1973 RL797LST with tank

KidNV

LMAO! aint that the damn truth! maybe one of these days! seems when i find one i like,i aint got the cabbage,or vice-versa! plus being on the road 334 days a year really is'nt conducive to a "hobby" truck either!...........................Mark

I know where you might get yourself a nice white winch truck, a 1980 R612ST.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I know where you might get yourself a nice white winch truck, a 1980 R612ST.

Yes but it will not have the brand new RTO-14613 trans in it. I will reinstall another RTO-12513 that is known good I have already.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

good, I like that better anyway! Don't know about Mark, he's the one that's gonna be buying it.

Yes, but your influence and consideration is paramount in the decision making process.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, we can git it on there....lol But, just to be safe, bring a stretch lowboy, cause you'll find more there to take home... maybe tote back the B and/or LT crane for the other guys, and make some fuel cash.... Dont forget ,, the logger in the barn..........lol

Rob, we can git it on there....lol But, just to be safe, bring a stretch lowboy, cause you'll find more there to take home... maybe tote back the B and/or LT crane for the other guys, and make some fuel cash.... Dont forget ,, the logger in the barn..........lol

You keep bringin up them other trucks and Mark is gonna wind up with my other RL earlier than expected..........

Rob

Yes, but your influence and consideration is paramount in the decision making process.

Rob

that gives me an ideer-we can go halves on it, he can keep it 6 months-October thru March-then i'll get it April thru September...just a thought (Paul Van Scott), i'll have to run that plan by Mark.

that gives me an ideer-we can go halves on it, he can keep it 6 months-October thru March-then i'll get it April thru September...just a thought (Paul Van Scott), i'll have to run that plan by Mark.

That'll work. It even has a model "80" Tulsa winch, (100,000# line pull) that might come in handy.

Rob

'You keep bringin up them other trucks and Mark is gonna wind up with my other RL earlier than expected..........'

and,,, that would be bad, how?? Only thing better, would be seein you pull it all home with a Pete.......lol

btw, rememeber the secret one? ?

post-9818-0-92093800-1321723398_thumb.jp

Edited by KidNV

'You keep bringin up them other trucks and Mark is gonna wind up with my other RL earlier than expected..........'

and,,, that would be bad, how?? Only thing better, would be seein you pull it all home with a Pete.......lol

btw, rememeber the secret one? ?

Problem is in order for Mark to have my RL means I'm either in the ground, or cut up into small bite sized pieces evenly dispersed among the currents.

Roy has every right to be proud of that LT. Sure is nice. I'd like to have that for certain.

Pete:

Man I'd have to close my eyes tight with my back to the truck to take that; however, if the pulling unit is a Peterbilt I'd be certain to leave the cell phone ringer on exceptionally loud, and prolly take vacation from work to be available for rapid response in anticipaiton of the inevitable breakdowns enroute. Prolly take upwards of a month or so to transport the load 1/2 way across the country but who would be counting? If the Mack were a tractor, the pulling units could be swapped out with a chain, a local recycling facility located, and the poor decrepit thing, (Peterbilt) placed in a place of dignity and respect. The Mack could then deliver the load unimpeded to progress. But alas, it's not a tractor; so I'd have to wait.

At least those would be "Other Dog's" thoughts.

Rob

Problem is in order for Mark to have my RL means I'm either in the ground, or cut up into small bite sized pieces evenly dispersed among the currents.

Roy has every right to be proud of that LT. Sure is nice. I'd like to have that for certain.

Pete:

Man I'd have to close my eyes tight with my back to the truck to take that; however, if the pulling unit is a Peterbilt I'd be certain to leave the cell phone ringer on exceptionally loud, and prolly take vacation from work to be available for rapid response in anticipaiton of the inevitable breakdowns enroute. Prolly take upwards of a month or so to transport the load 1/2 way across the country but who would be counting? If the Mack were a tractor, the pulling units could be swapped out with a chain, a local recycling facility located, and the poor decrepit thing, (Peterbilt) placed in a place of dignity and respect. The Mack could then deliver the load unimpeded to progress. But alas, it's not a tractor; so I'd have to wait.

At least those would be "Other Dog's" thoughts.

Rob

Unfortunately, as we all know other dog no longer drives a Pete. If I did I could haul that RL to central Illinois for you so fast it would blow the paint off it, then you'd just have to repaint it, so it's probably for the better that I don't.

By the way, that is indeed one of the best looking LT's i've ever seen.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man this truck has some size to it. 39'6" total overall length and 9'6" in height. From kidnv's description the tires look close to new and maybe with some spare hoses, and lines to have as a backup, it would drive home. There is an auto parts store close so I'm thinking of shipping out a toobox with spare parts, flying out, installing new group 31 batteries, giving it a routine service, then jumping on the road heading east along the I-80 corridor. I have several contacts along the way so breakdown help wouldn't be much more than a couple hundred miles at most.

Now I'm starting to get excited.

Rob

I think I would wait til spring.

Definately. I'm not contemplating the drive over the mountains in the winter at all. The truck is safe and they are going to get it fired so it will take little time to become operational.

Rob

What is kinda different to this truck is it's construction. The former owner, (Roy) was a logger and the tank is designed to be lifted, or slid off leaving the pump installed, and log bunks slid onto the existing rails. Everything is self centering as far as alignment. This will be neat to have but I'll prolly use it as a water truck, or waste oil for the shop.

Regardless it will be going to work again.

Rob

IF the truck has been ran recently grab a bag of tools. Check them at the gate and get a one way ticket.. that's how I made my 600 mile trip to get my RS home. I did a quick,fluid , grease , dropped tire psi to around 30 and made a electrical check at the sellers yard. Then made my 10 hr trip home. My only advice would be to dodge the scales, they love to see old trucks that are worn out and make an easy target...its acctualy a fun adventure

I don't really know about all the legalities yet. The truck is licensed as an antique and the tank is clearly labled sides and rear, "non potable water" and "do not drink". Don't know how that will affect anything if if even will.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, dont know if I sent this link, but should be.. all the pics I took of it. Look at pic #2 close up above the mudflap, see the chain/binder lockdown for the tank,, then pic#3 11oclock above the front tag, close up, see the mount points, how they divit in the frame..

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk30/kidnv/Roys/RL797/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Rob, dont know if I sent this link, but should be.. all the pics I took of it. Look at pic #2 close up above the mudflap, see the chain/binder lockdown for the tank,, then pic#3 11oclock above the front tag, close up, see the mount points, how they divit in the frame..

http://s276.photobuc...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Hi Mike, great to see you post over here again. I am able to see what you mean with the mounting setup. Pretty neat how it was engineered for dual duty usage.

I'll be traveling out that way with enough spare -6, -8 "push loc" hose, and fittings, extra belts, water pump, oil filter kit, etc. to drive it back when the weather breaks. We will install new batteries out there and get a short "test run" performed before pushing off into the wild blue......

Really appreciate you looking after this for me.

Rob

Rob I travel out to Northern CA in May. I take I80 all the way...If you want tools brought out I can help. not sure if im driving solo or if the company would mind a pasenger? but may be able to help with that as well?

Trent

I'm not in much of a hurry and the truck is safe. Be great to ride along if possible.

When would you be headed back? Maybe we could be a "convoy" of two......

Rob