Your first car

Timothy Maikshilo

last time me and my dad worked on the car together... Took the whole front of the car off.

DSC00612-1.jpg

On its way up to VT for storage :(

IMG_20100924_160645.jpg

Found a lot more

Taking the engine out

Takingouttheengine026.jpg

My "dad" in the black shirt

Takingouttheengine020.jpg

Motors out-

Takingouttheengine028.jpg

As it was complete-

1978TransAmY88GoldEditionSE001-1.jpg

Tom :mellow:

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

My first car was a 1958 Chevy Delray that my Uncle and i put a 348 with 3 deuces in it and it had a 3 speed with Hurst conversion this was in 1966.Progressive linkage on carbs sounded great when kicking in one at a time but could not pull the hat off your head compared to 327'S. Now its hard and expensive to find any double hump 348 or 409'S.Joe D.

My first car was a 1960 Chevy Impala convertible, 348 with 3 dueces. Three speed with a Hurst "mystery" shifter. Black with a white stripe and white top. Red interior with a padded dash and two speakers! Red sculptured carpeting and red painted light bulbs under the dash! Rusted out rocker panels and floors and a trail of blue smoke behind it. I bought it in 1972 and tried to get it for $15.00, but the dealership would not budge off $20 because they were going to get 15 for it for scrap.

last time me and my dad worked on the car together... Took the whole front of the car off.

DSC00612-1.jpg

On its way up to VT for storage :(

IMG_20100924_160645.jpg

Found a lot more

Taking the engine out

Takingouttheengine026.jpg

My "dad" in the black shirt

Takingouttheengine020.jpg

Motors out-

Takingouttheengine028.jpg

As it was complete-

1978TransAmY88GoldEditionSE001-1.jpg

Tom :mellow:

Repaired a lot of the Trans Am, and Camaro Z-28 cars in the late 70's through the 1980's. Every kid had to have one. 1978 was the last year for the Pontiac engine before being replaced by an Olds engine. The 78 cars ran very well for what they were. Burnt up a few pairs of those "Wingfoot" tires you have too.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

post-139-0-68266300-1332722456_thumb.jpgpost-139-0-15916100-1332722471_thumb.jpgpost-139-0-40192200-1332722484_thumb.jpgpost-139-0-30438500-1332722518_thumb.jpgpost-139-0-04350400-1332722557_thumb.jpgOk guys, I have tried to ignore this for a while but I got caught up in it. Here is my first car followed by others with a whole bunch in between. 1st. a 57 Pontiac followed by a 67 Plymouth. A '37 Ford with a small block. A 67 AC Cobra (A kit car built by me with a 428 Cobra Jet) Last a '69 Mack

That's a sharp looking Mack. You could get it from 99 to 100 points if you switched the mirrors around so the dogs faced in.

Tbone, a friend of mine did a job like that back in the late 80's. His familys car was a '77 T/A. He got it in high school and drove it through college. He pulled the motor to rebuild for shop in college, pulled the front sub frame and restored it nut/bolt and put it back together. White with red interior, automatic.

moodyta.jpg

I don't have any pics of my first car(75 Pinto wagon), but here's my first purchase in 1983(damn I was young back then)

1972 International 1210 series, 345ci/4 spd. Ex-township road dept truck:

international1.jpg

Pretty much all I did was work on it, it was whipped to death, bought it for $150 at auction. I put three clutches in three months. No, didn't abuse it, it was just the levers would break off and leave me stuck. RAM clutches was still in Canton, Ohio and they were the ones that rebuilt it each time. After the third time, I got a cheapo reman unit from local parts store and never had a problem after that.

July 1984 I got this gem:

1970 F100, 302/3spd:

70trk.jpg

This picture was from about 1988? It was daily transportation for 12 yrs. Put a few hundred thousand miles on that chassis. Lots of motors/transmissions, rear ends, a good bed, cab and many, many other things.

Bought this in 1988:

69trk.jpg

Still have it today.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My Dad had a friend named Joe Weeks who owned a gas station on Wellwood Ave. We went to see him race at Islip a few times, I think he won some races in the early 70's.

Was there a track in Manorville or thereabouts?

Center Moriches exit 69 on LIE, the next village over from Manorville. I went to school with Chris Weeks whose uncle raced there probably the same person?

My uncle ran 3/4 midgets at Islip and what was called a jalopy# X33. A 36 Ford with a GMC 261 six and a 2 high box.

