Lateral play in steer tires.

With either front tire jacked off the ground,I get about an inch and a half of movement when I grab the tire at the top and push and pull.This occurs equally w/ left and right tires.I`m guessing this isn`t good,even though the front end feels solid going down the road...no shimmying or wobbling up to 50 mph,which is as fast as I`ve gone,so far.This is a 1961 B61 w/ an FA505 axle.Can anyone help in diagnosing the problem? Thanks.

Keyser may have a kit for it..  I have seen several B-Model axles repaired at a Mack dealer up to about 4 years ago.  

I need to find a set for My '48 Int. as well. 

I doubt the Mack parts will be available.  But, Like JoJo says, there are aftermarket suppliers who can use the factory part numbers.  I think mine were Stemco-Kaiser.

Here is a clip from an old service kit list.  Looks like Mack had discontinued these even back then.

Might try reading this link...

image.png.a7ee57ddda0b5c68437e3e8b47db11d8.png

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I'm sittin here thinkin about the last king pin job I did. It was over 2 years ago. It was for an '86 Super liner. I got the kit from Mack.. After reading back a few posts on this, it seems to me that in the short time I have been out of the truck repair business, everyday parts are quickly becoming hard to find or diss-continued.  Now I wish I was a 'machinist' with a fully equipped shop.  

• Like 1

When I did my FA535 axle kingpins, it seemed like there were a half dozen sources for the kit.  But, especially on these older trucks, I am seeing more and more stuff disappear.  Gotta be the Volvo influence!  Mack EXPECTED their trucks to last forever, and they tried to support them with parts so they COULD last forever.  Not the case in this throw-away world.  If it's more than 10 years old, "we gotta get rid of it".

5 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

You speak the truth DCW..  It bothers me that something I am very proud of, is easily dissolved.  Hopefully we can help him figure out, and fix his issue..

There have been several discussions on here in the past related to the early B model kingpin sets.  Maybe some of those threads will yield a good part number.  Or, the eBay link I posted?

Maybe this is another one of those things Barry and Company should look into.  If they could find someone to make new kits, there just might be a market.  Just look at the names in the B-model registry!

Barry...you listenin'?

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I've been looking at several cross references.  But, some of them circle back around to a different Mack part number when you cross reference them "the other direction" or through multiple suppliers.  I always feel better when that trip leads back to the same Mack number.  Wow.  I'm not sure that even made sense to me!

Personally, if the axle number and year matches up, I'd jump all over this one.  NOS Mack parts.  Or, maybe somebody could buy this one to use as a pattern for the new ones.  If I had them, I could probably do drawings for them.  And loo!  There are 2 sets available!  Maybe I should buy them as an investment!

image.thumb.png.5e6cb74d9b4b77bcf66c403a7c7a8fcd.png

I keep running into part numbers that are cross references for the 301SQ32B which also cross back over to the 301SQ45A.

Any chance the 45A would fit the 32B applications?  I kinda have my doubts.  But...

Anyway, here's something to think on.

image.png.d245ec49223da59e2ce2c5b02d18dc5c.png

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

I am leaning towards worn king pin bushings, he said both sides are sloppy.  I hope these pics from a B-61 book I have helps, along with the great info DCW has posted.. Jojo

KIMG2141.JPG

KIMG2142.JPG

KIMG2143.JPG

Looking at your post reminds me of when I did mine and had to set that nut under the thrust bearing.  What a killer setup these things had.

I hope his "early" axle has the same setup with the tapered pins and the thrust bearing.

• Like 2

Skydawg,,  Take a close look at the pictures I posted. the second one has specs that may be useful to the machine shop, when it comes to fitting the pins into the new bushings.  I can e-mail them to you so you can print them.  just post or P.M. your e-mail..  Jojo