Kiwi Mack RB688RST Rebuild

Hey Paul, 

I was cringing when I was deciding whether to do it or not, but I found it fairly easy the rust only started from the cross member from behind the cab so that was a bonus. Yeah the cabs a galv one being a MK2 Superliner cab so no rust at all that I can see.

cheers keegan

• Like 1

Wow, that’s some serious operation. I was just kind of curious what a dashboard looks like on a right hand drive that truck is very unusual. Looking looks to be in pretty good shape. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:38 AM, Mackman686 said:

Thanks rubber duck, 

They are unique to New Zealand, they only built 52 inbetween the end of the R series and the start of the right hand drive CH. 

They are R Series chassis and running gear, with a MC set back front axle, MK2 Superliner cab, NZ designed and built bonnet, an Ultraliner centre part of the grill and an Australian Valueliner front bumper.

I am glad ALL those parts are MACK!!!  It looks like they cleaned up the parts room and built a neat truck.. Thanks for sharing..

• Like 1

Brocky

7 hours ago, mowerman said:

Wow, that’s some serious operation. I was just kind of curious what a dashboard looks like on a right hand drive that truck is very unusual. Looking looks to be in pretty good shape. Thanks for sharing.

Hi There,

Yeah they do look very unusual, they were only built for 2 years as well.  So sort of rare as such here in NZ but not everyone's cup of tea. Here is a couple of photos of the Interior before i pulled it all apart.mackrb9.jpeg.0a442a20f041735c92189c89b6fdc442.jpegmackrb10.jpeg.ebb261cab949298f91021224225b2aa1.jpeg 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Very nice work!! It looks great. Interesting differences from that to the U.S. models.

Thanks mate, yeah there is a lot of differences. I think these were the first macks in NZ to have the air cleaner under the bonnet, everything else was external.

• Like 1

What a cool truck! It's cool to recognize all the parts but arranged in different places. 

Does this truck have the E6, E7 or maybe even the E9? I've heard in some countries they continued E6 production well after they stopped making them here. Did they offer the E9 in New Zealand? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I have never even heard of these before! 

• Like 2

Bob I can tell you they most definitely did have the E9 over there 

It just happened to coincide with a family holiday to NZ that the 50 years of Mack in NZ was on, pure coincidence, I swear it was

I was stunned that even though Kiwi Macks look almost the same as Australian ones they are definitely custom built for NewZealand 

Well worth jumping on the kero kite for a look one day if you get a chance

Paul

• Like 2