why is it...

RowdyRebel

...that when you're making ice cubes (the old fashioned way, with trays, not the automatic ice maker in the freezer), if the tray is sitting there solo, the ice cubes come out nice & clean. If you stack 2 trays one on top of the other, the ice cubes come out of the top tray nice & clean, but they break & stick in the bottom tray. Doesn't matter which tray is in which position...we've got 3, and it's always the same. The solo tray & top tray always come out clean. The bottom tray the just doesn't like to let go of the cubes. I could understand if it was always the same tray sticking...but that tray in a different position comes out clean, and the tray that just gave you nice cleanly released cubes the last time when it was solo or on top, sticks like a SOB if it' on the bottom the next go-round. Happens the same in either freezer...big upright deep freezer or the one above the fridge. If there's another tray stacked on top of it, it'll stick. If not, whether there's another tray below it or not, it releases the cubes clean.

Anyone know why that is?🤔

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

to make you nuttier than squirrel turds? 

trick: before releasing lower tray cubes, put it in a pan of hot water for around 30 seconds. the heated tray will let the cubes come rite out. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

10 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

...that when you're making ice cubes (the old fashioned way, with trays, not the automatic ice maker in the freezer), if the tray is sitting there solo, the ice cubes come out nice & clean. If you stack 2 trays one on top of the other, the ice cubes come out of the top tray nice & clean, but they break & stick in the bottom tray. Doesn't matter which tray is in which position...we've got 3, and it's always the same. The solo tray & top tray always come out clean. The bottom tray the just doesn't like to let go of the cubes. I could understand if it was always the same tray sticking...but that tray in a different position comes out clean, and the tray that just gave you nice cleanly released cubes the last time when it was solo or on top, sticks like a SOB if it' on the bottom the next go-round. Happens the same in either freezer...big upright deep freezer or the one above the fridge. If there's another tray stacked on top of it, it'll stick. If not, whether there's another tray below it or not, it releases the cubes clean.

Anyone know why that is?🤔

Maybe the upper tray holds more cold air in the bottom tray, making it somewhat different?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Yep I turn m

3 hours ago, tjc transport said:

trick: before releasing lower tray cubes, put it in a pan of hot water for around 30 seconds. the heated tray will let the cubes come rite out. 

Yep I stack three trays in our freezer and when I take one out, I turn it over and run it under the hot water for a few seconds and then twist the tray and they all pop nice and neat and clean. 

I also fill them with hot water when putting into the freezer. Makes better cubes. Dunno why???

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Is this thread only about ice cubes, or is it a "why is it" about any thing...  Like,,, 

why is it that Cats and Dogs know how good Fish tastes?  How do they know??? 

• Haha 1

IDK but, l was told there is less oxygen in hot water. That is why they use it in the Zamboni when they resurface the ice at the hockey games. lt will freeze faster and leave a smooth surface.  🏒  .....Hippy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mark T said:

Deep man...... deep.   You're like one of those fillossofers 

Like wow man I did not know you were hip to the 60s generation or perhaps being a smart ass like I usually am ha ha… Bob

10 hours ago, mowerman said:

Like wow man I did not know you were hip to the 60s generation or perhaps being a smart ass like I usually am ha ha… Bob

Bob     imitation is said to be the most sincere form of flattery  

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, High Binder said:

Just curious, what if you put something under the bottom tray, 1/4 plywood, plastic, or maybe piece of aluminum for the trays to set on.

Doesn't seem to matter if they're on the shelf, on top of other food boxes, or what else happens to be beneath them. It's just odd, and I was hoping there'd be some scienetifical answer that'd make it make sense. The stuck & broken cubes don't bother me near as much as wondering WHY if 2 trays are stacked, the bottom tray never comes out cleanly. It just seems wierd...so best I can figure, the trays are somehow related to my wife.🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 7/14/2023 at 6:09 AM, mowerman said:

I’ve had an automatic icemaker last 17 years I don’t know what your issue is, but I do know your tongue will stick to those … lol bob

The freezer has an automatic ice maker, but I think a line broke. If the fridge is closed too hard, the freezer door pops open a little...and if it's packed too full, the magnetic closer doesn't pull the door closed again. Don't know if it was one of the kids, the mother-in-law, wife...SOMEBODY left the freezer cracked open and things started thawing...then I got home from work, got pissed off, and closed it. Wife got home from work a few hours later and it was frozen inside again...but a big puddle on the kitchen floor. Ice maker had flooded the freezer, fridge, and was pouring out onto the floor. I shut the water off going to the fridge, and after we got it all cleaned up, we turned the water back on and it started leaking again so the water got shut off again and we cleaned up a much smaller mess. I haven't had a chance to look at it & see what exactly isn't working like it should...to see if it's a busted line or fitting, stuck valve, etc...just that it leaks water all over the place if we try to use it. We had the trays, so we've just been using them for now. Someday I'll come across one of those elusive round tuits and get the automatic ice maker fixed again. Until then, I guess I'll keep making ice the old fashioned way.