8N Ford Tractor with V8 flathead

Olivetroad

I was heading through Indiana today and this pulled up to the pumps on a gooseneck hotshot trailer.

Nice clean restoration - nice big V8!

I had a neighbor years ago that had a 8N with a V8 kit in it. The kit came with longer steering rods and front axle braces and a plate to extend the hood. We tore the transmission out of it - my dad said that if Henry Ford thought they needed a V8, he would have sold them new that way.

post-6658-0-80776200-1328246374_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-28446500-1328246384_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-94326800-1328246393_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-00694300-1328246405_thumb.jp

Good chance that is a Funk (does not mean Ford + Junk) conversion - could get them for inline sixes and the V8 flatties, and I've even seen one or three customs with a Lincoln V12.

From "my" local show:

Terry

Julian, PA

I used to work for New Holland and I couldn't believe how many of those things are still out there. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if I never work on another one.

My uncle (see post about Antique truck / Antique driver) has a 40's 8N that he and my father bought new. They pulled a A/C all crop combine with it forever and had to overhaul it about once a year back in its working days. It is semi-retired now but he still uses it to pull a finish mower in the summer for his lawn. I hate that thing! No live power, narrow little steer tires, no power steering, no normal two way hydraulics, and what dumbass engineer put the distributor in front of the engine?

• Like 1

A few of my pics from the 2010 (fall) NAMA show - Fordson / Fords were the featured brands.

Early '39 9N:

NAMAfall2010012.jpg

The "Boomers":

NAMAfall2010010.jpg

A mixed row:

NAMAfall2010011.jpg

Welcome to the future:

NAMAfall2010009.jpg

Didn't mean to steal the thread, but I like tractors.......

especially red ones with V8's

NAMAfall2010017.jpg

• Like 1

Terry

Julian, PA

I think the biggest problem beyond them running on 4 cylinders at idle & under a light load / all 8 holes at full power deal was guys cranking too much fuel to them. I think they had some oiling issues too.

I never owned one or was around one working, but I know the DV-550 looks & sounds good - especially with an M&W turbo hanging off of each bank. :twothumbsup:

Terry

Julian, PA

I have that same engine in a 70ish International 2050 Fleetstar truck with a log loader. It is a typical ex-tree service truck - all banged up and bruised. But that thing starts in any weather and will sit there and run all day long. I was going to cut it up, but I have been using it just on the yard to load and unload with it's grapple and now I like it.

A few of my pics from the 2010 (fall) NAMA show - Fordson / Fords were the featured brands.

Early '39 9N:

NAMAfall2010012.jpg

The "Boomers":

NAMAfall2010010.jpg

A mixed row:

NAMAfall2010011.jpg

Welcome to the future:

NAMAfall2010009.jpg

Didn't mean to steal the thread, but I like tractors.......

especially red ones with V8's

NAMAfall2010017.jpg

My neighbor has a V8 Massey Ferguson. It's red. He must wash and wax it regularly, never seen anyone keep a tractor so clean.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I hate that thing! No live power, narrow little steer tires, no power steering, no normal two way hydraulics, and what dumbass engineer put the distributor in front of the engine?

You have to remember that these tractors were the replacement for the horse on many small farms. No power steering, etc. beat the hell out of feeding and cleaning up after a horse!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

And at least half a jillion folks who buy 'em up, refurb 'em, and keep making money off of 'em.

My Uncle won a new 740 Ford (I think that is the right number) in the 1950's by winning a contest - I will try and get some of the photos that they have of when the Ford dealer delivered it - make a good new post. He still has the tractor and it has very few hours on it. I used to drive it for him pushing a Jayhawk hay stacker.

We just brought my father-in-law's old 8N Ford to TN last fall. It is now sitting in my barn needing another motor rebuild. It was still being used to bush hog the open fields around the home place. We rebuilt it about 40 years ago.

We also brought my old Mack to TN during the same time period.

David

• 2 weeks later...

:SMOKIE-RT:

If any of you run across a little tractor like the 8N,without the V-8,that can be had for cheap (DIRT cheap is even better),I could put one to work around here. I can do a lot with my BroncWorth,but it just can't get the hang of loading gravel into dump trucks. :whistling:

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>