How Come The Mh Did Not Seem Too Popular?

Is it me or is true that the MH was not as popular as the other cab overs in it's time? I noticed alot more cab over Internationals, KW/Pete, Freightliners etc than the better looking Mack MH when they were being built. They also seem to be quite a bit cheaper than a comparable conventional Mack and were alot less popular than over the road R models. I know that when the restrictions on the length of the tractor trailer's were lifted the production of over the road cab overs pretty much ended. However I would like to have seen more MH cab overs compared to the competition on the road. Any thoughts from drivers of the MH?

UPS sure had a lot of them at one time. I think they were introduced more or less at the end of the cabovers' heyday in the marketplace. Seems like everything was going to conventional at that timeframe.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The MH certainly wasn't a flawless piece. The Maxiglass cab held up well, absolutely resisted corrosion but, it had it's share of electrical ground problems and probably the most detrimental was opinions on safety. The Maxiglass cab was a concern with drivers, it was thought of as being unsafe due to its "plastic" construction. Cabover drivers are the first ones to arrive at the scene of a crash, making some drivers uneasy. These were times before the Saturn car brand and all of the other plastic products were are forced to count on today. Cabovers were on the decline due to the relaxed overall length laws and aerodynamics becoming so important. The fall of the cabover could probably be the root of the MH's demise. The Mack or mutt drivetrain were the same as you could get in other Mack models, making the MH one of the best classic Macks to gather up.

Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

I think rob hit the nail on the head. Sliding Cabover sales and a premium price for an MH did not help sales. UPS sure did have alot of single axel day cab versions. they looked kinda funny bob tailing around Chicago. I always thought they would fall on their face if the driver hit the brakes to hard LOL.

there was a guy up in WI that had a fleet of sleeper cab cruiseliners and some MHs I dont know if he still has them running around? Most of the ones I saw (besides UPS)were alwasy Owner operators from PA of all states.. B)

I think rob hit the nail on the head. Sliding Cabover sales and a premium price for an MH did not help sales. UPS sure did have alot of single axel day cab versions. they looked kinda funny bob tailing around Chicago. I always thought they would fall on their face if the driver hit the brakes to hard LOL.

there was a guy up in WI that had a fleet of sleeper cab cruiseliners and some MHs I dont know if he still has them running around? Most of the ones I saw (besides UPS)were alwasy Owner operators from PA of all states.. B)

Owner operators from PA of all states

Maybe my Dad------ Black MH with red stripes and of course with a V8 ran out to Chicago often

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

The first truck I owned was an MH. The truck was a pleasure to drive and I regret to this day trading it. However I did end up with a pretty nice CX Vision in the deal(the very truck pictured in my avatar). I had to make a business decision, and the CX is a more practical truck for my current operation. If America ever needs cabovers again I think the MH would be well up to the task. This model was well ahead of its time in tech and styling and still looks fresh in 2008.

The MH came on the market in '82, just as congress eliminated the overall length limits on tractor-trailer combinations. The market rapidly shifted to conventionals, although cabovers held on in niche markets and in the states that allowed a 53 foot trailer with 65 foot overall length for a while. Mack handicapped themselves too by offering the MH only in day cab and flat roof single bunk sleeper configurations only, while competitors offered raised roofs and longer sleepers as well as set back front axles. I saw a picture of an early MH with set back front axle and high roof sleeper, but I've never seen another one like it. MH sales were further hobbled by Macks refusal to underbid Mercedes/Freightliner, Navistar, etc. for sales. None the less the MH was probably the finest cabover ever built- I've driven several while temping at UPS with well over a million miles on them and the cabs were still tight and comfy.

..........there was a guy up in WI that had a fleet of sleeper cab cruiseliners and some MHs I dont know if he still has them running around?

Schwind Trucking, down by Fond Du Lac.

They're painted black and always very clean and polished.

Their trucks always look like new.

I still see them on the road frequently pulling tankers.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The MH came on the market in '82, just as congress eliminated the overall length limits on tractor-trailer combinations. The market rapidly shifted to conventionals, although cabovers held on in niche markets and in the states that allowed a 53 foot trailer with 65 foot overall length for a while. Mack handicapped themselves too by offering the MH only in day cab and flat roof single bunk sleeper configurations only, while competitors offered raised roofs and longer sleepers as well as set back front axles. I saw a picture of an early MH with set back front axle and high roof sleeper, but I've never seen another one like it. MH sales were further hobbled by Macks refusal to underbid Mercedes/Freightliner, Navistar, etc. for sales. None the less the MH was probably the finest cabover ever built- I've driven several while temping at UPS with well over a million miles on them and the cabs were still tight and comfy.

mh s are good trucks the weak spot in them is like doug said the gauges ground problems we still run a mh 91 v8 air ride but i think they should go back to cabovers because they keep shoving the engine back under the cab and you cant work on them atleast you could put the cab up and ther it is and that aerodynamic thing aint worked real well eather we got better fuel milage with f models than the new trucks

The compaines that I grew up with and work for until 1992 were IHC/Mack with a few GMC's tossed in for good measure. We had 21 MH's during their run and most everyone loved them. They rode very well, & the layout inside was nice. I enjoyed driving them. I must admit though, when we began getting the CH's I was in "dog" heaven! I do remember a ground issue with one I drove once and that was with the dimmer switch. The run I made in this truck was two rounds from Ft Wayne to Lafayette IN starting at midnight. Half way to Lafayette I hit the brights all was ok, dimmed them and went to just one left head light, no dash lights everything was screwed up. Was ok when I went back to brights, just glad it was spring and the sun was up by 6:30am.

:mack1::thumb: hey guys the MH was very popular in europe to. iff they still made them there was a good market for overhere.a lot of heavy haulage companies in the netherlands has used them and today still a few MH are working every day its a fine truck build a good work horse greetings rene :thumb::MackLogo:

:SMOKIE-RT: I had a 92 MH 613 with a 450HP E9 V8 . I loved it. I 'd still be running it today if some woman in a $35 car didn't hit it head on a couple of years ago . As far as being safe the MH cabs were pretty strong I walked away from my accident without a scratch, and I have scrapped MH cabs in the past and would have to say they were well constructed, It takes a good backhoe and some time to break up one of those cabs. I used to get better fuel milage with mine than I do with newer ones , so as far as aerodynamics are concerned I don't believe in them, I prefer class instead.

I never drove one, but I always liked the looks of them.

Matt Pfahl and I are restoring an '84 MH. These are wonderful trucks and many folks that I have spoken to have said that these trucks were some of the best that they had ever owned. I will post pics when we're finished. I plan to use the MH to haul the LJSW and the B-813SX to long distance antique truck shows.

Best regards,

John

I have plenty of MH parts if you need anything. 919-932-3344

I drove many MH cabovers at UPS. The drivers pretty much loved them. You had a built in sleeper with that big doghouse. Tons more room than the F-models (referred to as hardbodies) The oldest ones were equipped with a hydraulic clutch. , no power steering, no cruise. The last of them were equipped with side fairings, cruise and power steering. and a dry type clutch. The power steering felt so loose after not having it that it was a little scary. We still have one in Lexington Ky. It is just used on ocassion to move trailers into the shop. Iwatched them go out on trailers a few years ago. It was the first time I ever saw them sell any of the equipment and not strip it and crush it. :rolleyes: