Why is this engine tilted? Dodge Cabover

BOBWhite

Diamond T tilted some engines in short hood models to get the doghouse under the dash.. Geoff mentioned the White 9000, and Autocar made a snub nosed model also , Not sure about REO??? 

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 2

Brocky

did head gaskets on an ole white conventional yrs ago that had the slanted cummins . what a pain - in- ass. as stated it was slanted to fit  half under fire wall and in to cab with dog house.  corner studs 325 lbs torque ?  no room to put 3/4 dr torque wrench . bad enough putting heads under cab with flat engine!! two of us holding head off gasket so not destroy it going under slanted 

• Like 2

mechohaulic, that brings back memories! I worked at Cat and we would get LN9000 Fords that had a 3406 halfway under the cab (slightly tilted). It was a royal pain to swap cylinder packs in those.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

thanks for that.....my first car was a 64 plymouth valiant with the slant 6.....kind of a goofy little car.lol also drove a conventional dodge trash truck one day,,,just helping out a buddy of mine i think is was around a 66....gas job....i do remember the steering wheel was huge,,and it had pullout refrigerator door handles

They sold a fair number of medium trucks, but Class 8 road tractors they had a much smaller market share.

I had a '73 Dart Sport (Duster clone) with a '65 225 and an Aspen O/D 4 speed and 3.23 rear. Would get high 20's @55 and low 20's at 80, Topped out at 103 in O/D 105 in direct.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mowerman said:

thanks for that.....my first car was a 64 plymouth valiant with the slant 6.....kind of a goofy little car.lol also drove a conventional dodge trash truck one day,,,just helping out a buddy of mine i think is was around a 66....gas job....i do remember the steering wheel was huge,,and it had pullout refrigerator door handles

65 was laast year for fridge door handles on trucks.

66 went to regular car door handle

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, Geoff Weeks said:

They sold a fair number of medium trucks, but Class 8 road tractors they had a much smaller market share.

I had a '73 Dart Sport (Duster clone) with a '65 225 and an Aspen O/D 4 speed and 3.23 rear. Would get high 20's @55 and low 20's at 80, Topped out at 103 in O/D 105 in direct.

I was working at a Plymouth dealer and 72 it was one of my first jobs washbay saw hundreds of brand new 73 scamps and dusters

Ford D series and Cargos had motors that laid over from new 

They were built from the 60's to well into the 90's

The motors were better built than the trucks I felt

Slant 6 were available in Dodge trucks in Australia until the normal inline 6 cylinder hemi came of age 

Paul

Well I had no idea that tilted engines were as common as they were. They seem to have fallen out of favor in most applications except in busses. 64A81E77-E86B-43D2-9E0D-23C8F4A6D705.thumb.jpeg.54016f60922842eaaa19ffdd4877a967.jpeg

I don't envy the folks who have to work on these but I do envy those like Paul who got the Hemi inline 6 down in Australia...

• Like 1

Back when buses had 318 DD in them (GMC 4106 model for example). Not only did they turn backwards but on their side with the right head facing up. You had to remove the rear seat to get at it for service. The motor was mounted side to side, with a 45* angle to a 4 speed transmission, 90* tail shaft/drive shaft to 45* rear end. They sure were fun to drive! Best picture l could find of an '06.    .....Hippy 

GMC PD-4106: Photos, Reviews, News, Specs, Buy car

GM 4106 Bus Conversion "For Sale" ENGINE - YouTube

Edited by 70mackMB
Add on