Overdrive Retro

Saw this article at Overdrive Retro website.

Former owner-operator Doug Fetterly has displayed his old Macks and classic cars together when possible for as long as he’s collected them, for nearly 40 years. In Overdrive’s March 1975 issue, a trio of his beauties were featured.

His1972 R Model Mack that he drove for the Burdett Oxygen Co. was that month’s Tractor of the Month Runner-Up. The two classic cars beside the Mack in the photo are Fetterly’s 1930 Model A Ford roadster and a 1939 Ford deluxe business coupe. Fetterly showed cars in the Can-Am Division of the International Showcar Association in 1975, when the roadster won first place in its class.

The Thousand Islands, N.Y., resident has also been active in antique truck groups and travels to shows regularly while he and his wife winter in Florida. He still owns the truck and the 1930 Ford, shown below in a current photo taken on display in Florida. Fetterly sold the 1939 Ford, still an all-time popular antique, 15 years ago.

He served in Vietnam as a 19-year-old and went into trucking back home in New York when his combat duty ended. He became an owner-operator in 1986. Though retired from full-time work, the trucking aficionado hasn’t completely given up work. When he’s back home in New York, he drives his 1992 RD Mack for the town of Diana, N.Y., where he works in the summer. “It’s the oldest truck the town has,” Fetterly says. “But I like it.”

oldandnew-2.jpg

Doug-Fetterly-Mack-OD-March-1975.jpg

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Neat! Hemmings Classic Car had an article on Doug Fetterly and his Macks a few issues ago too.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Saw this article at Overdrive Retro website.

Former owner-operator Doug Fetterly has displayed his old Macks and classic cars together when possible for as long as he’s collected them, for nearly 40 years. In Overdrive’s March 1975 issue, a trio of his beauties were featured.

His1972 R Model Mack that he drove for the Burdett Oxygen Co. was that month’s Tractor of the Month Runner-Up. The two classic cars beside the Mack in the photo are Fetterly’s 1930 Model A Ford roadster and a 1939 Ford deluxe business coupe. Fetterly showed cars in the Can-Am Division of the International Showcar Association in 1975, when the roadster won first place in its class.

The Thousand Islands, N.Y., resident has also been active in antique truck groups and travels to shows regularly while he and his wife winter in Florida. He still owns the truck and the 1930 Ford, shown below in a current photo taken on display in Florida. Fetterly sold the 1939 Ford, still an all-time popular antique, 15 years ago.

He served in Vietnam as a 19-year-old and went into trucking back home in New York when his combat duty ended. He became an owner-operator in 1986. Though retired from full-time work, the trucking aficionado hasn’t completely given up work. When he’s back home in New York, he drives his 1992 RD Mack for the town of Diana, N.Y., where he works in the summer. “It’s the oldest truck the town has,” Fetterly says. “But I like it.”

oldandnew-2.jpg

Doug-Fetterly-Mack-OD-March-1975.jpg

Yup, thats my friend Doug!!!! I'll find some pictures of his trucks and post them.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Good to hear it is still in service. Thanks for posting pics! It looks in very nice condition. You need to take it to Macungie, Gerhart's, and Mack Trucktoberfest in 2013. I am sure alot of people would be interested in seeing it in person. Thanks again!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I've always liked how Yarmouth had such a distinct look using a simple white stripe.

Read the same articles myself,i sure like that blue R-model,looks a lot like my "dream truck" both owned-operated by the late Bob Eckstein from Round Lake Beach,IL...........................................Mark

Is that the one with the Cat engine that has been discussed on here?

Jim

I've always liked how Yarmouth had such a distinct look using a simple white stripe.

Is that the one with the Cat engine that has been discussed on here?

That would be one and the same,something of a rarity. both trucks pictured were (are,the blue one) CAT engines..............i prollly would have bought the blue one,but 10 grand just aint in my "hobby" truck budget!......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.