Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Yes sir..  another concern I had was, if you were to free it up after 'Giving it Hell'...  then actually get it to fire up,,  what will cut loose??  and cause more work if it's not 'Fatal'?  I truly understand being anxious...  Ive been there many times, whether it was a dirt bike, snowmobile, lawn equipt... and so-on..  I have blown some engines because i was in a hurry,, :) ..  anyway,  you got this...  jojo

Thanks for reminding me about having patience. I know better for sure. I just really didn’t want to get into the motor but it is what it is and I’ll do it.  Worried that they don’t make parts for it anymore, but if I break something because I’m being hasty I’m gonna screw myself. 

That said, is the 673 considered an “E6”?  Does this gasket set look like it’s for the 673?  Looks as if the head gaskets match up but just wondering about the rest of the manifolds etc

AB804569-4A44-481E-9152-D11DF17B7500.png

Its an E-6,  or one of them anyway... good call going to Agkits for parts... PAI, has a lot of parts.. As you have seen, there are a few other guys here that are very smart.  They can guide you very well, and I can add a little bit when it comes to buying parts, because of the one that I am building..  jojo

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Its an E-6,  or one of them anyway... good call going to Agkits for parts... PAI, has a lot of parts.. As you have seen, there are a few other guys here that are very smart.  They can guide you very well, and I can add a little bit when it comes to buying parts, because of the one that I am building..  jojo

Oh good. I don’t mind tearing it down as long as I can get it back together with the right gaskets and what not. I’ve made gaskets out of thin cardboard and gasket material but a gasket kit sure is easier haha. I wish I had a service manual. Those are hard to find for sure. I think the Mack museum used to send them on a pdf but last I checked the website was kind of on hold fe Covid or whatever. I’ll go check again 

If you can get your Mack parts dept. to print the KSA+A book..  there is a bunch of goodies in it.  Part numbers and such.  The other book is one that I got from E-Bay.  Its a copy of a copy of a copy..  But the words are ledgible.  Its an E-6 2 valve engine book..  jojo

• Like 1

I just found a 673/711 manual from 1966 on eBay!  I’ve been looking and haven’t found anything until now. Snatched it up!!  $50 for a Mack service manual is a good deal in my book

Edited by Craig N
Spellcheck got me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

If you can get your Mack parts dept. to print the KSA+A book..  there is a bunch of goodies in it.  Part numbers and such.  The other book is one that I got from E-Bay.  Its a copy of a copy of a copy..  But the words are ledgible.  Its an E-6 2 valve engine book..  jojo

Don't forget the head bolts are Proper STUDS and nuts Coarse on the bottom fine on the top! pulling the heads is not always a cake walk either You may find your self struggling here too don't be surprised !Joe , Glenn Myself and others will likely be able to walk you thru the scenarios! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fjh said:

Don't forget the head bolts are Proper STUDS and nuts Coarse on the bottom fine on the top! pulling the heads is not always a cake walk either You may find your self struggling here too don't be surprised !Joe , Glenn Myself and others will likely be able to walk you thru the scenarios! 

It’s like any other project, whether it’s a house project, work project, car/truck/bike/boat, it’s not usually going to go as planned haha. Usually takes 3x the amount of time that you plan it to take, or more. I guess I’ll know if this motor will ever run again once I tear the heads off and see what I’ve got to work with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

When I biught my 237 it had two cylinders full of mud daubers nests.  I pulled the heads, cleaned the mess out, oil the cylinders and found a gasket set on Ebay and bolted it back together.

The intake had been removed for some time and thus the mess inside.  It was a good day when I got it fired back up.

Oh, that must’ve been a great feeling hearing that thing sing after you got it all back together!!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Would you guys recommend using this injector puller to try and break these stuck ones free?  I could use this and pull with the heel bars at the same time. I just worry about the threads that the puller threads into.  About 3/4” of threads though. What do you guys think?  How much should I “crank” the puller down?  I’m not going to put an impact on or anything 

E887E33C-30CD-447F-B4E0-2B615D8390C2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Craig N said:

Would you guys recommend using this injector puller to try and break these stuck ones free?  I could use this and pull with the heel bars at the same time. I just worry about the threads that the puller threads into.  About 3/4” of threads though. What do you guys think?  How much should I “crank” the puller down?  I’m not going to put an impact on or anything 

E887E33C-30CD-447F-B4E0-2B615D8390C2.jpeg

There's some good reasons to not force the engine to hard mentioned here

My thoughts are fairly similar, if the truck is home and you are capable of mechanical work to me it's a no brainer, pull the heads and have a look 

Because without doing that you have no idea what's stuck, everyone here is assuming pistons, it really could be anything and the chance of causing a major issue is pretty high and could be easily prevented by pulling the heads and having a good look 

Not only that it gives you the chance to clean 50 years or  more of crap off everything and not have it pumped thru the motor 

Anyway thats just thoughts 

Paul

Craig, Buddy...   I almost added to my post about tearing the E-6 down....   I had 2 sweet mouse house's under the valve covers, as well..  this engine was in the woods upstate NY..  too funny...  Your rocker shafts look at lot better then mine..   :) jojo

On 11/10/2022 at 10:03 PM, fjh said:

What could be so hard about taking the heads off an old engine like this? Opposite the re-torquing pattern and then lift them off. I don't even think you would need a lift like a cat or cummins engine since it has two heads. 

And do you need to replace the head bolts and studs on something like this? I know now they have special torque to yield one time only bolts and studs but on old stuff I almost always reuse the head bolts.