Why is this engine tilted? Dodge Cabover

BOBWhite

My uncle owned a school bus business and Sammy had two of those busses like in the previous pictures. I removed the 318 in the one bus and found it had a bad block so took three engines and made one good one it was quite a project removing and reinstalling the engine tilted over and in under the bus body and you had to adjust the clutch fingers on the pressure plate. The later busses he bought the engines were mounted more normally and still two stroke DD's. It must be almost forty years ago when I did that tilted over detroit.

18 hours ago, h67st said:

But if the DD was tilted over, wouldn't it slobber oil? Oh, wait...

In my opinion, all of the 2 stroke engines in a vehicle should’ve had fast idle solenoids on them like the busses. Those engines weren’t made to idle. 
The oil pans were 2 pieces in a 45 to 90 degrees configuration. Transmissions were a heck of a deal, the whole unit was something to see.

the 8v-71’s were laid over pretty good in the 9500’s & brigadier trucks also.

8 hours ago, mowerman said:

I should think improper engine oiling 

Detroit 2 strokes had the oil control rings below the ports at all times, so it wouldn't effect slobber or engine oiling.

Ranger inverted 6 had all the pistons facing down, most radials have several pistons below the centerline.