Volvo Mack Cabs

There have been quite a few comments about Mack getting the volvo cab and that being the straw that breaks the camels back as far as volvo and Mack being the same. As far as cabs go I believe both volvo and Mack

use cabs built by Mayflower.When the cab contract comes to an end I guess they will probably

choose the best one or an entirely new cab. In years gone by International FWD Hendrickson

Sicard and others all used the same cab. This cab was usually refered to as the International

cab but actually it was built by Chicago manufacturing. The B model cab was also built by

Chicago manufacturing. Actually the B model cab was very similar to Reo and KB Internationals.

The LT and H model were very similar. If you look at the B-model integral sleepers it looks

like the back end of an H-model incorpotated into the front end of the B model. Cabs being

built by third parties is nothing new. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been quite a few comments about Mack getting the volvo cab and that being the straw that breaks the camels back as far as volvo and Mack being the same. As far as cabs go I believe both volvo and Mack

use cabs built by Mayflower.When the cab contract comes to an end I guess they will probably

choose the best one or an entirely new cab. In years gone by International FWD Hendrickson

Sicard and others all used the same cab. This cab was usually refered to as the International

cab but actually it was built by Chicago manufacturing. The B model cab was also built by

Chicago manufacturing. Actually the B model cab was very similar to Reo and KB Internationals.

The LT and H model were very similar. If you look at the B-model integral sleepers it looks

like the back end of an H-model incorporated into the front end of the B model. Cabs being

built by third parties is nothing new. :)

So far its part rumor. I am sure someone on this site knows for sure. Mayflower Vehicle systems was aquired by the Commercial Vehicle Group, so thats the company's name now.

Volvo is looking to consolidate their entire truck line, I am surprised Renault Trucks is lasting this long too, especially since two Volvo Models use the Renault cabs. It will be a sad day once the Mack's are cabbed with Volvo cabs, the final blow that starts the Mack death spiral.

But I do have a bit of hope, the pinnacle line was transferred to the Macunge plant so it looks like Volvo might be trying to separate the brands a bit. Hopefully they renew the Commercial Vehicle Contract.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

About 4 years ago, Volvo / Mack people invited several high profile Mack fleet customers to a "customer cab clinic" at the Mack world headquarters. All were asked to sign confidentiality agreements. Engineers set up two crude cab representations made out of plywood and other generic materials,that just happened to be identical dimensions, and seating positions to a Mack cab & a Volvo cab.

They had steering wheels, pedals, and generic dashes in them with basic controls and such in them. There was no question that the cabs repesented a Mack Cab verses a Volvo cab. They had orange cones set up around them, and asked customers to sit in both of them, and compre the seating position and visibility. After that, customers were taken upstairs to a conference room, where they were asked many questions about what they liked or disliked about each of them, and the whole discussion was video taped.

I believe that was an atempt then to go to a "common" cab, but the Mack guys had a clear preference for the "Mack" cab.

Then sometime later, at a Mid America truck show, Mack / Volvo people invited high profile Mack fleet owners to another clinic where they were asked should Mack remove the bulldog hood ornament, in the interest of saving weight and money, and a more streamlined appearance. Again the idea met a lot of resistance from the Mack customers.

The point is this, I believe Volvo would like very much to loose the Mack identity. But despite recent Mack changes and short commings, Mack still has some of the highest brand loyalty in a world where there is very little loyalty to anything. It's not a matter of "if", it's only a matter of "when".

Sad, so sad.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

So far its part rumor. I am sure someone on this site knows for sure. Mayflower Vehicle systems was aquired by the Commercial Vehicle Group, so thats the company's name now.

Volvo is looking to consolidate their entire truck line, I am surprised Renault Trucks is lasting this long too, especially since two Volvo Models use the Renault cabs. It will be a sad day once the Mack's are cabbed with Volvo cabs, the final blow that starts the Mack death spiral.

But I do have a bit of hope, the pinnacle line was transferred to the Macunge plant so it looks like Volvo might be trying to separate the brands a bit. Hopefully they renew the Commercial Vehicle Contract.

I think the reason why Renault Trucks is still there is because the french would strike and shut down the country.

I think the reason why Renault Trucks is still there is because the french would strike and shut down the country.

All the while holding their supervisors hostage.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Budd built cabs for years. The most common was the Furd cabover C series. Mack also used this cab and it looked like a Furd with a Bulldog on the nose. You could also get a Chrysler Hemi gas engine as an option in a Mack! I had to drive one of those Renault cabbed volvo FE cabovers once and it was guttless junk. Rode like a springboard and rattled worse than the loose junk in Rob's head! :lol:

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

...should Mack remove the bulldog hood ornament, in the interest of saving weight and money, and a more streamlined appearance...

Dave

how much weight and wind resistance would the bulldog possibly make? ridiculous! sounds like taking a grain of sand off the beach as far as overall effect.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

how much weight and wind resistance would the bulldog possibly make? ridiculous! sounds like taking a grain of sand off the beach as far as overall effect.

