Camelback trunnion

Triple D

Question

Good morning . Going to be replacing trunnion spindle on a camelback. I have 50ton press and pump but need the rest of the set up to remove and install new trunnion. Is there a place I can purchase this set up or does it need to be fabricated ? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

yes it will... I would suggest 1-5 PSI,  but I have never looked into the pressure rating..  do you think a 20+ one, would force more grease to the inner thrust washer??  Dunno..  as far as I know, you put the grease in the top of the saddle, then it goes around the grooves to the bottom, then it fills the space behind the cap, then it pushes out the vent....    Ok, now I'm Dizzy.... 

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed
  • Like 1

they are,  and they will purge some grease if the trunnion has been in service for a while..  Kinda why I thought the 1-5 PSI one would be a good choice.  I really dont know, because we always just jacked them up and greased them til it came out the vent, and yes,,,  grease has dropped off the rear of the saddle.  when jacking it up, you can tell which ones are going to leak a little, when you see the bottom of the saddle go from no gap, to having a gap when the weight is off of it..  jojo

I have grease fittings both cap and saddle 

I'm just poking along learning as I go still

There is quite a lot different in Australian Macks than US Macks and a lot of difference between West and East coast Macks

Australian and NewZealand Macks arevery different as well

But it makes sense that there be a relief and not just pressure in 

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I'm going to start lubing my camel's hump like everyone is saying to do by jacking it up first. I'm just curious does the Mack lubrication literature say to do it this way? Or is this one of those lessons learned through the school of hard knocks?

This  theory is primarily advised by the either the guy who gets to pay for, or actually do the repair on a prematurely worn trunion bar.   On a truck with a lift axel, even putting that down with the truck unloaded helps better than not jacking. 

6 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Well we are all learning things today 

Thanks for sharing that, Im guessing everyone just pulls the plug out and bunged what ever they thought was right in there

Paul 

It also says to jack up rear axle to remove the load on the bushing before servicing..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

What year is that book MACKS?  I like it, and hadnt seen that info before...   Thanks,, jojo

1985,so what do u think about gear oil or some other liquid type lube in there,would it even stay in and obviously any grease u pump in there will mix with it right..

Macks..  I would think in a perfect world, it woud be ok..  But, when I started to fix these Dogs 23 years ago,  We only put grease in them.. grease is nothing more than oil and a thickener..  Im sure you have seen the back side of a saddle when the truck is sitting, and the lower edge of the saddle is right up to the flange on the trunnion tube.  Which means the brass bushing is worn and the trunnion bar is flattened on the bottom.   My point here is...  how could oil stay in there?  the rubber seal is just pushed in by hand, so it's not a press fit..  anyway..  with all the postings on this...  to me ...  none of us is wrong or not knowing...  I'm just happy that there are this many guys that actually grease the trunnions..  and coversations like this will help someone get more life out of their camel back suspension..  jojo

25 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Macks..  I would think in a perfect world, it woud be ok..  But, when I started to fix these Dogs 23 years ago,  We only put grease in them.. grease is nothing more than oil and a thickener..  Im sure you have seen the back side of a saddle when the truck is sitting, and the lower edge of the saddle is right up to the flange on the trunnion tube.  Which means the brass bushing is worn and the trunnion bar is flattened on the bottom.   My point here is...  how could oil stay in there?  the rubber seal is just pushed in by hand, so it's not a press fit..  anyway..  with all the postings on this...  to me ...  none of us is wrong or not knowing...  I'm just happy that there are this many guys that actually grease the trunnions..  and coversations like this will help someone get more life out of their camel back suspension..  jojo

My thoughts exactly,bran new ok but a little worn,no way,I’ll just keep on pumping grease but I will now jack up the back axel like the book says,well at least sometimes ..lol