pto problems..

What make filter? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Don't think I've worked on anything that uses a filter in the return line to tank. If this is the case I'd think it is plumbed incorrectly. There should be a strainer in the tank, and a 100 mesh filter on the suction side of the hydraulic pump. From here the control valve is pressurized and then ported pressure is fed to your cylinder via the control valve. When the valve is in neutral position, discharge is routed back to tank through the control valve. Hydraulic presure is also dumped back to tank when the valve position is in the lower position. I don't think I've ever seen a filter in the return circuit myself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Don't think I've worked on anything that uses a filter in the return line to tank. If this is the case I'd think it is plumbed incorrectly. There should be a strainer in the tank, and a 100 mesh filter on the suction side of the hydraulic pump. From here the control valve is pressurized and then ported pressure is fed to your cylinder via the control valve. When the valve is in neutral position, discharge is routed back to tank through the control valve. Hydraulic presure is also dumped back to tank when the valve position is in the lower position. I don't think I've ever seen a filter in the return circuit myself.

Rob

My thoughts exactly, Running fluid back through the filter pushes the dirt back out. Going up the pump regulates the flow, going down the weight of the body regulates the flow and you should be able to slow the flow with a controll valve so it doesn't drop like a ton of bricks, but doesn't take all day either, it shouldn't run through the filter. ( My thoughts from a TA in Moundsville W.V.)

Rob

The filter on my truck is on the return line.

My thoughts exactly, Running fluid back through the filter pushes the dirt back out. Going up the pump regulates the flow, going down the weight of the body regulates the flow and you should be able to slow the flow with a controll valve so it doesn't drop like a ton of bricks, but doesn't take all day either, it shouldn't run through the filter. ( My thoughts from a TA in Moundsville W.V.)

On an end dump, the hydraulic oil flows through the suction line to the pump to the cylinder to raise the bucket, and then reverses flow back through the pump & suction line to the tank....your basic 2-line wet kit.

Side dumps use hydraulic pressure both to extend AND retract the hydraulic cylinder. The oil always flows from the tank, through the suction line, to the pump, where it is routed to a reversing valve (which can be mounted on the truck, but is usually located on the trailer), and back to the tank through a return line. Inside the cab, you'll have an on-off-on switch to control the reversing valve...in the "off" position, the hydraulic oil is cycled back to the tank. Push the switch one direction and the valve sends the oil to extend the cylinders. Push the switch the other way and the valve sends the oil to retract the cylinders.

So, a filter on the return line isn't going to have any backwash, because the oil is only returning to the tank.

What would happen if o just by passed the filter all together?

Nothing, except the oil would not be filtered...any contaminants which may be in the oil will remain in the oil to be recirculated. It is not a necessary component, and I'm probably the only truck in the fleet that has one....mostly because I wanted it on there because stuff is expensive and I want to prolong the useful life of my stuff because I plan on keeping it for a while.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I have had similar weird things like PTO clamped lines blowing off when the vent on the reservoir is clogged. Have you cleaned/checked it lately?

Seems like an odd thing to happen in a closed system where the oil is generally being constantly recirculated. I'd expect pressure issues in the case of something like an end dump, where the oil from the tank is pretty much pumped out to raise the hoist and returned to the tank when the bed lowers....but you could run a side dump with a relatively small amount of oil....just have a pair of small cylinders which are pushed out & pushed back in.

....stranger things have happened though. The world doesn't always make sense.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

You up there at Dallas pike damnit man. Go to the restaurant behind the Ta. Think it is the Ruttin Buck. Damn good food,decent service, Good Eye candy.

All of my rolloff trucks have the filter on the return to the tank. If the tank vent is plugged then pressure will build when returning more oil than the system is using. Check to see if the vent has been replaced with a plug.

I dont have any filters on mine. I did have a vent plug one time, LOL, blew the tank apart at the seams! it was hard to bleeve a vent could plug bad enough to split seams on a steel tank, but it did. Course, my bed sets a land speed record on its way down anyway. randyp

my thing was all the time i had it i didn't know. the shop said they changed one never thought anything till i went to change it 4 years latter. once in a great while i pull another trailer that might need a pto but not ofte.