What a waste in my honest opinion

from a mechanical standpoint (personal opinion only) its a positive for someone to 1= save some old iron;2 = had to use at least a little mental thoughts instead of computer to engineer the entire set up . 3=modification for a fun  isn't all bad. how the term rat rod ever came to be associated with the modified iron  not sure. 

• Like 1

I have been slow to respond on this one..  A while back, I saw some videos of a guy that will take a running truck ie: GMC with a 6V DD, and blow it up..  He was driving the truck in the video..  I was pissed, because the truck looked good and it sounded better..  For some reason it was funny to destroy it.. I saw a truck that could have been used as anything other than trash..  Like a camper puller..  OR part it out to guys like us that need the good parts..   Rat rods dont upset me too much, because there is some creativity and preservation. I have an OLD truck that I CAN NOT afford to build correctly, so I am just going to do as good a job as I can to make it road worthy.. it's 75 years old..  anyway, I guess it is their personal thing, that can make some of us cringe..  I'm sure my truck will make a true IH guy cringe... Jojo

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I have been slow to respond on this one..  A while back, I saw some videos of a guy that will take a running truck ie: GMC with a 6V DD, and blow it up..  He was driving the truck in the video..  I was pissed, because the truck looked good and it sounded better..  For some reason it was funny to destroy it.. I saw a truck that could have been used as anything other than trash..  Like a camper puller..  OR part it out to guys like us that need the good parts..   Rat rods dont upset me too much, because there is some creativity and preservation. I have an OLD truck that I CAN NOT afford to build correctly, so I am just going to do as good a job as I can to make it road worthy.. it's 75 years old..  anyway, I guess it is their personal thing, that can make some of us cringe..  I'm sure my truck will make a true IH guy cringe... Jojo

That sounds like Something Whistlin Diesel on Youtube would do. I'm not saying the Ratrod concept upsets me because I love "RatRods" done in good taste with a Rat Fink sticker on the door lol. This one to me was not in good taste. Of the pictures I've seen of your truck it's awesome 👌

So, I have mixed opinions on ''Rat Rod's''..  As for me,, I love my truck but dont make enough money to buy much, so I collect parts, and I beleive GOD puts them there for me to find..  Take these little beautie's for example..  The Heat shields are NEW take offs, the owner wanted chrome, and said throw those P.O.S. shields in the trash!!  OK!!... the wire in the cabinet is good wire that I pulled from high voltage control panels at my City Job,  It will be my new wiring for the whole truck. The heavy wire was from 480 volt A/C,, the light wires are 10 and 12 gauge,, and the Kerker Exh. pipe is what was in our scrap dumpster today... It will be the stack for my KB-7..  I have been collecting parts for over a year..  I know that some folks wont agree with my method's.  But my wallet sure does...  :) I really need to get back on it, I have been fixing my everyday trucks lately..  jojo

• Like 2

Yes sir..  I get it..  Im cool with what I have going on... hell the truck is 75 years old.  it runs good and I bought NEW parts to get the brakes working..  so yeah,,, i'm good.. 🍻

• 3 weeks later...

Must’ve missed this one. I don’t care for a rat rods either like someone said, lots of thought putting them together  but they don’t do anything for me as far as destroying antique iron . That’s just disgusting. thanks for the post.Bob 

• Like 1

A buddy of mine I grew up with since we were 10 he has his own body shop welds fabricates. He likes to build high price, t buckets and coupes on the side. He was just telling me last year he was building a  Rat rod I didn’t say anything to him one way or the other but I couldn’t figure out that’s completely different, from what he usually does. Maybe just another challenge for him change of scenery perhaps not sure.. just kind of surprised me coming out of somebody as talented as him who knows.. Bob

On 3/21/2023 at 5:31 PM, 66dc75 said:

The guys who think it's funny to blow up Detroits are utter nitwit who need to find a real hobby. I like your kb Joey and I'm an IH guy I've got a 57 A160

It would be nice if most of us had that kind of spare time to deal with ha ha

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:00 PM, Joey Mack said:

So, I have mixed opinions on ''Rat Rod's''..  As for me,, I love my truck but dont make enough money to buy much, so I collect parts, and I beleive GOD puts them there for me to find..  Take these little beautie's for example..  The Heat shields are NEW take offs, the owner wanted chrome, and said throw those P.O.S. shields in the trash!!  OK!!... the wire in the cabinet is good wire that I pulled from high voltage control panels at my City Job,  It will be my new wiring for the whole truck. The heavy wire was from 480 volt A/C,, the light wires are 10 and 12 gauge,, and the Kerker Exh. pipe is what was in our scrap dumpster today... It will be the stack for my KB-7..  I have been collecting parts for over a year..  I know that some folks wont agree with my method's.  But my wallet sure does...  :) I really need to get back on it, I have been fixing my everyday trucks lately..  jojo

that method worked for Johnny Cash also;; he got it one piece at a time!!🤣🤣  LOL

• Haha 1

I have always been a firm believer in the repurpose technic. the newer generation seems to have the =throw it away and buy new=' nope ... have been called pack rat on a number of occasions. comical how it seems the ones calling me pack rat are the ones knocking on the door asking "hey you have such and such , its late stores are closed ;LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

years later, still kicking my ass for throwing out ALL the brand new Detroit diesel parts I had. new cyl kits. turbo, blowers. etc  thanks to age of computers ; all the brand new N65/N75 injectors I wanted to GIVE  to manager at  service dept at local international dealer (knew him well), he couldn't take = had no way to show on inventory (computer) when they were bought. can't sell something computer said they didn't have.    at the farm I hang out at was a Mack transmission ( 10 speed ? ) .was going to take it before it was gone. went back last week ; it's gone  either buried or scrapped.  complete bell housing/ mounts . trying not  to pack rat.