My 55 when my pop raced it, was maroon and called the "Shell Shocker". He ran at Islip every weekend in the gasser class.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for the comments. The Mack came from Highpoint Garage. Ok, Ok.....I'll Change the mirrors. ( I honestly thought the dogs were suppose to face out ....to bite K-Woppers and the like)

I thought that truck looked familiar,my late uncle owned/operated Helmrich Towing& recovery in Pennsauken,NJ used to hang around the shop and got to know most of the outfits that did heavy towing in the NJ,PA,NY areas.............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I thought that truck looked familiar,my late uncle owned/operated Helmrich Towing& recovery in Pennsauken,NJ used to hang around the shop and got to know most of the outfits that did heavy towing in the NJ,PA,NY areas.............................Mark

Mark,

Who was the towing guy on RT130 in Bordentown NJ with the big yellow Army Sterling tow trucks? Was it Dunns Towing? I used to del. cement down to US Pipe and Foundry in Burlingtion an would pass them on 202-206 & 130

Ernie DS

Center Moriches exit 69 on LIE, the next village over from Manorville. I went to school with Chris Weeks whose uncle raced there probably the same person?

My uncle ran 3/4 midgets at Islip and what was called a jalopy# X33. A 36 Ford with a GMC 261 six and a 2 high box.

My 55 when my pop raced it, was maroon and called the "Shell Shocker". He ran at Islip every weekend in the gasser class.

That must be the place I was thinking of.

I'm not sure of what family Joe had aside from his Wife and I believe was 4 kids. I'd say it's quite possible he was an Uncle to your friend Chris. He lived in Dix Hills and after the station he owned a used car lot somwhere, probably western Suffolk. The cars he raced were basically gutted sedans with a coat of paint slapped on (literally). I imagine the engines were a bit souped up, but there was no brand loyalty or anything like that. All of the cars seemed to be the type you could get for around $100 in the early 70's i.e. early 60's Falcon's, Nova's, Dart's, etc.

Jim

Mark,

Who was the towing guy on RT130 in Bordentown NJ with the big yellow Army Sterling tow trucks? Was it Dunns Towing? I used to del. cement down to US Pipe and Foundry in Burlingtion an would pass them on 202-206 & 130

Ernie DS

Ernie,you're thinking of Lynch's Towing,they are no longer in the towing business,the are truck exporters now. They had a HUGE yellow Sterling wrecker,and quite a few Macks at one time. There is also Haines Garage right up the road,also on 206/130 they have the brother to the same Sterling,only theirs is orange............................Mark

post-5836-0-51468000-1332886315_thumb.jp

The first truck I drove was my Grandfathers 1950 GMC 350. My older bother drove it out to one of the fields and let me drive. Needed two acres to turn it around and fell in love the the old girl. This was 1977 (12yo) and I ended up sanding the whole truck down by hand and painted it with a brush. Even painted the meatball silver and the GMC cast, red. Changed two rear tires and fixed the exhaust then Dad let me drive it to work at the neighbors farm. I would work for fuel most of the time at .75 cents an hour. Dad still has the truck and I wish I had a photo of it to share.

Mark, I hope he still has those wreckers?..............It would be nice

Ernie

Ernie,i know Lynchs sold theirs,but its still in Jersey right off of 295,and as far as i know Haines still uses theirs on the occaisional heavy job on the Turnpike...............................Mark

The first truck I drove was my Grandfathers 1950 GMC 350. My older bother drove it out to one of the fields and let me drive. Needed two acres to turn it around and fell in love the the old girl. This was 1977 (12yo) and I ended up sanding the whole truck down by hand and painted it with a brush. Even painted the meatball silver and the GMC cast, red. Changed two rear tires and fixed the exhaust then Dad let me drive it to work at the neighbors farm. I would work for fuel most of the time at .75 cents an hour. Dad still has the truck and I wish I had a photo of it to share.

I would love to have that truck. It's cool your dad still has it, that's for sure.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Pretty serious trucks there Mark.

Yeah,those trucks are HUGE! my cousin had some pretty serious equipment at one time too,but its the old story,he died,left the business to the "kids" they ran it into the ground! they went from one of the largest towing/recovery companies on the east coast (45 trucks) down to at last count 3! and one of those is a one ton rollback,one is a european "platform lift" type truck,the last is a garden variety 2 1/2 ton undereach. My cousin was a hard guy to work for,his way or the highway! but he always got the job done,and had the very best equipment money could buy! believe it or not,ALL his trucks were kept inside,including the ex-navy heavy duty Oshkosh pictured,no matter what he bought,he took them apart,went through EVERYTHING,and all his trucks were painted Mack red. I sure miss the guy,and he'd roll over in his grave if he saw what his business has turned into!...................Mark

post-5836-0-85220700-1333065587.jpg

post-5836-0-88429300-1333065597.jpg