Camelback trunnion

Triple D

Question

Good morning . Going to be replacing trunnion spindle on a camelback. I have 50ton press and pump but need the rest of the set up to remove and install new trunnion. Is there a place I can purchase this set up or does it need to be fabricated ? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Are you removing the whole A-Frame?  is the A-Frame rotted out? How is the truck built?  ie: tractor/ dump/ roll-off.... maybe some pics of the rear of it, from the rear..  jojo

• Like 1

Sup Joey! So it's a garbage packer with bronze bushings . When removing the saddles I was able to see that the bottom of the trunnion tube looked like a cheese grader . I know there is a way of splitting the bottom of the trunnion stand where the spindle goes thru to remove it than welding threaded flanges on to clamp the new one in place but not sure if that's a legit way of doing that. Would rather press out the old one without removing the whole stand from the truck . Just looking for the best way

Im folling along here, I  reckon I might learn something here for sure

What size back end, I think the trunions vary a fare bit over the years even with the same ratings

Inboard or out board stand

Dunno if it makesany difference or not but the more information you can provide I reckon the closer you would get to the right answer 

Paul

• Like 1

Well, since it's a garbage truck, I assume lifting the body is too much work, I also assume the A-Frame is not cracked at the top or rotted through just above the trunion bar..  yes to splitting the eyes to slide the trunnion out.  I have seen that done many times.  There is a company here called Axle Surgeons, that will cut out the old bar and install a new one.. you have to have the wheels off and 6 feet of room around the truck. The last one I had done was 3 years ago..  $1500.00 parts and labor .   I myself have done many complete A-Frame replacements, where I split the frame and rolled it out on it's wheels.  I guess you have a rear packer trash truck..  so the body has to come off..  keep in touch, Jojo

• Like 1

For what it's worth, most trucks that have been around a while don't just need the bar ( shaft, spindle.. what ever you want to call it ) if you're going to remove it anyway, with the frame suspended cut through the bar in the center. Unless it stays perfectly in place after a slice through the middle, the trunnion stand is shot.  ( like Joey mentioned ) probably easiest to put one of those erector sets in a packer than wrestling with the body. Of course this requires lots of cutting to get the old one out too. 🤷🏻‍♂️  No easy way out on this one. 

All of the ones I did required removal of the body. Then pull all cross members behind the trunnion, and I would cut the Hucks on one side for the X-Members in front of the A-Frame, then use a ports power to spread the frame and then simply roll the whole assembly out.  I'm guessing you can't do that..   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterwelder said:

Trunnion stand that is installed from underneath. No need to remove x members, pintle plates, bodies etc. 

Pic from Stengel bros website.

BAFC9349-C3CE-45BD-9992-E682AB6B15CA.jpeg

I installed one of these in one of my trucks few years back.Mine was for 44000 and its heavy.no way you will wear it out.

glenn akers

tubes of GOOD grease so much cheaper. rarely see people jack up the trunnion to grease center bushings. even the greasing process is an "work of art" . have seen those with an air operated grease unit  hold the handle till grease is dripping on the ground. doesn't do the seals much good when they are blown out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

tubes of GOOD grease so much cheaper. rarely see people jack up the trunnion to grease center bushings. even the greasing process is an "work of art" .

Am I to understand the proper way to grease a camelback is to jack up on the frame so the suspension and axles are "hanging" off the frame with no weight bearing on them, and grease that way? Or are you saying to place the jack on the A frame tube just inboard of the U bolts and jack from there until the wheels are off the ground? I truly don't know. I have always just greased with the truck sitting on the ground normally. 

So I've decided to go ahead and have axle surgeon come out to replace the tube . I appreciate all the insight. And yes taking the weight off is the best way to get that grease all the way around the tube and saddle.

27 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Am I to understand the proper way to grease a camelback is to jack up on the frame so the suspension and axles are "hanging" off the frame with no weight bearing on them, and grease that way? Or are you saying to place the jack on the A frame tube just inboard of the U bolts and jack from there until the wheels are off the ground? I truly don't know. I have always just greased with the truck sitting on the ground normally. 

Same here,if the bushings and bar are not worn what good would it do since there is zero movement plus there are grooves cut  in the bushings for the grease to flow into and move all around the bar,I just grease the chit out of mine and yes it gets past the seal and even squirts outofthe trunnion cap a little,works for me she’s tight as a drum..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Triple D said:

So I've decided to go ahead and have axle surgeon come out to replace the tube . I appreciate all the insight. And yes taking the weight off is the best way to get that grease all the way around the tube and saddle.

Good for you,that’s the way to go,get it done right and don’t look back..

• Like 1

no reason to jack truck up so wheels off the ground. jack under the A-frame close to spring saddle.  enough to  take weight off center trunnion bar. a neglected bronze bushing worn out won't allow grease on bottom  between bushing and cross bar. the grooves will be gone. a  bronze usually is worn on bottom more then top.no matter what personal technic is ; grease works . 

• Like 1

yup, just jack up on the center of the trunnion bar ubtil the weight is off the saddles. Then grease it till grease popps out of the bleeder in the end cap. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:37 AM, 67RModel said:

Yup You can install an auto greaser but if you don't jack it up your wasting grease and time the key is to get the grease where it needs to go on the bottom! the seals on these are meant to keep the dirt out and let the grease out, so to keep greasing with out jacking it up your just letting the grease out! I'd go with the  Stengel bros style one if I was doing it PAI sells one also! Note there are two diffrent  bolt patterns!

On 3/5/2023 at 1:41 AM, Joey Mack said:

yup, just jack up on the center of the trunnion bar ubtil the weight is off the saddles. Then grease it till grease popps out of the bleeder in the end cap. 

Whats this bleeder you mention Joey ?

I have only seen grease nipples or zerks I think you blokes call them on the end caps

Paul

Paul, in the cap on the saddle is a small spring loaded bleeder that has a button that pops out to let the grease out.  It should be a couple inches down from the edge of the cap.  Jojo

I'm going to start lubing my camel's hump like everyone is saying to do by jacking it up first. I'm just curious does the Mack lubrication literature say to do it this way? Or is this one of those lessons learned through the school of hard knocks?