Lateral play in steer tires.

I got the kingpins and bushings,the pins are tapered but the bushings and their respective locations on the pins are not tapered.So these won`t require a tapered reamer.Does this sound like the correct parts for a FA 505 axle/knuckle? I`d hate to have a shop disassemble only to find that I gave them the wrong parts(nos Mack 301SQ32B).It would mean leaving the truck outside at the shop in a not-so-great area until I came up with correct parts,or putting it back together w/ the old pins...at $110/hr.

The pins are tapered where they go into the axle beam..  both ends are straight..  the taper is designed so that the pin will not move upward with a load on them, and the thrust bearing takes the load of the front end weight.  I wish you were doing the repair..  You would see what we are talking about.. Not being there is also an issue for me, and I am sure, for a few others on this thread...  Jojo

• Like 2

The British buses had taper pins also, they took a large Kin Pin press to get them out, sometime with heat to the knuckle. Look out when they finely release! Shot one down into a brick floor and punched the brick down a bit! Sounded like a rifle shot.

My FA 517 was tapered pin.  I had it apart faster then it took to jack the truck up.  I was amazed.  I've done my twin I beam trucks that took days to get the pins out!!  Being tapered it took one smack with a 5# hammer and they dropped out.  One bushing was roller, can't recall if I had to resize the other end?  It was 21 yrs ago.  That was my first big job on the truck after I bought it.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

My FA 517 was tapered pin.  I had it apart faster then it took to jack the truck up.  I was amazed.  I've done my twin I beam trucks that took days to get the pins out!!  Being tapered it took one smack with a 5# hammer and they dropped out.  One bushing was roller, can't recall if I had to resize the other end?  It was 21 yrs ago.  That was my first big job on the truck after I bought it.

That's a lot like the one I did on mine.  Seems like a needle bearing on one end and a Teflon-lined sleeve on the other end.  Needed no reaming or fitting.  Just bolted together.  Only issue I had was that the screws holding the cap on top of the knuckle had to be drilled out and the holes cleaned up.  I replaced the Phillips head screws with socket head cap screws.  No interference anywhere and a whole lot easier for the next guy to get out.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Here is a great picture of how the components stack up.  I hope this will help explain how the tapered pins work.  Like the man said above, the tapered part seats in the axle beam.  The bearings/bushings go into the knuckle.  And the thrust bearing is adjusted into place with the big nut on the bottom.

image.thumb.jpeg.9238e8ceb4f534ebb84dfaa6b4546a14.jpeg

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1

Here are pictures of “Type 3” knuckles, which I THINK is correct for a FA505. One has a needle bearing and the other doesn’t.  I am also attaching a picture of a “Type 2”, which uses a different thrust bearing setup. 
I hope this helps. 

IMG_7532.jpeg

IMG_7531.jpeg

IMG_7533.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Great pics,DCW,thankyou.I believe my truck has the Type 3,Figure9-9 setup.So the taper of the pin in the axle bears the weight,and the adjusting nut on the bottom moves the knuckle up or down slightly to maintain clearance w/ the axle? 

9 hours ago, skydawg said:

Great pics,DCW,thankyou.I believe my truck has the Type 3,Figure9-9 setup.So the taper of the pin in the axle bears the weight,and the adjusting nut on the bottom moves the knuckle up or down slightly to maintain clearance w/ the axle? 

Exactly.

one method of bronze bushing installation without hammer pounding which could lead to bushing damage is to use a large C-clamp and two steel pieces. clean/lube all parts , use C=clamp as a "press" .provides steady equal pressure to bushing and keep bushing lubed  as clamp presses it in .  have done the large socket method and hammer also. 

• Like 1

not sure if newer bushings  have an outer groove for grease or just the one hole. only one hole ,make sure bushing install has the bushing grease hole  lining up with the spindle grease fitting location when finally in place. improper line up grease won't reach intended area 

• Like 2

I'll bet those can just be pressed in place.  Should have some clearance if placed on the pins on the bench.

Just be sure to line up the holes with the grease supply ports so you can grease them.

I think you have the "no ream" types there, from the pictures and your description.

• Like 1

No reaming. And no de- burring if you install them smoothly. The holes line up with the grease zerks.  I have a homemade press made out of a cutoff brake chamber rod, and 2 large flat washers and 2 nuts to install the bushings flush , and then flip a big socket over and use it to recess the bushings for the grease seals..  I'm sure there is a dozen ways to do it.. you will laugh when your done, because you will see how easy it is to do.  jojo

• Like 1

You know what we havent talked about???????????? Removing the old bushings.....  clean the grease out really good.  then take a pocket screwdriver or a pick and poke around the edge of the bushing to find the seam..  (if it is not an older brass bushing), and that is where you can curl the old bushing out with a screwdriver or small sharp chisel..  if you have the brass bushing, you can try to knock it out with a small chisel,  when you get it apart you will know better, of course,  the bushings may be worn so thin that you can pry them out with a screwdriver..  dont sweat it..  Jojo

I didn`t gat any grease seals in the kit.I don`t see any in the Figure 9-9 pic that DCW posted.Can I re-use the old ones if I have them? If I spread the bushing seams by hand,they fit over the pins,but I`d think they would need reaming when installed in the knuckle,since they`re a no go over the pins when the seam is tight.

to remove the old bushings (thick wall)  I've taken a socket tad smaller then spindle hole. put socket against the bushing backward meaning the socket is basically upside down against bushing 1/2 in drive extension through spindle goes into socket and tap / hammer out old bushing. it's the Polish// frugal way of having a bushing remover= installer.

looking at the bushing pictures  even having 2 grease holes ;are the holes off center top to bottom ??  install upside down will the holes be off from lining up to zerk hole ?  possibly just the photo makes off set appearance. been a while for me doing bushings.

• Like 1