Mack B61 Wrecker

Hello. I have been reading and researching this forum for a few weeks now trying to learn about these trucks. Thanks for having a great site. This was my granddad's favorite truck for years, Big Bertha. He used it in Memphis until it became common to have hydraulic wreckers. The tandem axel is not original. It was added when the City of Memphis said heavy duty wreckers must have tandem axles, regardless of the weight of the vehicle. He also travelled the country in it, going as far as Florida and South Dakota to my knowledge. The data plate is missing and I can't find the chassis number due to the mountains of old grease and dirt that I haven't had time to scrape it off. The truck has been moved since these pictures were taken. I'll try to post more if anything progresses. Any info anyone has to offer as to the year or anything else would be wonderful.

post-10017-0-03704400-1324940253_thumb.j

post-10017-0-38390800-1324940295_thumb.j

Indeed,a B-model integral sleeper is a relatively scarce vehicle,i would also suggest covering up the broken windows against the elements. As far as a specific year,thats a tough call without further info,as B-models remained basically un-changed during their entire run. The Mack museum is your best bet for info on the truck once the VIN # is found,as to when/where it was built,year,specs.etc.It sure looks like a truck with some "history" and a story to tell! surely worthwhile preserving especially if there is family history involved in my opinion.......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

That is a very cool truck. It is also a little rare because of the intergal sleeper. Vinny

Indeed,a B-model integral sleeper is a relatively scarce vehicle,i would also suggest covering up the broken windows against the elements. As far as a specific year,thats a tough call without further info,as B-models remained basically un-changed during their entire run. The Mack museum is your best bet for info on the truck once the VIN # is found,as to when/where it was built,year,specs.etc.It sure looks like a truck with some "history" and a story to tell! surely worthwhile preserving especially if there is family history involved in my opinion.......................Mark

Bummble Bee, Vinny & Mark Took the words right out my mouth .

Ya say this Bulldog is in the Memphis Area? Where in Mid South are @? I'm in Millington Myself .

Def a NICE RARE BULLDOG TO RESTORE !!

:WELCOME: To BMT ! Glad your here w/ us. we all have Mack fever round here . pull up a chair get your favorite drink & post away . there is plenty of folks who have Mack knowledge here so if ya got question about anything about a bulldog someone round here will be glad to help ya . if ya need parts for your B model Barry can help ya out there . Watts Mack has a pretty good supply of B Model parts .

later

:mack1: aka bulldog man on BMT . (YA I Was named after a B422T. LOL . )

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Good to hear some history and know it is still in family hands. That is rare also.

mike

AMEN Wish i could still say the same about old dog . :( i still want to hurt my so called "friend" over that ...if it wasnt for his kids wanting me to be around i wouldnt even talk to him. Thank the Lord OLD Dog wound up in Az & being restored . makes me feel a little better . want a R Model or DM To work daily & restore @ the same time , now in memory of my grand dad , Great Uncle & Dad .

the guys that sold myself & my family our truck tires & my granddad's fomer foreman of 35 yrs have been awesome to me in the last 7 yrs since my granddad & uncle passed but im ready to drive fer myself again. ready to get back in a dump bucket of my own again .

later

:mack1:

Thanks guys. It worked for Berclair Wrecker which is off of Pleasant View. Those windows have been broken for years so I wasn't worried about another week. I'm going to sand and prime the bad parts as soon as I can just to stop the rust. She's rough but hopefully will be restored.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It worked for Berclair Wrecker which is off of Pleasant View. Those windows have been broken for years so I wasn't worried about another week. I'm going to sand and prime the bad parts as soon as I can just to stop the rust. She's rough but hopefully will be restored.

That's where i seen that ole :bulldog3: . i kept trying to remember where i seen it @ . When i had my own trucks in the family business up till 7 yrs ago & before i went to driving for the recap shop a buddy owns & for another friend who also sold myself & family truck tires . i used to pull Masonary sand out of Metro materials & haul brush into J&B & Mulch out of J&B Off of Pleasnt view.

