Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

8 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

This is the gear that is reported as the go to deglazer used car sales man instant rebuld kit in jar bombdiggitdoo kit

old-fashioned-moth-flakes.jpg

This will save you bucket loads on those over charging money hungry pescky mechanics 🤣🤣:SMOKIE-LFT:

Paul

Ahhhhh......that's the good stuff, right into the larvae. 

16 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

In the mid sixtys the dealership here sold a f model with the first ENDT864 that i ever saw.It used oil like other engines for a few months and the owner of the dealership told us to put some Comet Cleanser in the intake.i was working the night shift and saw this.There was no Comet Cleanser there so the forman got a hand full of dust from the top of one of the shop heaters and run thru the intake as it was running.That repaired it for using oil.

wow,,,interesting..i would have been afraid to throw that that shit in there.bob

Just now, theakerstwo said:

Rings are better now but also the liners was what i remember as plasma honed in the later year that helped the oil sealing.The had what old tiers would have said honed with a hay rack meaning the had deep cross honing.

Now a CNC machine of some type can do what was once astronomically expensive work for basically nothing. Newer oils.  Whole different thing in ways than 35 or 40 years ago even.

Well, I’ll do my best to not put any bananas in the gear box, but no promises. Man, lots of mouse poop in the intake ports. That intake surprised me being made of aluminum too. Was waiting for a 200 pound intake but was pleasantly surprised lol. Wonder how far the mice got, I can’t imagine they got passed any valves. Could’ve pissed in there a bunch though I guess.  Got cut short but I’ll try and get the water manifolds and exhaust manifolds off Monday. I won’t be able to get there tomorrow 

3079CD41-8548-47DA-A4A0-79D2E48776D4.jpeg

8C00E23D-389E-44BB-BCF3-9EE14B4855C6.jpeg

BDE21AEC-0CA7-42E6-9190-58E8A8EA3454.jpeg

C64A429D-AB38-43C7-91C4-E2E2F2AB72F8.jpeg

Edited by Craig N
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

In the mid sixtys the dealership here sold a f model with the first ENDT864 that i ever saw.It used oil like other engines for a few months and the owner of the dealership told us to put some Comet Cleanser in the intake.i was working the night shift and saw this.There was no Comet Cleanser there so the forman got a hand full of dust from the top of one of the shop heaters and run thru the intake as it was running.That repaired it for using oil.

Don’t no how many times I heard that story always wanted to try it never had the ball’s!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well this is good news, now that's gumna sound strange

But let me explain, you stopped forcing it before you went to far and broke something 

Mouse piss etc should be of concern, or at least it would be to me, must be some valves open either fully or partly 

How did these mice find their way into your motor ?

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Well this is good news, now that's gumna sound strange

But let me explain, you stopped forcing it before you went to far and broke something 

Mouse piss etc should be of concern, or at least it would be to me, must be some valves open either fully or partly 

How did these mice find their way into your motor ?

Paul

Breather tube coming off the valve covers. Nothing at the end of the tube, just open.  The air hose to the intake broke off at the firewall so they got in there too. I’m gonna yank the heads and clean them up really well in the parts washer. I’ve got the cylinders soaking in marvel mystery oil at the moment. I’ll see what shape the cylinder walls are in once I get the heads off. I’ll clean everything up real good and try freeing up the motor without the heads on. Glad I didn’t get it to spin over and cause any damage. Hoping she just needs a good cleaning and she’ll be ok

8 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Once you yank the heads,  before trying to turn the motor make sure you clamp the sleeves in properly other wise even when you get this free your gunna enter the world of clusterfuckerie with a masters degree 

If you accidentally move the sleeves you will turn from adventure to a in frame rebuild quicker than you can say "bugger me"

Anyway, it's all good fun and adventure so far

Paul

Oh man, I didn’t know anything about this. So, the heads basically stop the sleeves from coming out the top when they’re bolted on?  How would I clamp the sleeves on properly?  I’m assuming vice grips isn’t it haha. 

Are these dry sleeve or wet sleeve motors? And if they do pop out why could't you just reseal it and pop them back in?  You can check the condition of the cylinders and check for cavitation if they're out. 

Also do Mack's have problems with dropping or sinking liners like Cats do? I'd imagine sleeve shims would not be easy to find for one of these. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Hey Craig,  The funny thing is i'm going to get back on the E-6 that has been in the back of my shop (un-touched) for over a year..  Here is a picture of liner hold down bolts.  be sure to keep the washer off of the raised part of the liner, any dent will cause a compression leak..  If the washer is too big, just put it on the bench grinder and take it down a bit..  jojo

KIMG1392.JPG

Can still see the cross hatch on those sleeves!! New sleeves and pistons?  Thanks for the pic! 

Thanks for all the help here, everyone. What a great group of guys here!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Can still see the cross hatch on those sleeves!! New sleeves and pistons?  Thanks for the pic! 

Thanks for all the help here, everyone. What a great group of guys here!!  

We do our best! Something to note when installing studs its recommended you bottom the bottom the stud and back it out a half turn ! not sure why the fine thread on the top does a better job of holding the heads down than any type of coarse thread! in my mind That said the 866 engine was a fine thread bolt if I remember correctly  and they had issues with head gasket leaks! So who knows I could be misguided in my thoughts here! This maybe the reason Mack when to Coase thread in more current engines I don't know!? Been that way ever since! that may be the reason for the aforementioned instruction! So it won't hurt to heed that mention! Something else check them injectors you pulled and make sure the washers are  stuck to them  if Not Go Searching!

just sayin!😅

• Like 2