PTO Pump

1wonton

What exactly is the question??  PTO's for that tranny are everywhere.  The mounting hole is a common 8 hole set-up.  So you have a 5 speed, with no back box?  Once you know what ratio PTO you need, you are all set.  then you choose a PTO mounted pump, or get a PTO with a stub shaft and a yoke for a remote mounted pump, driven by a drive shaft..  The piggy backed set up is good, and there are support bracket kits that require a little welding,  but you get to custom fit it to the back of the tranny...  I hope I helped you on this..  There are some other guys that know quite a bit about PTO set-up's..  Maybe a few will 'Post'...   jojo

I want to put a PTO hydraulic pump on the (8 hole) access space to provide power to an hydraulic winch.  The 5-speed tranny has straight-cut gears., so just want to know where/what to look for.  I'd rather have the PTO-pump unit rather than a pump bolted onto a  pto shaft.  I know there are lots of these type units available, just looking for someone who KNOWS what I'm looking for.

there is a PTO gear already installed on the countershaft in the tranny..  It is PTO ready..  I guess I don't KNOW what you are looking for... I have only ever built dump trucks and Dry Bulk haulers..  I'm sure someone with the correct knowledge will be along shortly..  Jojo

• Like 2

You can find these anywhere, just need to find the size you need and speed your gonna run at. Most manufactures have a chart to go by. So only YOU really KNOW what your looking for. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 1wonton said:

OK, thanks.  Seems like anyone I talk to asks "What year and model?".  Maxitorque 5 speed.... "What's that?"  Maybe someone here has some insight that applies to my question.

Maxitorque is a triple contershaft transmission, real easy to tell when you slide under and look.

• Like 1

I always thought that the PTO gear on the counter shaft,was the same size and positioned in the same spot related to how a PTO would mount? ( Mack/Eaton/Meritor) tranny's for example..  At times I was asked what ratio PTO I wanted, but for some reason, dont remember giving truck info.. I would just buy a PTO in the box,  Chelsea/Muncie/ Bazares,,, and so on.  I would set backlash, install the PTO, and then install the pump,  and well,, you know the rest..  jojo

• Like 1

so there isnt a PTO gear already installed on the counter shafts, like all the other tranny's?  I'm glad you posted that..  I didnt know that..  I never had to install a gear in the tranny's of the trucks that I put wet systems on.. Thanks again..  Jojo

14 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

Strait 5-speed need's a gear installed it's a pain but can do .....but need the % for the pump for ratio fast or slow ?

TRL 107; are you sure there's no gear installed on the countershaft for a PTO?  Why would there be a SAE opening on the transmission?

X107's use the lowere counter shaft for a PTO drive.  If you take the PTO cover off. You can look to see if the PTO drive gear is on the countershaft between the speed gears..  It's been over 20 years since I built one, and I am forgetting..  Now if the tranny is a 200 series, the gear is there..  I had a bit of confusion on what tranny you have since it was at first a 5 spd, then a 2050, now its a 107..  Mybe you could take a picture of the stamping in the case so we can see exactly what it is..   Jojo

20 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

X107's use the lowere counter shaft for a PTO drive.  If you take the PTO cover off. You can look to see if the PTO drive gear is on the countershaft between the speed gears..  It's been over 20 years since I built one, and I am forgetting..  Now if the tranny is a 200 series, the gear is there..  I had a bit of confusion on what tranny you have since it was at first a 5 spd, then a 2050, now its a 107..  Mybe you could take a picture of the stamping in the case so we can see exactly what it is..   Jojo

Thanks Joey.  Here's apicture of the stamping on the left side.

Mack TRL 107 ..jpg

So it's a twin stick?   After you drain the tranny oil, you can pull the bottom rear bearing cover. There you should see female splines in the end of the counter shaft. That is where the PTO months. There is a special bearing cover for PTO mounting..

35 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

So it's a twin stick?   After you drain the tranny oil, you can pull the bottom rear bearing cover. There you should see female splines in the end of the counter shaft. That is where the PTO months. There is a special bearing cover for PTO mounting..

This is a single stick, five speed.  PTO take off plate on left side.  Didn't want to drain all the oil out just to see the gear.   TRL 107.

Ok.. I guess I'm not the right guy for this one..  sorry sir.  I would just drain the oil and look behind the cover.. I also don't have the svc. Manual for that tranny either.. if I did I would send you pictures..  sorry sir..  Jojo

56 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Ok.. I guess I'm not the right guy for this one..  sorry sir.  I would just drain the oil and look behind the cover.. I also don't have the svc. Manual for that tranny either.. if I did I would send you pictures..  sorry sir..  Jojo

Thanks anyway.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 3:25 PM, 1wonton said:

Thanks anyway.

I am just seeing this now. I have the same transmission in my 67 R model. Straight 5 speed. Direct in 5th. I bought it as a dump truck. There was a PTO / divorced hydraulic pump (old style) with a small drive shaft connecting the two. I removed the dump body and pump.....long scrapped. The PTO is still hanging off the side of the transmission. I have no use for it. I can remove it and send it to you if you want it but like I said its the old style and you want the newer style coupled unit. Either way I have a PTO for that trans. Not sue of the tooth count on the PTO gear. My guess is it would be fine for a hydraulic winch. Depending on what brand/type of PTO it is usually the drive gear can be removed and changed to achieve different running speeds of the PTO. 

I went onto Muncie’s website. Using their PTO builder they show at least 12 different PTOs available for the Mack TRL107 transmission. Left or right side opening. Tons of options. They even offer them in cable shift electric or air shift models and reversible models. Divorced or coupled…..

https://www.munciepower.com