Please keep us informed on the restoration .

Later

Great rig and it's always nice to find a piece of family history. I know I'd love to find the L model my Dad drove.

Is this your first restoration? If so, don't be afraid to ask for advice here. Take your time, set a realistic budget and than plan on spending twice as much.

Seriously, don't start with the body work. Get the mechanicals working first and than get to the body. Once you start removing paint you have no choice but to keep going unless you want to cause further damage. If you sand and than put a temporary prime on it, you will only have to remove the primer again. As the docs say; do no harm first.

Good luck and unless you are wealthy enough to pay for someone else to do the work you have all of your spare time filled for your next few years .

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Have to strongly advize against sanding and priming the "rough spots" contrary to popular belief,bare primer is a magnet for rust/corrosion will do more harm than good in the long run,especially if it will remain out in the elements. Best to tackle bodywork in segments as work progresses,finish one job at a time,before moving on to the next,or you will surely become overwhelmed,again,just my opinion......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

by looking at the fuel tank brackets, where the signal lights are on the fenders and the dash guages id guess that truck is early to mif 50's. Mack changed the fuel tank brackets in late 58 early 59 to the style with the bolts out twards the end more and the shorter straps. also moved the air horn to the side and off the pedestal and any b model before 1960 would have a fuel guage that read 1/4 1/2 and 3/4. after around 1960 they just read e 1/2 and f. you can also tell by the cab mount crossmenber. the older ones 53 to around late 58 had the two holes on top of each other for air lines to pass thru. after that they changed them to the middle hole with spots to mount air line clamps to. one other thing is the bumper brackets were changed around same time. earlier ones had a short piece of pipe for a spacer for the big tow hook boltm later ones Mack had a piece of angle iron welded in for a spacer. one other thing was any b model before late 1959 would have glass fuses in the glovebox and later ones had circuit breakers. of course a lot of this could be changed over the years, just a few things ive notived. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

by looking at the fuel tank brackets, where the signal lights are on the fenders and the dash guages id guess that truck is early to mif 50's. Mack changed the fuel tank brackets in late 58 early 59 to the style with the bolts out twards the end more and the shorter straps. also moved the air horn to the side and off the pedestal and any b model before 1960 would have a fuel guage that read 1/4 1/2 and 3/4. after around 1960 they just read e 1/2 and f. you can also tell by the cab mount crossmenber. the older ones 53 to around late 58 had the two holes on top of each other for air lines to pass thru. after that they changed them to the middle hole with spots to mount air line clamps to. one other thing is the bumper brackets were changed around same time. earlier ones had a short piece of pipe for a spacer for the big tow hook boltm later ones Mack had a piece of angle iron welded in for a spacer. one other thing was any b model before late 1959 would have glass fuses in the glovebox and later ones had circuit breakers. of course a lot of this could be changed over the years, just a few things ive notived. Matt

They also moved the wiper motor from underneath the dash to outside the firewall and went to a different mounting system for the radiator shell in that same time period,59-60.

The external air cleaner also changed to open top in late 1959 or 1960. This truck has the older style.

Rob

This style aircleaner was used right up till the end although the oilpan did change designs,the air cleaner with the top intake cap was used with the turbocharged engines starting in '54 or '55 and was an option for for the non-turbo engines later.

This style aircleaner was used right up till the end although the oilpan did change designs,the air cleaner with the top intake cap was used with the turbocharged engines starting in '54 or '55 and was an option for for the non-turbo engines later.

Mine's a '65 and it has the closed air cleaner. Has a square plug on top, Old Bill told me that was for using ether shots that you used to be able to get.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Mine's a '65 and it has the closed air cleaner. Has a square plug on top, Old Bill told me that was for using ether shots that you used to be able to get.

I always wondered why that Square plug was in the air cleaner of old dog when i had him .

guess its true what they say: ya never quit learning . :twothumbsup:

That is interesting as I've never seen the closed type past a 1959 truck that I had. Both of my B models in the early 60's are the open type. Neither was built as turbocharged, but now are however.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.