Mack B61 Wrecker

I always wondered why that Square plug was in the air cleaner of old dog when i had him .

guess its true what they say: ya never quit learning . :twothumbsup:

:mack1:

I still have a "tin" of those ether capsules someplace. You used to unscrew the plug, drop the capsule into the void, install the cap, snug it down and crank the engine. I remember doing it as a kid cause you had a better shot at starting the engine if the engine were cranked immediately. On really cold mornings, we used to set a diesel burning heater under the oil pan for about five minutes and they would crank right up. I still have one of those heaters brand new. I think it is a "Evans" brand.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

seen the ''turbo'' air cleaner on mostly trucks with 711's in them. either that or the 711 trucks had a air cleaner similar to the gas job air cleaner but was a little bigger in diameter. usually the turbo trucks had stops in the passenger door hinge so the mirror bracket wouldnt hit the air cleaner top. also the older b's seemed to have the smaller air cleaner bonnet on top while 59 and up or so had the ''top hat'' as i call it cover like my B613 has. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

we used to set a diesel burning heater under the oil pan for about five minutes and they would crank right up. I still have one of those heaters brand new. I think it is a "Evans" brand.

There was a concrete plant across the street from one of the staions I worked at where they would put some diesel fuel under the truck and light it off on very cold mornings to get the engine oil warmed up. It always caused quite a stir with the shift rookie when he came running in to report that the mixers across the street were on fire and no one moved.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

There was a concrete plant across the street from one of the staions I worked at where they would put some diesel fuel under the truck and light it off on very cold mornings to get the engine oil warmed up. It always caused quite a stir with the shift rookie when he came running in to report that the mixers across the street were on fire and no one moved.

I remember those days quite well out in a cold parking lot. A pesticide sprayer worked very well to regulate the flame by the amount of fuel so you didn't burn the truck down.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Dont remember just how cold it was,but i was in Duluth,MN once early on in my career,and saw a GMC 6-wheeler (detroit powered) with the normal oil leaks,but up under it,the leaking oil was frozen solid,kinda like an upside down icecicle......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

heard many stories of upstate ny winter in Long lake Ny hauling logs with B62SX Macks. my great grandfather would leave them running all night long cause they would never start in the morning and they would have to start a fire under the rear end housings to get the trucks to move in the moring cause all that was warm was the engine and transmission gear oil, Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I still have a "tin" of those ether capsules someplace. You used to unscrew the plug, drop the capsule into the void, install the cap, snug it down and crank the engine. I remember doing it as a kid cause you had a better shot at starting the engine if the engine were cranked immediately. On really cold mornings, we used to set a diesel burning heater under the oil pan for about five minutes and they would crank right up. I still have one of those heaters brand new. I think it is a "Evans" brand.

Rob

Cool deal ...Very Interesting !!! Thanks Rob :twothumbsup:

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: