Coca Cola LJ Mack colors

I did have a trailer 3-4 weeks ago come in with one wheel smoking opposite wheel same axle hot. cause == the clevis pins were rusted solid to point I had to cut them off with die grinder. this trailer also sat for weeks at a time. possibly your front axle is slow due to rusted hardware ??

Thanks for the guidance, both the parts LJs has some sort of relay valve on the frame going to front brakes, and I couldn’t find a shuttle valve on them either. I’ll double check the plumbing and put a gauge on the front , the copper plumping is 100% original , ( I replaced a few pieces because they had bad rubbed spots) I think there was too many hands involved in the 70s , possibly taking a piece of copper off and plugging something. 

the "some sort of relay valve " could be a standard quick release valve. purpose just as title says. the valve dumps air from brake cans faster  to release brakes, other wise air has to travel back to treddle valve to release. if  the parts trucks were/ are tractors not straight trucks  the  shuttle valve may be connected directly on treddle valve if there is one. no trolley in cab no need for a shuttle valve. 

a unit such as sanders or other air devise wouldn't (shouldn't) be tied into brake system. the valve first pictured  i would go with it being an early TTP valve.  air from left side line (brake application) would unseat a diaphram / o-ring equipt plunger to allow air from top constant air to right side plug ( brake cans). another test would be take the 1/4 = 3/8 plug out of right side ; put brakes on check for air out open port. do test twice one with treddle valve other with trolley valve. inside under the removable  bottom cover might be a spring : possibly hd tension. new style TTP valves have a hefty spring held in with snap ring. Coffee and doughnut bet the mystery valve in rear not associated to slow front brakes. these are one of many moments I "kick my ass" for not keeping sooo many books (parts included) and tools.

Oh My F'n Word!!!  Mech.. You are AMAZING !!  Yeah I wish I had that book too...  Why??? because I can not quote one tenth of what you just posted..  But on the serious side...  You have a gift of knowledge that will help many people..  BMT struck GOLD, with you sir..  Jojo

• Thanks 1

Ok , I took about a hour yesterday double checking the brake plumbing, Mechohaulic is  totally correct!  There is a quick release valve inside the left frame rail of this truck and both parts trucks, air goes from treadle to dash limit valve to top of this valve, each bottom port to right & left steering brakes ( so next I will have to hook a gauge up for them being slow) . So the first valve pictured is in the system has something to do with trailer brakes. I’m not sure if the “tee “ in the second picture is factory. Air comes from one delivery port on treadle to shuttle ( or double check valve) on the front side, the delivery from the trolley loops around to back port of shuttle valve. So when brakes are applied or treadle is pulled air comes out center port where the tee is , one line goes to service side of tractor protection, the other goes to left bottom port of the relay/ quick release valve with constant air to top port and right bottom port plugged . ( first valve pictured) . Since the first pictured valve has constant air, maybe it is a relay valve, air coming from delivery port at shuttle ( remove tee) to left bottom port, remove plug and run line to service of TPV ???  Maybe it had this relay valve in the system to give a extra boost of air to trailer service??? 

it's all coming together now. some where in the past the shuttle valve has been discussed. valve has that name based on it's operation. Inside the shuttle ; a5/8 dia +- X 3/4 +- long metal unit having rubber caps slides back and forth capping one port as needed . trolley application the shuttle blocks port going to treddle valve. and vise versa with treddle pedal application. without the shuttle valve air would exhaust out treddle valve when trolley handle applied. the rear frame mounted TTP valve   possibly was leaking air because the inside plunger corroded. plugged right side port fed trailer brakes.  hopefully slow acting front brake issue is simple as rusted clevis pins or lack of air coming from limiting valve.:SMOKIE-RT:

• Like 1

I do know the location  of a guy who attended my auction that bought boxes of my truck stuff.  will make a trip and look through what ever he still has. can't get my hopes up ; for an old style TTP valve there, won't know if I don't venture there. mentally it is a challenge : same as driving by my parents home. seeing my old stuff brings in the memories. it sucks when you were/are "married" to your profession.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:07 AM, 1961H67 said:

I put both pictures on in order , hopefully my explanation will make sense, That line that loops around to rear of shuttle is from trolley , line going straight in is from treadle in second picture 

64130F92-6BE6-4C5E-8BBD-787E67C53C35.jpeg

3C58A302-B56A-4869-BEDD-8AF8BB31B3CC.jpeg

line left rear (loop) from  trolley; line RIGHT REAR from treddle (brake) valve. the Tee fitting front middle  line to right covered with autoloom goes to rear axle brake quick release valve ??  line straight out (uncovered) is line going to TTP valve left side ??? if so that's a match and makes sense now . as earlier stated  plugged line would go to trailer .

as earlier stated, if this unit is more for show not hauling a trailer or tag along having brakes  ; another option (cheap) would be plug feed line to old style TTP   (top line) AT THE AIR TANK  for appearance it would look good. technically with the right side plugged valve  has  not  been doing anything now except giving unit an air leak.