I love the look of that dog dancing on the hood of my truck.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Actually Mack sells trucks without the Bulldog on the hood for certain customers if they request it. In some countries outside the US it is illegal to have anything protruding from the vehicle ala Russia.

I heard a story when I worked at Mack that UPS did not want the bulldog on the hood. Mack said it was a handle so UPS decided to keep it (safety item). If you notice, UPS Mack trucks to not have the letters M-A-C-K on the grille.

some of the early UPS CH macks just had a handel where the dog was to be. Roadway did simmilar on the R models. It was back when Mack would do what the coustomers wanted weather it made sence to most or just to the company that had the check book out and ready to write a check for millions.

I think the mack name will always live on but its product developments will be doomed. not becasue of the shared engines, or offering off bree parts,HQ moving etc.. thats all sad but I feel that it has more to do with the fact that Vulva will not listen to the mack employees and owners that have been building and driving them them for the last 20-30 years. Vulva keeps pushing there junk onto the mack frame regardless of what we say we want . They listen to no one and build trucks that suits the needs of simple fleets and upper vulva managment. Rarely do I see anymore a mack or Volva that is very HD or has some one off options. I also dont see many classic looking macks onthe road that are owned by Owner operators. If Pete and KW can meet the needs of millions of O/O Mack can too. In my opinion Paccar has given the over the road truckers what they want for years. Options on HP/Engines/body styles etc... I see mack (lously)holding its own in on/off road markets but highway is lacking options. But why wast everyones time it looks as Vulva will just keep F%$King it up for us. I just feel sorry to all the true Employees that know what mack once stood for. they have to go to work and watch the dog die more every day.

some of the early UPS CH macks just had a handel where the dog was to be. Roadway did simmilar on the R models. It was back when Mack would do what the coustomers wanted weather it made sence to most or just to the company that had the check book out and ready to write a check for millions.

I think the mack name will always live on but its product developments will be doomed. not becasue of the shared engines, or offering off bree parts,HQ moving etc.. thats all sad but I feel that it has more to do with the fact that Vulva will not listen to the mack employees and owners that have been building and driving them them for the last 20-30 years. Vulva keeps pushing there junk onto the mack frame regardless of what we say we want . They listen to no one and build trucks that suits the needs of simple fleets and upper vulva managment. Rarely do I see anymore a mack or Volva that is very HD or has some one off options. I also dont see many classic looking macks onthe road that are owned by Owner operators. If Pete and KW can meet the needs of millions of O/O Mack can too. In my opinion Paccar has given the over the road truckers what they want for years. Options on HP/Engines/body styles etc... I see mack (lously)holding its own in on/off road markets but highway is lacking options. But why wast everyones time it looks as Vulva will just keep F%$King it up for us. I just feel sorry to all the true Employees that know what mack once stood for. they have to go to work and watch the dog die more every day.

V*lv* has infected the Bulldog with distemper.

There are 2 large construction companies in this area that were all Mack fleets, and now are buying other brands.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

One of the things Volvo forgets is that Mack and Volvo owners need different features in a cab. Over half of North American market Volvos are sold with the integral sleeper cab. Those users need the widest possible cab and want all the road vibrations, etc. damped out. In short, they want a spacious, quiet, and smooth home for their life on the road. Most Macks are bought for vocational uses, in fact the Granite usually outsells the Pinnacle. Most Mack users want a narrower cab for easy entry, good feel of the road and where each wheel is planted, enough vibration and engine sound so they know when to shift gears without looking at the tach, and an interior they can hose out at the end of a muddy day. Thus Volvo and Mack need separate cabs, although they could share doors and such like the Mack MH and CH did.

Thats how it is around here Herb.. Once the R models were noted to be on the the way out lots of fleets went cheep and looked to FL or looked at petes. The E teck engines did not help the cause either!!! I hate to say it but I think Pete took full advantage of the situation and used all there powers to get there foot in the eastern off road door when they had the opertunity.. Petes have come along way in the last 10 years with the options they have for off road use. I dont remember them being this strong in the eastern off road market when I started driving trucks just a short 10 years ago. Its difficult now because I see lots of drivers that dont want to drive an Rmodel. Than again there are not many drivers out there anymore. !

Thats how it is around here Herb.. Once the R models were noted to be on the the way out lots of fleets went cheep and looked to FL or looked at petes. The E teck engines did not help the cause either!!! I hate to say it but I think Pete took full advantage of the situation and used all there powers to get there foot in the eastern off road door when they had the opertunity.. Petes have come along way in the last 10 years with the options they have for off road use. I dont remember them being this strong in the eastern off road market when I started driving trucks just a short 10 years ago. Its difficult now because I see lots of drivers that dont want to drive an Rmodel. Than again there are not many drivers out there anymore. !

We are a Mack Dealer here and Kenworth is killing us the off road/dumptruck new sales. We cant hardly sell a GU, our customers that used to buy Macks are now buying Kenworths due to the MP engines having a rash of camshaft failures(and injector cup failures too) and they were around when the ETECH engine had all their cams going out, they just didnt trust the MP engine.

