1973 RL797LST with tank

KidNV

Rob I leave california Laguna Seca raceway Sunday afternoon May 13th. I normaly stop in western NV for the night then run hard the next day stopping in Eastern WY or Western NB. then home the next night. Thats what I normaly do.... I leave to go out to CA on the afternoon of sunday May 6th or early Monday may7th.... Thats the plan as of right now...

Trent

Rob I leave california Laguna Seca raceway Sunday afternoon May 13th. I normaly stop in western NV for the night then run hard the next day stopping in Eastern WY or Western NB. then home the next night. Thats what I normaly do.... I leave to go out to CA on the afternoon of sunday May 6th or early Monday may7th.... Thats the plan as of right now...

Trent

Keep me in the loop. I could rent a car out there and tool around with the truck for a few days getting it ready, then we could meet up for the return jaunt. The truck is just south of Reno in Minden. I'd feel a lot better running with a partner citing no history of the truck although it would prolly be alright.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Will Do. I have to get the truck back by Wed night because it has inventory on it that we sell when were not at a race track. I can gladly carry out tools and drop them off in minden NV so long as I know I can get over the mountain south of I 80 with no troubles. Even if you got a head start on me Sunday I would not be far behind you come Sunday Night. I would have to ask about passengers just because of the insurace issue. if its not a problem you can gladly ride along out there. But just remember it will be another 4-5 days untill I start my way back home after I dropped you off..what will that truck run out at on the big road. do i need to bring a rope??.LOL

Trent

Will Do. I have to get the truck back by Wed night because it has inventory on it that we sell when were not at a race track. I can gladly carry out tools and drop them off in minden NV so long as I know I can get over the mountain south of I 80 with no troubles. Even if you got a head start on me Sunday I would not be far behind you come Sunday Night. I would have to ask about passengers just because of the insurace issue. if its not a problem you can gladly ride along out there. But just remember it will be another 4-5 days untill I start my way back home after I dropped you off..what will that truck run out at on the big road. do i need to bring a rope??.LOL

Trent

My other RL797L with the same driveline will run 75+ mph on 20" tires. This one is on 24.5" so should go a bit faster unless the governor is turned down. My engines turn about 2800 rpm. We could stay in touch via cell phone and I could run slower but ahead of you knowing help would not be far away. If a problem to ride along I'll fly out but would prolly send tools with you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

yea was thinking I bring out tools and such for you. then you could fly in on Sat. leave Sunday morning and I would be not to far behind you. Other wise you would be sitting waiting for me all week. But if you want to chance it on your way back I can likely get you the free ride out there..your call...I run about 75-80 MPH thru NV UT and WY. If you left before me and later had a problem I would be less than a few hrs behind you come monday morning.... There are scales pretty much at the entrance and exit of every state along the route.the ones you come across are mostly port of entry and they will pull you in if you dont have a pre pass. many are open all the time...

Just thinking here about the East Bound locations of the scales on I80

NV has none that are permanent that I can recall

UT has one in about 5 miles each side of the state lines.

WY has one just as you enter the state and somewhere in the middle.

NB has a scale about 10 miles in, north platt and between lincoln and Omaha

IA has one just west of desmoines and another just before walcott

IL as soon as you cross into IL its the first exit.

Thats all I can think of but I only make that trip a few times each year.check the web for exact locations...

ok Rob, I think you've offically waited to long to get it,,,, its raining/snowing at the bottom of our hills.. gonna hafta wait awhile now..

We are receiveing a couple inches tomorrow, and it's getting cold here now. Mid 50's just last week too. Prolly will be glad I waited.

Brush fires affect you guys any?

Rob

I just took a closer look at the pictures of this truck. It seems to have an aluminum frame. I would have jumped all over this truck if it was closer. A V-8 with a 12 speed, Nice find. This gives me an idea for a superliner tractor I have that I was putting a tank on for delivering pool water. I can make it that the tank is removable since the water hauling business only lasts 4 or 5 months a year.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I just took a closer look at the pictures of this truck. It seems to have an aluminum frame. I would have jumped all over this truck if it was closer. A V-8 with a 12 speed, Nice find. This gives me an idea for a superliner tractor I have that I was putting a tank on for delivering pool water. I can make it that the tank is removable since the water hauling business only lasts 4 or 5 months a year.

Yes it is an "RL" series truck with an aluminum frame. The tank is removable and the truck is convertible to a "log hauler" chassis as built. It has a TRDL 107 trans, (10 speed direct).

It is a little over 1800 miles from me, but I'll drive it back and put her to work. I'm kinda fond of the 700 series trucks w/V8 engines.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Ok that make sense on why I did not see the second stick for lo-lo

Not all 12 speeds had the second stick.Some just had a toggle valve on the dash(especially later models).Seen them both ways.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Not all 12 speeds had the second stick.Some just had a toggle valve on the dash(especially later models).Seen them both ways.

The reason they went to the air switch instead of the 2nd stick,was the MH.There was no provisions for a 2 stick set up the way the shift lever/tower was designed.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The title in my name finally showed up today. I've had temp tags for the truck for several months but wanting the license plates to arrive before finalizing plans to get the truck home. The usually follow fairly close to the title being issued in this republic.

