MH613 rescued for restoration

Well, I just couldn't resist this one... as a cabover junkie it has to be the ultimate collectible to add to the herd.

1993, V8-500hp, Mack 18spd, Mack diffs, Mack air-ride, double frame, double steering boxes, 20,000lb front and 44,000lb tandem.... 770,000kms 480,000miles... spent all of its life on Vancouver Island and to Vancouver area with Kingsley, Buursma and Ryler Bulk running super B's to max GVW of 63,500kg / 140,000lb.

Mechanicals were well looked after, engine has recent inframe, heads, injectors, turbo and cam... truck was sold and serviced by Nanaimo Mack... has not done any serious hauling since 2005 and was stored outside for the last two years. Not that much interest out there for it and it was possibly destined for parting out, but the owner liked my plan for restoration so was very helpful with the sale.

It will be stored for about a year so I can finish off my current project... needs cleaning up but I think a swan is under all that grunge!!!!

No gold bulldog one of you just said!!!! yes, back in the day the driver of a sister vehicle convinced the company owner that they fitted the wrong colour dog on his Cat powered MH613 and they were traded..!!!! so, one of my missions is to find a gold dog or get the siver one re-plated... advice please!!

I need the contact info at the Mack museum for vehicle history, anyone got an e-mail contact (and suggested donation.... Canadian dollars are worth more!!)

Input always welcome as I will be searching for maintenance and owners manuals...

BC Mack

post-10384-0-97999100-1335832485_thumb.j

Edited by BC Mack

Thats a cool truck. Im glad you saved it and plan on restoring it. What color are you goona paint it?

Hi Vinny

glad you enjoyed the photos

at the moment I have no plans for paint, it was originally brown... while I am looking for historical accuracy I may opt for a "factory" looking 80's style of stripes or designs... NO bling, NO giant bumper, NO massive sun visor... you get the idea, it will be very sympathetic and Mack looking without going overboard.. my first thoughts were black chassis, grey engine, red cab.. see how it goes, I am looking at old Mack brochures for ideas... to get a 'collector plate' I have to be authentic and prove it is period correct.

BC Mack

Nice find......do you have any pictures of the interior?

mike

Hi Mike

well, I sorta forgot to do that... while I did take a few detail shots within the cab to remind me of the "issues" all I have is one sent me by the seller.... do you have a particular need? I know there are 4 levels of trim but from all I have read I cannot determine what each "level" actually looks like... other than 'grey' I can't tell you what I have.

BC Mack

Edited by BC Mack

Hi Vinny

glad you enjoyed the photos

at the moment I have no plans for paint, it was originally brown... while I am looking for historical accuracy I may opt for a "factory" looking 80's style of stripes or designs... NO bling, NO giant bumper, NO massive sun visor... you get the idea, it will be very sympathetic and Mack looking without going overboard.. my first thoughts were black chassis, grey engine, red cab.. see how it goes, I am looking at old Mack brochures for ideas... to get a 'collector plate' I have to be authentic and prove it is period correct.

BC Mack

Thats cool. I like trying to make stuff look like it once did like that.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

NICE FIND ! especially being all Mack , I like it. Never heard of double steering boxes? learn something new everyday .

I had never heard of it either... seller thinks the option is one specified for a mixer chassis.. from the quick look I gave it the right just slaves hydraulically off the left.. I think!!!!

BC Mack

Nice truck there,BC!! Yeah the 20,000 fronts whether in a DM, RD,etc. required the two boxes and was included in that axle option.If I remember right,the drivers side box was (like always)the actual steering box.The right box is set up to be a booster.IH used the same type of arrangement also. :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Nice find and nice truck. Mack did not put gold bulldogs on the 90s trucks. My MH is 100% Mack and has a chrome bulldog. With that said, I am considering installing a gold bulldog. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

A gold bulldog has a part number just like any other mack part and can be bought at a dealership parts dept or I think the mack shop store sells gold and chrome bulldog replacements, even 2/3 scale ones if u want one for a pickup truck or lawn mower. google mack shop

Nice MH... Have I not seen a picture of this truck or a twin of it on Hankstruckpictures.com? Good luck with the restore and good for you on keeping her looking stock.

http://www.google.co...-AN8CyrmjaVztBw

Looks the same.... link of picture above...

But, I noticed that in the picture it only has one block heater hole in the cab step area. Usually any Mack with an E9 have the double plug recepticals.

Especially if the truck is sold in Canada.

So this one could be the sister truck with the 3406B Cat.

Edited by bbigrig

Nice MH... Have I not seen a picture of this truck or a twin of it on Hankstruckpictures.com? Good luck with the restore and good for you on keeping her looking stock.

http://www.google.co...-AN8CyrmjaVztBw

Looks the same.... link of picture above...

But, I noticed that in the picture it only has one block heater hole in the cab step area. Usually any Mack with an E9 have the double plug recepticals.

Especially if the truck is sold in Canada.

So this one could be the sister truck with the 3406B Cat.

YES... that is the Cat powered sister when they operated for Buursma... and if you blow up the picture you can see it wears the "stolen" gold bulldog off my truck!!!!!!

there are two more photos of the sister on Hanks... Bill Robertson collection.

Yes, mine has the two recepticles in the left step...

BC Mack

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum

Don Shumaker, Curator

2402 Lehigh Parkway South

Allentown, PA 18103

Sorry forgot to put in the address in previous post.

Yeah, yeah... Canadian dollar worth more. But we don't have loonies or toonies yet!

I have sent $25 to $50 depending on what I am asking for.

thank you for the info.... I promise not to send him toonies, you US guys get confused with our coloured monopoly money banknotes, now the $50's are plastic and clear... maybe I'll just send Canadian Tires dollars instead.. LOL

BC Mack

An update for you... truck was "delivered" by a 1976 Kenworth wrecker from Vancouver Island.. it spent more time on a boat than actually driving.. just gave it a good cleaning and wrapped it up, it has to wait until I finish my current project... if I have two running at the same time neither will get finished before I enter my wooden box!!! the seller sent me a couple of prints of the MH in action, one attached for you. BC Mack

Edited by BC Mack

Looks good and I don't blame you for postponing until something else is done.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

:SMOKIE-RT:

Just curious-where do you install the bulldog on a cabover?

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

:SMOKIE-RT:

Just curious-where do you install the bulldog on a cabover?

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

:SMOKIE-RT: The Bulldog on a cabover mounts just above the door for the rad cap, just under the center of the windshields. Same dog as the coventionals, different mounting base. That sure is a sweet find, looking at the pics of it brings back memories of the 92 that I had.

BC MACK: Are you going to do any island shows with it this year.one in vic,two in Port Alberni,one in Duncan.Bob D

Sorry Bob...

it will stay wrapped up in Squamish until I finish another project so I won't get to work on it for over a year... then I have to get it up to snuff for an ICBC collector plate... then I will let the V8 loose.!!.

the ferry will add a considerable cost to visiting the Island, but not saying NO, just maybe, one year!!!

I'm quite surprised it was not snapped up by an Island Mack fan, it had sat in Qualicum / Parksville since 2005

BC Mack