We are a Mack Dealer here and Kenworth is killing us the off road/dumptruck new sales. We cant hardly sell a GU, our customers that used to buy Macks are now buying Kenworths due to the MP engines having a rash of camshaft failures(and injector cup failures too) and they were around when the ETECH engine had all their cams going out, they just didnt trust the MP engine.

Yep.. Paccar got the foot in and they kept the new truck price fair. the only complaints I have really heard were from electrical troubles mainly on parts that KW did not build such as the engine. The trans or rears also seam to be holding up better than they could before? Im still a mack man but have to give credit where its due. Just look at the styling of a KW or Pete and its hard to say the new macks look as good. Lets face it. you dont nerd a sloped hood to improve MPG when the truck spends most of its life under 30MPH. Volvo just wont let the Mack team build a better truck?

Than again there are not many drivers out there anymore. !

That statement is kinda funny to me. The day before yesterday I had a piece of freight dropped off and the driver noticed all the old Macks around the shop. He drove up in a fairly late model single axle, air ride Sterling. I let him crawl into the cab of the 77 R795 and upon discovering it had two gearshift handles he asked, (and I qoute) "How do you drive this"? Assuming he meant how to shift the truck correctly, my discovery was my interpretation of his question was incorrect. I also looked at how far of a degredation the trucking industry has suffered. He meant, no air conditioner, no air ride, two stick transmission, and a few other ammenities I'm certain. My reply to his question after ascertaining it's meaning? The truck was built for work when truck driver's were just that.

With little following conversation, he departed on short order.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That statement is kinda funny to me. The day before yesterday I had a piece of freight dropped off and the driver noticed all the old Macks around the shop. He drove up in a fairly late model single axle, air ride Sterling. I let him crawl into the cab of the 77 R795 and upon discovering it had two gearshift handles he asked, (and I qoute) "How do you drive this"? Assuming he meant how to shift the truck correctly, my discovery was my interpretation of his question was incorrect. I also looked at how far of a degredation the trucking industry has suffered. He meant, no air conditioner, no air ride, two stick transmission, and a few other ammenities I'm certain. My reply to his question after ascertaining it's meaning? The truck was built for work when truck driver's were just that.

With little following conversation, he departed on short order.

Rob

I'm far from being the greatest truck driver in the world...or the U.S....or Virginia...or even Gladys...or probably in the neighborhood-you get the idea. But when I started I had no AC,power steering,radio that worked-and that was just an AM-no jake brake of course,they were very rare then,and about half the horsepower of today.For years I drove trucks like that and hauled loads heavier than I do now.Every load of kyanite was 50,155 lbs except Illinois,Indiana,and Missouri loads-they were only 42,210 because their weight limit was still 73,280.And I liked it.But ones that came before me,like Old Bill and Double Diamond that did the same with even less than I had-they're the real truck drivers.I came across 60 today from Charleston,W.V. and thought about Double Diamond making that run in an H-model Mack-2 sticks, 170 horsepower.That's a truck driver.Very few of these know-it-all drivers today could make that particular run- in todays equipment! In fact,I saw a load of paper turned over today on Armstrong mountain.

well when iI started back in 2000 I was in a 81 R model with a 285 and a 6 speed. air ride seat was the only comfort. camel back rears on rubber block cab. No AC but it did have PS. I thought I was a king driving the Ex Palumbo construction truck. then I moved up to a 87 R model that had an air ride cab.. OMG Im doing great. After i changed jobs over to racing I got spoiled. 97 IH with air ride, air ride cab, 550 HP 18 speed.. It was so niceto drive but it still dont feel like trucking to me. I like the AC but i like to feel the road a little. and feel what the truck is doing. when I bought My RS it had no PS and boy was that hell trying to get into places down town with the dump trailer. I was wore out at the end of a day. it now has PS and life is good might get a AC set up one day just so I can keep the windows down but not sweat my but off sitting at stop lights in a gloss black truck!

well when iI started back in 2000 I was in a 81 R model with a 285 and a 6 speed. air ride seat was the only comfort. camel back rears on rubber block cab. No AC but it did have PS. I thought I was a king driving the Ex Palumbo construction truck. then I moved up to a 87 R model that had an air ride cab.. OMG Im doing great. After i changed jobs over to racing I got spoiled. 97 IH with air ride, air ride cab, 550 HP 18 speed.. It was so niceto drive but it still dont feel like trucking to me. I like the AC but i like to feel the road a little. and feel what the truck is doing. when I bought My RS it had no PS and boy was that hell trying to get into places down town with the dump trailer. I was wore out at the end of a day. it now has PS and life is good might get a AC set up one day just so I can keep the windows down but not sweat my but off sitting at stop lights in a gloss black truck!

You know,that's something I don't like about new trucks-they don't have the vents like they used to. When I drove F-models without an air conditioner you could open the vent in front and the one in the roof,put a kool-cushion in your seat, and stay pretty cool.Now I have no vents,and if I try to ride with the window down so much air comes in it just blows everything all over the cab.If the AC quits,you're just screwed!