DOT Tubing

1wonton

I dont what SMC is, but when I can I use Brass Compression fittings..  I do use Brass push lock types as well, and I like them, however, I think Compression fittins are the best for a long lasting assembly..  Jojo     

P.S.:  NO Plastic quick connects..  J.M.O.  

• Like 2

Im stunned you all shop online with Americas population, truck parts stores should be within 50 miles of most people in the State's 

In my part of Australia most people try hard to support local businesses 

Anyway Bendix Westinghouse has been around since the beginning of time and are US based Im pretty sure 

So I would expect they are fine 

Depending on what your chasing, I use Ryco a Australian brand 

I would be surprised if Bendix Westinghouse was crap as I  do use them as well and have no dramas 

Paul

Thanks for all the input.  My Ridewell axle lift control panel came with SMC DOT push-to-fit connections so that's why I was looking for appropriate connectors.  Regular sleeve compression fitting would be usual but if Ridewell uses push-to-fit then shouldn't they be as good, durable?

29 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

If you are replacing these because they have failed I think you have the answer to your question 

Paul 

I just wanted to know if anyone is using push-to-fit fittings and what brand they were using.

I think most new trucks are built with them these days

I reckon the brand of them makes a huge difference 

They can be really handy in tight spots but can also be very frustrating to get to seal

Also need to make sure you dont mix metric and imperial fittings and lines up as they look pretty much the same to my eyes however they aren't forgiving like compression type fittings

So my suggestions are 

Buy good quality brands

Buy brass fittings

Buy good quality nylon lines that are the exact size your chasing, possibly buy the same brand airline as the air fittings and they should match and seal perfectly 

And as already suggested by myself, Bendix Westinghouse 

Good luck

Paul

• Like 1

The other thing to note with push connect fittings is they might not seal in vacuum systems. Some shop installed one on the fuel suction line of a series 60 Detroit I once had. After a few miles it developed an air leak and would not stay running at idle. Replaced the push connect fitting with a compression style fitting and the problem was solved. Did I get a bad one or are they just not meant for vacuum? I don't know the answer to either question. I stay away from them if I can. As far as brands I think Parker is one of the biggest name in brass DOT fittings both compression and push connect. 

67RModel...  I second your posting.  Push in types have a place, but not in fuel systems.  And.... Any one who has been around mid 2000' Macks and Frieghtliner Century/ Columbia's,  know all too well how crappy the push in connectors can be.. ie: the air manifolds on Macks behind the pedal's, and behind the trash bin on the Frieghtliner's..  Jojo

I've always believed in supporting local business, challenge is ::and  has been discussed here many times , trying to find someone behind the counter that knows what you are asking for. on-line for me is limited to item I'm looking for. most of the old knowledge persons are gone.  those left at the local truck parts store are counting the days till retirement. I've dealt with them for 40 + yrs. new management pushes the sell parts  needed or not  idea. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

challenge is ::and  has been discussed here many times , trying to find someone behind the counter that knows what you are asking for.

Too true Mechohaulic.. You can't even Buy a Wheel nut to day without quoting a VIN#

Sheer madness...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Our LOCAL bussines's,  all 2 of them, have some knowledgeable people..  But the parts on the shelf are from China..  I guess they cant afford to keep the good stuff on hand, probably, because we cant afford to pay the high price's..  It's a damn mess...  Yeah, I get it... pay the high price for the good stuff so it will last.... but when you are out of service, you are stuck buying the junk, to get you back to work...  

The reason they want a VIN or what the part is for....is because of liability.  The customer buys it, installs it, gets hurt/worse then goes back to parts store to sue them for selling incorrect part.  You and I have knowledge and common sense but so many don't and can't be left to themselves to make decisions that are safe.  Thus lawyers and VIN numbers!!   Sad.

• Sad 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, 1wonton said:

I neede a 12 volt battery as a spare used to jump any vehicle in my shop.  The woman behind the counter asked "what year, model"?  I said any generic 12 volt will work; that didn't work so she asked the same question again.  I told her it didn't matter, I just wanted a BLOODY TWELVE VOLT BATTERY, do you understand.  Well, I guess I had a bad attitude because she said "Don't go there with me"..................I'll never go back to this Napa store again.  

not defending the counter person; don't think you can call them man/ woman anymore .same as postal clerk no more postman . WTF !! any how I would have thrown the clerk for a loop with " I need something over 450 CCA. it would have put the ball in "her"court.  surprised she  didn't come out with we don't carry the brand generic! 

I knew of a guy that got in an argument with a parts store guy about parts for a GMC with a 305 V6….the parts guy swore up and down no such animal existed and that the only 305 in a GMC truck was a V8….this was like 15 years ago and you would have thought the guy behind the counter would have known better as he was I guess in his fifties at the time