Pictures of the Week

other dog

On 10/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, other dog said:

How about this unit? I heard it running but they shut it off before I could get any video. Sounded like a race car, I would never guessed it was a 903 Cummins by the sound, until I saw it. It sounded awesome.

VTDSC_5551.jpg

903 with headers and DD blower must be quite the sounding unit.  see they kept the emergency shut down unit on it. Brockway used the 903 a lot as well as other truck manufactures back in the day

47 minutes ago, Brocky said:

I understand that the 903 was not that popular here in the States, BUT the Australians used a LOT of them..  Hayseed, help me out!!

They sure do get a lot of hate nowadays, but I liked the one I drove. It was in a 74 Transtar and it did a pretty good job. H.H. Moore had several 903s and he never had any major issues with them that I can remember.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

3 minutes ago, other dog said:

They sure do get a lot of hate nowadays, but I liked the one I drove. It was in a 74 Transtar and it did a pretty good job. H.H. Moore had several 903s and he never had any major issues with them that I can remember.

Remember that Schneider, The Pumpkin, Had a lot of them..

Brocky

9 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

just curious Brocky...   When did schneider use those engines?  I would be interested in finding pictures of the trucks..   jojo

JoJo

I want to say late 70's into the early 80's.. They were in the IH COE's.. (4070???)

• Like 1

Brocky

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

JoJo

I want to say late 70's into the early 80's.. They were in the IH COE's.. (4070???)

They might have been the ones that had the stack on the left side of the cab, when every other truck in the U.S. had the stacks on the right.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

7 hours ago, other dog said:

They might have been the ones that had the stack on the left side of the cab, when every other truck in the U.S. had the stacks on the right.

Years later those guys with the dark blue tractors and  flatbeds had the stack on the left (Melton?)    and if I remember correctly the homely Volvos did too .  !!! fun factoid that has absolutely nothing to do with the 903 !!!

• Haha 1

that s cool..  there is sooo much for me to learn about, out there.. I have been Mack only for 24 years with a sprinkling of a few other trucks,, and a bunch of Freightliner and Int. along the way...  Jojo :) 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, Brocky said:

I understand that the 903 was not that popular here in the States, BUT the Australians used a LOT of them..  Hayseed, help me out!!

903 were used in everything and were well regarded as good motors

Then the BIG CAM arrived and they fell out of favour pretty quick for some more power and better fuel economy 

Or at least thats my take on Cummins

Paul

On 10/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

Fun fact: A Blower from a DD will Infact bolt on to the top of a Chevrolet 350 V8 

Lots of guys run them on small block Chevies (and of course big block Chevies) but they are not quite a "bolt on". They require a specific intake manifold or adapter to accept the blower. 

Edited by Licensed to kill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Licensed to kill said:

Lots of guys run them on small block Chevies (and of course big block Chevies) but they are not quite a "bolt on". They require a specific intake manifold or adapter to accept the blower. 

And bearings and seals and a adaptor kit t o make it belt drive

But the 671 and 871 blower has been stuck on the top and on the side of a lot of wannabe hot rodders and street racers

Oh and plenty of drag cars

Not many are from a Detroit Diesel but use the 671 and 871 numbers as they are well known and the specs are loosely based on them

The 671 is the most common in Australia for young and not so young blokes and the occasional bird as well

Paul

• Like 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark T said:

See Joey, here's an N12  from back when the 903 was available.  Note the stack on the left of that handsome truck.Screenshot_20221025-213211.thumb.png.4dfddfbfb4377d0122279be697237483.png

I’ve never even seen one at first glance I thought it was a GMC general with a slope nose… bob