Volvo Mack Cabs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought SCR/DPF was mandatory to meet 2010 EPA regs. Maybee 2009's were just mandatory DPF. B)

The other day they were building both SCR and non-SCR truck on the assembly line. Back a few years ago the EPA would let Mack build up 3 months worth of (dirty)engines to use the next year (during an emission change) . I think we had 3 months of non DPF MP7's to use up when they were really suposed to use the DPF engines. It might have been the EGR years ( 03 to 04 ), I cant remember exactly. We had some Mack Powertrain guys come down and we had a diner and they put on a slide show about SCR and it dont look all that bad. Our MP8 485 is now 505 HP!!!!!!

I thought SCR/DPF was mandatory to meet 2010 EPA regs. Maybee 2009's were just mandatory DPF. B)

You do not need SCR until January 1, 2010. Any engine built before that date only needs a DPF. The truck manufacturers are offering both before 2010 but you must pay the ~$8K premium (varies by company) for an SCR engine.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

... Our MP8 485 is now 505 HP!!!!!!

That'd be nice...having that kind of power...but not if it means having to put up with all the other government mandated emissions crap. :thumbsdown:

I have a habit of bypassing (rather than replacing) any component I deem unnecessary if/when it goes bad. Easier to just not have to worry about it. :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Hmmmmmmm........ SCR at last. We just ordered 2 new GU's last week and had the option to get with or without SCR.

During the Macungie plant tour I saw a DEF tank ready to go on a truck at the assembly line. So even then they were making them.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

During the Macungie plant tour I saw an DEF tank ready for assembly at the assembly line. So even then they were making them.

The problem with all this new emissions crap is that retailers don't want to invest the money in getting the stuff, whether it's ULSD or DEF...until there is a market for it...and nobody wants to buy the new trucks with the new emissions crap because they can't buy what they need for it. I mean heck, if you DO buy a 2010 truck, you have to find a place that sells DEF at least every other fill-up or you are SOL. It was quite a while before I started seeing the ULSD pumps around here...heck, there's still some pumps marked "not for use in 2007 or newer vehicles" because the tanks haven't been ULSD certified yet. I can't see DEF getting pumps any quicker. Sure, they may sell it in jugs inside the store...probably at the same mark-up as the oil. $18 for a gallon of friggin' oil you can go to Wal-Mart and buy for $10. :thumbsdown: ...and people complain about the price gouging at the PUMP!!! :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!