Steel cutting chop saw.

Red Horse

I was in the lowes and I saw a metal cut off blade for my 4 and 1/2" hand grinder so I got one to try out I always used the thin cutoff blades this blade has lasted a long time I would of went through a dozen of the other style cut off wheels i think it was about 10 or 15 bucks well worth it. 

Am thinking it is time for me to upgrade to these cold cut style saws

No more changing blades all the time and most importantly no more sparks setting distant things on fire 

This is pretty common and requires some fast work with what ever at hand to beat the fire out

Also have set myself on fire on the odd occasion lol

I have only bought Makita power tools for well over 30 years, are they the best ?

Dunno, they are a good brand than gives little to no trouble but they do cost a packet

Paul

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red Horse said:

After running to my pals shop everytime I need to cut some steel I've decided to buy a chop saw.  Looks like the Evolution S355CPS has good features for price ($379)  Of course  its made in China..probably no choice there

Any opinions?

i had a chop saw; now i use a deep cut portable bandsaw. personal opinion- the band saw works better .  no where  near the sparks . as early stated it takes a minute (or2 ) to get straight cuts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davehummell said:

I was in the lowes and I saw a metal cut off blade for my 4 and 1/2" hand grinder so I got one to try out I always used the thin cutoff blades this blade has lasted a long time I would of went through a dozen of the other style cut off wheels i think it was about 10 or 15 bucks well worth it. 

That’s what I use…. Bob

https://www.diablotools.com/explore/saw-blades

I won't buy anything BUT Diablo blades for my saws. Used the demo blade when I removed the patio door & had to expand the opening to fit the french doors...ripped a nail right up the middle without bending it. They have blades for pretty much anything, even mild steel up to 1/2" thick. Been meaning to pick up one of those for a project I've got on the backburner...but for the $30+/- they want for it, it can wait until I get closer to starting on it. I didn't even know they made these sort of blades until I saw a contractor at the mill slicing through angle iron with a circular saw like he was cutting 2x4's and had a closer look. I've used cutoff wheel/chop saw type blades in my circular saw that are slow & throw a ton of sparks (and if there's ANY plastic in the blade guard, you'll know it)...but this was a regular looking saw blade. Anyway, piqued my interest. Haven't actually tried them myself, but have every intention to.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

4 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Also have set myself on fire on the odd occasion lol

Me Too Paul,💥

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I have a Makitata 12 amp 12 inch ! Had for years We had the very same machine at work and worked its ass off stood the test of time so I bought one for my own use! Still going strong That said stuff aint built like it used to be! so all bets are off ! 

• Like 2

I bought a cold cut saw a couple years ago when my chop saw quit working. I wanted an Evolution but could not find one anywhere> my next choice was a Milwaukee but ntyehy quit making them so I bought a Dewalt. The saw cuts great (they all will) but the vice sucks big time. I don;t know what the vice is like on an Evolution but it can not be worse than on my Dewalt. I should have kept looking for the Evolution. 

• Like 2

Guys- thx  for comments.  I finally bought an Evolution 380.  Should have it next week.  I have a big 7"  Black and Decker angle grinder that must be 50 years old...a heavy brute made when B & D made true commercial stuff.  I've been using 7" cut off wheels in it and managed not to burn the barn down.

I tried to get a shield for it but no luck so I won't miss trying to cut steel with that beast!

• Like 1