Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

Rear axle, jack it up, grease up a long flat bit of wood, undo the nuts hold the axle, give it a whack and it should come loose

Slide the axle out 

Back the brake off fully 

Lower the truck so the wheels are just touching the greased bit of wood

Undo the bearing nuts 

Slide the hub, drum and wheels along greased up board as one whole unit

Then pop the seal out, remove the grit guard if fitted and source parts

To fit is the reverse

Front hub I reckon you pop the cap in the center

Paul

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Craig N said:

So, I’m gonna tackle the rear inner wheel seal soon. I’m gonna pull the wheels, then, I’m gonna pull the spider, right?  Then I can slide the drum off?  Just making sure I have a decent plan before I go ahead.

Also, how do I get grease into these front wheel bearings?  This is the old grease cap, right?  Do these covers unscrew?IMG_7507.thumb.jpeg.427aa3db37c090500d0d0e78be80c816.jpeg

Anyone going to the truck show in Bolton, MA this weekend?

I do believe they are a screw on cap,   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

Man, I can’t thank you guys enough!!  Thank you. This information is such a valuable resource.  

I used to do wheel seals 20 years ago on the R models I was driving, but it’s been a while for sure and I know these are different. I remember having to hit the axle with a sledgehammer for it to pop out. 

15 hours ago, Craig N said:

Man, I can’t thank you guys enough!!  Thank you. This information is such a valuable resource.  

I used to do wheel seals 20 years ago on the R models I was driving, but it’s been a while for sure and I know these are different. I remember having to hit the axle with a sledgehammer for it to pop out. 

definitely hit the axle in center. I had a 5/8th die welded to a large nut which I put a socket for the sledge hits that missed the axle and hit the studs, I see everyone saying a grease board for sliding the complete assy.I used a steel/tin plate for the sliding . board may have a tendency to not slide as easy. important thing is do what is better for you. if need to disassemble wheels separately then that's the way to go. yrs of grease board wheel sliding and other feats your back will let you know every day. even for removing tires I use a hand truck .

• Like 2

wheel dolly is definitely the way to go. for someone having one unit which may be a show truck only , the wheel dolly is an  expensive  investment. find one to borrow . worked for a fleet of 4-5  units ; yrs I did the grease technique ; finally the "frugal "(CHEAP) owner invested in a wheel dolly. worked the best. 

• Like 2

Well you know I don’t know about you fellas but Home Depot here rents just about anything engine crane would be the ticket. I’m fixing to buy one shortly myself I am pissed harbor freight wanted  179  now it’s $100 more after.. but they are a lifesaver. He could also use one of those not that much to rent one wheel dolly. Yes, of course that’s the ticket, but as you mentioned. Ca Ching ca Ching and as an individual, how often would you need it?

• Like 1
  • Like 1