin

We had used the same logic that since they were tractors the tag went on the front, but I had a state cop come up behind me on 422 while driving my father's B85. She asked over her PA where my license was. I pointed to the front of the truck. She replied that it should be on the back and drove off. It is still on the front of the truck. Since then we put the license on the back of the truck if it has a bracket, but on the front if it doesn't.

As for inspection, I doubt a car mechanic would inspect a Superliner. They would probably not be equipped to pull wheels and such. My father takes his to the truck garage. I'll text you a picture of the sticker. He likes your New truck. So do I.

Mike

I was told by the Indiana DOT that that I could do my own annual inspection on my truck and trailer, but must have the forms. One is to be kept on file the other kept in the truck.The sticker was an option. I have done this for over 14 years with no problems yet. I travel the midwest and east. If you are serious about safety who knows your truck better than you ?

We had used the same logic that since they were tractors the tag went on the front, but I had a state cop come up behind me on 422 while driving my father's B85. She asked over her PA where my license was. I pointed to the front of the truck. She replied that it should be on the back and drove off. It is still on the front of the truck. Since then we put the license on the back of the truck if it has a bracket, but on the front if it doesn't.

As for inspection, I doubt a car mechanic would inspect a Superliner. They would probably not be equipped to pull wheels and such. My father takes his to the truck garage. I'll text you a picture of the sticker. He likes your New truck. So do I.

Mike

I'll definetly bring it down if/when you host a meeting or open house... :twothumbsup:

• Like 1

We just got the Antique plate for the binder day before Christmas. MV-11 form says no trailer hauling with an antique plate, but if it is to shows and the like, I'd bet there'd be no problems. Hagerty insurance was quoted around $100 for the year with $10K coverage(I've got 5 cars on that policy). The plate was $75 for life!

Tim

• Like 1
post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Don't know about PA but NY issues a pair Historical plates and requires an Annual Safety Inspection for them. Over 10,000 GVW in NY an inspector needs a Special Endorsement to do it. An improperly issued sticker can be picked up if the Officer has an attitude. The sticker is revoked on the spot and a $1000.00 fine for improper inspection can be given

My N.Y.S. inspectors license as issued is Good for all vehicles 10.000 and under, Antique included. I needed a class for an Emissions Endorsement for the NYMA, a class for Motorcycle Endorsement and a class for Medium and Heavy trucks with Emissions Endorsement. The NY inspector needs a Heavy Truck Endorsement to even do Antique Trucks.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We just got the Antique plate for the binder day before Christmas. MV-11 form says no trailer hauling with an antique plate, but if it is to shows and the like, I'd bet there'd be no problems. Hagerty insurance was quoted around $100 for the year with $10K coverage(I've got 5 cars on that policy). The plate was $75 for life!

Tim

MV-11 dosnt say anything about trailers...it says and I quote "...Although buses and trucks are eligible for Antique and Classic plates, buses MAY NOT be used to transport passengers and trucks MAY NOT haul cargo."

I interperet that as not being used for commecial purposes...depends on the lawyers I guess if push came to shove!

MV-11 dosnt say anything about trailers...it says and I quote "...Although buses and trucks are eligible for Antique and Classic plates, buses MAY NOT be used to transport passengers and trucks MAY NOT haul cargo."

I interperet that as not being used for commecial purposes...depends on the lawyers I guess if push came to shove!

This is a gray area. Cargo is a commercial term. "items transported for commercial gain" Like it's been discussed in other topics for licensing and registering of antique trucks in Pennsylvania it's a gray area but drive and maintain the truck as you would a commercial vehicle. That means also having a CDL and if you're hauling a trailer to have a class A. I say this because if you were to be stopped by DOT or PUC at least you could argue in your behalf as being operated as a professional and property licensed driver. As far as the location of the of the license plate per PA CODE "§ 47.2. Location.

(a) Single plate. A single registration plate shall be located on the rear of the vehicle so as to be illuminated by the license plate light required by 75 Pa.C.S. § 4303(B) (relating to general lighting requirements), except that the registration plate of a truck-tractor shall be located on the front of the vehicle.

(B) Two plates. If two registration plates are issued for a single vehicle, one registration plate shall be located on the rear of the vehicle as prescribed in subsection (a), and the other on the front of the vehicle.

Source

The provisions of this § 47.2 adopted August 19, 1977, effective August 20, 1977, 7 Pa.B. 2361; amended April 17, 1981, effective April 18, 1981, 11 Pa.B. 1327; readopted September 8, 1989, effective September 9, 1989, 19 Pa.B. 3828. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (95331).

§ 47.3. Manner of attachment.

