79 maxidyne max power

Bigjohn4300

15 hours ago, Bigjohn4300 said:

Im curious, how much power could a 78 era maxidyne motor make in a low hours/non work application? Engine in good shape, truck is basically a toy, maybe 1000 miles a year. 400 hp? What is its limiting factors?

THE LIMITING FACKTOR ON THESE IS THE ENGINE BLOCK!  300 MAYBE ! 

Just my opinion not a fact 

• Like 2

I reckon 425 would really stretching it

It's only a little motor but I really dont know

Yes the block probably is the weak point, they used to crack out here with just a standard tune, I guess it would depend on how long it is planned to be driven hard 

A hour or so maybe okay

Paul 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I reckon 425 would really stretching it

It's only a little motor but I really dont know

Yes the block probably is the weak point, they used to crack out here with just a standard tune, I guess it would depend on how long it is planned to be driven hard 

A hour or so maybe okay

Paul 

Exactly! You can triple the HP on a E9 But how log will it last is the issue! the E6 as Paul stated there even at 285 maxi dyne was susceptible to this they did make a 315 thermal dyne as stated before in another thread there was a reason the E7 came along!  sure you can turn it up but DO YOU  Really want to?? If you want to keep your toy alive just leave it!   in my mind A half turn on the screw is all I would consider myself ! You don't want to be getting your foot into it for any serious work thou !

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Older friend used to run a tandem R with 237/5 spd local asphalt.  Never fast, but got the load there reliably.  Diabetes finally took him out of the seat for good.

Being a drag racer, I'd love to have "more" then my 237.  But it gets the job done reliably.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I had a 237 twin stick 5 speed in my 79 dm.

The turbo went and all the local shop had was a 285 hp turbo.

Put in the larger 285 injectors with the bigger turbo, and turned up the pump to match.

That truck would keep up with the 400 hp 8ll trans triaxles, only falling back on long upgrades.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..