Camelback trunnion

Triple D

Question

Good morning . Going to be replacing trunnion spindle on a camelback. I have 50ton press and pump but need the rest of the set up to remove and install new trunnion. Is there a place I can purchase this set up or does it need to be fabricated ? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

3 hours ago, MACKS said:

This is what the book shows..79381D17-6767-4EED-9F06-BB2CC4E12F80.thumb.jpeg.6dd9debdd05a8f77e875b4208faef1bc.jpeg

The trunnion cap  and seal on the oil style is different and was only offered for a short while  and It was  absolute mistake DONT GO THERE! The greased trunnion will self vent thru the back via the back seal its a one way check valve in its self putting the vent on the cap is OK how ever we used to put a grease nipple there and push grease thru there this forced the grease right thru the flutes in the brass bushing out the back , for  those the lazy ones that wouldn't jack the truck up ,  it would at least get some grease! just how we would do things ! 

My opinion!

The seal is also diffrent on the inside its an actual oil seal

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fjh said:

The trunnion cap  and seal on the oil style is different and was only offered for a short while  and It was  absolute mistake DONT GO THERE! The greased trunnion will self vent thru the back via the back seal its a one way check valve in its self putting the vent on the cap is OK how ever we used to put a grease nipple there and push grease thru there this forced the grease right thru the flutes in the brass bushing out the back , for  those the lazy ones that wouldn't jack the truck up ,  it would at least get some grease! just how we would do things ! 

My opinion!

The seal is also diffrent on the inside its an actual oil seal

That totally makes sense..

12 hours ago, Mark T said:

Says 44 series and  oil in the 50+ ones

Agreed I only saw theses on 55 and up suspensions and they all got converted to grease here the oil based one did not stand up! we had to alter the seal and put it in backwards to make the grease seal work properly! these mostly came in RDSX trucks triple or double frame units made for logging or grade dump trucks! 

• Like 1

Sorry to keep beating this horse dead. But I was under my truck last night and snapped a quick picture. I edited it with a red blue and green arrows. Where is the proper location to place the jack in order to unload the bushing for proper greasing? Red, blue, or green? I notice the in the service manual illustration that was posted by MACKS it shows the "elephant ear" or outboard style trunnion stand. I have the newer style that is mounted inboard of the frame rails? Does that make a difference at all? I'm guessing not but just making sure.

InkedIMG_2286.jpg

13 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Interesting what we all call things

Elephant ears to me are the rubber isolators 

The outboard trunion stand is known by most as a "claw" type of trunion stand, in Australia at least and only by the small part of the people I know

I always heard the claw type called the elephant ear style? and yes the isolators are called elephant pads. Maybe I'm conflating the two names? In either case at least I now know where to jack from and by how much is necessary.

• Like 1