Shop Talk

Onyx610

1 hour ago, D-Day said:

Reworked the guyline shives and a little welding on the top of the tower should be logging the next skyline unit shortly 

image.jpg

Love to see some photos of this thing in its natural habitat. 

• Like 1

I did post a picture of the Foden truck on here some time ago it had a Rolls Royce diesel and I had to repower it I used an E-6 350 and an 8LL it is still right hand drive and we use these 2 yarders for steep slope logging in the mountains I have not done any ski lift work but the cable splicing knowledge is the same

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this video on YouTube. I happen to really like trains and I personally think this is just cool as hell. However when I see this stuff it really angers me that other countries such as us have to have our fun and good running engines taken away. Also at the same time making trucks extremely expensive to buy and maintain. While at the same time your not being compensated for the down time that the federal government is the cause of 90% of the time since it’s usually emission related and then can’t get something as simple as a sensor. Mean while majority of countries have this going on and it’s not an issue. This isn’t just that train they are all like that. 

• Like 1

those trains smoke like that for a few reasons.

#1: piss poor maintenance, as long as it runs, leave it alone. 

#2: they are 50-60 years old. 

most soviets don't give a damn about the environment. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Trains in the us smoke good too. They keep rebuilding the GE engines so they don’t have to switch to emissions. Also federal government isn’t going to screw with them since that’s how tomorrow moves 

23 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

those trains smoke like that for a few reasons.

#1: piss poor maintenance, as long as it runs, leave it alone. 

#2: they are 50-60 years old. 

most soviets don't give a damn about the environment. 

It’s not just soviet trains either 

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

agreed. but it sure seems theirs are in a lot worse shape than ours are!!

Agreed. Ours run very good and efficiently.  It’s amazing those trains even run like that and also don’t melt parts. 

2 minutes ago, Vmac3 said:

They all run. We bug them so they have to follow troubleshooting steps, and explain their findings. We also bug a truck and they see what we did to bug it, such as a missing ecu fuse. They cant just pop in the fuse and say its fixed. They have to explain why it doesn't start using wiring diagrams and describe what pin at the ecu doesn't have voltage or sometimes ground (depending how we bug it). 

We start by explaining what the pointy end of a screw does to doing aftertreatment, starter, charging, sensor, transmission, driveline diagnostics. We have PTT and explain how it works (when it does work) all the features it has. 

We have 6, 10 and 13 speed transmissions that they disassemble and reassemble using Eatons procedures. 

They disassemble differentials and reassemble them using Eaton procedures. There is a lot of content starting with content in the first semester to more advanced content in the second semester.

says alot right there! 

• Haha 2

I was thinking the same thing. Looks to be small class so lots of good learning going on. Should be some great “techs” coming out of there. And true story on PTT “when it does work” haha