Every registration plate shall be securely fastened to the vehicle:

(1) So as to be clearly visible.

(2) In a horizontal position.

(3) At a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the registration plate.

(4) So as to prevent the registration plate from swinging."

When I got my inspection license for trucks and trailers this was one of the questions that the instructor pointed out for us guys getting the class 3 heavy truck inspection license.

Leslie - what is the gross weight of the tractor and trailer? My MH weighs 14K# and I licensed it for 26,000#. My OH commercial license fee is about $200 per year. 26K gets you in under the CDL limit. Not sure if PA has similar weight/license fees. If you are only planning to pull only your camper, that is what I would suggest. Then use the FMCSA exemption 390.3(f)(3) - not for hire, personal use. DISCLAIMER - of course I am flying by the seat of my pants and hoping my system works. BTW, if I license my truck at 26,001# the fee almost doubles ($385).

P.S. I am looking to buy a 28' van trailer and plan to put living quarters in the front. Then I am going to try and license it as a Motor Home. I am sure that will open up another can of worms. Why can't the states let us enjoy our hobby and not treat us like a trucking business?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

(4) So as to prevent the registration plate from swinging."

Doh, I have my front plate on a hinge(like all the cool trucks used to). But I'm an Outlaw...............LOL!

I put 33K plates on my truck originally(knew I would be over 26,001#), and it was like $375/yr? Way more then I wanted to spend. $50 got me historical. DMV was not too happy to do it, but I told them all my buddies have theirs. They reluctantly agreed, but told me "I better not be running commercial with it". Well duh.

The one time I got questioned at the scale house, I was given the a-okay and sent on my way. NO log book asked for, only registration, insurance, and I showed my CDL just make sure they knew I knew I was okay. Now I avoid scalehouses if at all possible.

Tim, as for getting a CDL, I took no classes. I got my booklet, then went in to take test for temporaries. I took all endorsements, even though didn't study for Hazmat and triples. Only missed those by ONE question each(had to get 16 of 20, I got 15). I then called test station(we have one that will rent you a truck/trailer) and took my test. Viola'. If you have any kind of experience driving, it's not that hard. I've drug a 40ft trailer around since 1997, so it was not hard.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Leslie - what is the gross weight of the tractor and trailer? My MH weighs 14K# and I licensed it for 26,000#. My OH commercial license fee is about $200 per year. 26K gets you in under the CDL limit. Not sure if PA has similar weight/license fees. If you are only planning to pull only your camper, that is what I would suggest. Then use the FMCSA exemption 390.3(f)(3) - not for hire, personal use. DISCLAIMER - of course I am flying by the seat of my pants and hoping my system works. BTW, if I license my truck at 26,001# the fee almost doubles ($385).

P.S. I am looking to buy a 28' van trailer and plan to put living quarters in the front. Then I am going to try and license it as a Motor Home. I am sure that will open up another can of worms. Why can't the states let us enjoy our hobby and not treat us like a trucking business?

Truck is 16200 and camper is 4400 with a GVW of 7200...

This is from the PennDot site...

WHO MUST HAVE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL)?

Anyone who drives a commercial motor vehicle. The definition of a commercial motor vehicle is:

a) a combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being

towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds;

B) a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds;

c) a vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver;

d) a school bus; or

e) any vehicle that is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with State and

Federal regulations.

With a commercial registration, the CDL license criteria is relevant to the manufacturer's GVW rating, not what you have it registered for. Your truck should have a GVWR sticker in the door jamb (aka second stage MSO). A trailer with a manufacturer's GVW rating of over 10,000# also requires the operator to have a (class A) CDL, regardless of what it is registered for.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Just reading up on a Pennsylvania Class A non-commercial DL....not much info on what it takes, just an application to extend the standard Class C priveleges...

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of

26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example:

Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500

pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

Will eventually get a Class A CDL...but going to persue the non-commercial Class A for now

With a commercial registration, the CDL license criteria is relevant to the manufacturer's GVW rating, not what you have it registered for. Your truck should have a GVWR sticker in the door jamb (aka second stage MSO). A trailer with a manufacturer's GVW rating of over 10,000# also requires the operator to have a (class A) CDL, regardless of what it is registered for.

David - Thanks for the information. I have a CDL with tanker and doubles endorsement (also have medical card).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Whooopeeeeee! Got my plates and registration! Went to town, did a few miles on a minor highway, then got on I-80 for a few exits! This old girl loves to be on the highway!

attachicon.gifIMG_7901.JPG

Nice! glad to see you got straightened out! put a wreath on the grill,that would make a nice Christmas picture for next year! happy motoring!.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.