Rob

so,,,, you actually own that piece of crap now??????????? ROFL

...no, too cold yet... knew you'd ask..

Shit it's been in the 70's all month here........ I wish.

Hey I do need to know the height of the pintle hitch on the rear. Might rig up a towbar as still working on options.

Rob

I have a car dolly you can borrow

Thanks David. I have to tow the Jeep with all four rolling, or remove the rear driveshaft due to the full time 4X4 driveline. You cannot use a wheel lift or dolly with these things easily. Been thinking of doing a hinging towbar as the ole Jeep will be pulled behind for a "run around" vehicle at distant shows.

I'm not settled on anything yet but the Jeep going out there could haul all the minor necessary spares for the trip back, but dollying my daughter's car back might be an option too. It gets about twice the mileage the Jeep does.

Thanks,

Rob

Ahhh, the plot thickens............................

When my buddy and I went to Way Cross, GA to pick up his toter home, we took his wifes Expedition with car trailer in tow. Put the Expy on the trailer for the ride home. Renting a car dolly would be a easy way to get car home. Even if it was a Uhaul car trailer for you Jeep?

We left at dinner time, drove straight through the night(oh, make that I drove through the night...................there's a sucker born every minute), hooked up in the morning and made it home the following evening.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I ran into the same problem with the little Ford Escape I bought for my wife - I had planned to drag it home behind trucks, but I can't because it is all wheel drive.

Last month I welded an adjustable hitch on the tounge so I can switch between a two inch ball or a pintle hitch. Too many trucks I buy do not have a receiver and only a pintle hitch and sometimes they have a ball just welded on. I also wanted it adjustable so I could use it behind oilfield trucks and things with a real high pintle hitch.

I used to use a tow bar on a 1/2 ton pickup, but started using a dolly for the better fuel mileage from a car - damn cars don't have enough bumper to attach a towbar to.

My new plan is to buy another one and cut it into pieces and make it so it all pins back together. That way one man can haul it in the truck of a car, put it together, and tow the car home.

We'll see............

We bought 2 Mack dumptrucks just north of Denver at an auction in '88, one was a '72 R700, the other was a '73 R600. We had driven the motorhome up there, and visited some family and friends on the trip also. We INTENDED to buy one dumptruck, but due to a lack of communications, dad and I both ended up buying one... Long story... Anyway, I was just 16 at the time, but the plan was for me to drive the dumptruck back home to Tulsa... Since we ended up with 2, I drove the R700 back. The R600 had holes in the back plate for a hitch, but no hitch. So we made a template of the holes, and when we got home I fabricated a hitch for a 2" ball to bolt to the plate. We had a Pontiac Phoenix to pull behind the motorhome, so we built a hitch on the back of it, and dad pulled the car toter trailer back up there with the Phoenix, bolted the hitch to the back of the R600, loaded the Phoenix on the toter and headed home... Made the trip OK, but that camelback suspension shook the piss out of the toter and car. Towbar would probably be a much better method. Or if he had found somewhere to put half a load of dirt or something in the bed it probably would have helped also.

Rob, you keep this sht up, and its REALLY gonna cost ya... A 10min measurement, can cost me 2hrs in visit time....the visit is fine, but lacking the spare 2hrs anymore.. I'll get by soon..

Aww, don't I know that one well. I have several older folks I just enjoy being with and around but the time is difficult to manage. No hurry on this one at all cause my other RL has a pintle on the rear, (didn't realize it, duh) and I'm using it for a pattern. It is about 8 inches lower than Roy's truck mountings but will suffice.

Yesterday I ordered 50' of -6 fuel line, 50' of -8 fuel line, and a dozen each of male and female fittings for each size hose. I use the Parker 102 series "Push-Lock" hose as it works well with air, or fuel lines. Also ordered all three radiator hoses, and have plenty of 1/2", and 3/4" heater hose in the shop. This will allow me to fabricate alongside the highway any lines that may burst, or give trouble. I already have a box of "Mack" filters and will travel to an auto parts store while there for coolant, oil, and fresh batteries. Really the only thing that concerns me is the water pump. I don't have a ready spare on the shelf although both my spare engines have known good pumps on them. I may "rob" one of those for the additional safety precaution.

Planning to throw a spare 24.5 tire either inside, or on the roof rack of the Jeep pre mounted on an aluminum rim, and have a small travel kit of tools available to ride along. If anyone can think of anything prudent to carry with me I'm listening for a change.

If you attempt to start that truck don't use ether in the turbo, use silicone spray to fire it off. There is no manual transfer pump on the injection pump on those engines and they can be a bitch to get primed up. Best to loosen the rubber elbow at the turbocharger and keep the engine running on the spray until it picks up fuel. Once it smooths on all eight, it will stay running. If you have never operated an air selected Mack transmission, make certain the rotation of the transmission has stopped and the truck not moving prior to selecting "R", or reverse at the "Selectair" valve on the shifter handle. We don't need to knock any teeth off the transmission gears......

I'm thinking I'll be headed over that way later next month, or early into May, but need to further finalize itinerary and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Rob