Coca Cola LJ Mack colors

I’m restoring a 51 LJ , I drove this truck in the late 70s , the owner said it was bought new in Asheville NC buy the local Coke distributor, The paint was faded terrible, I sprayed it light blue just to make it one color. I want to paint it back original Coke ( According to the Mack Museum it was shipped to Asheville , September 51 All Red ) , Then it was Painted Coke Yellow , Cab , bottom of doors and fenders . The Roof was white & down around the windows . The top of hood and radiator shroud was Black. I have a question about the tops of the door frame painted black, you can see the original paint when I removed the mirrors. I have found 1 other truck with black door frames a old Howard Johnson truck. Possibly the color scheme back then was left up to the local Bottling Co ? Just Wondering about the door frames, Thanks if any ideas. 

AB68EB44-6F8F-432B-81F1-CE34FFF0025A.jpeg

03CF5107-D06C-410E-9A79-1FD647313FC6.jpeg

598AB1AB-A808-46EC-9EB0-CF0D69826E69.jpeg

3BD99983-F7A3-4406-8B8A-A533F94F3AB3.jpeg

05BABFB3-13FF-4B6F-BA61-4B20B3703ECF.jpeg

• Like 2

Yea we had a HO-JO nearby when I was growing up , I wish it was still around!             I also have a parts LJ that was Green, it has had the door frames painted White?? Never noticed this on old trucks until I started thinking about trying to repaint this to the original owners color . 

D05D3AA9-7367-4F89-A597-539250434C0B.jpeg

No direct answer, but inquiries to Coke or Mack archives for photographs? Or maybe a Coke product collector's club as another source? Barring that, maybe some light sanding in key areas, like you've shown on the radiator shroud, to determine break points and colors of the paint scheme? My cab was painted mostly green over the factory red for the company it was leased to, with a LOT of pin striping to dress it up.  Most of it lost to time and repaints and not how I wanted to go with it, just the overall red. Just some thoughts.post-1363-0-35948900-1442328578.thumb.png.ae458ee52c21b291f4300958b702a105.png

14 hours ago, 1961H67 said:

Yea we had a HO-JO nearby when I was growing up , I wish it was still around!             I also have a parts LJ that was Green, it has had the door frames painted White?? Never noticed this on old trucks until I started thinking about trying to repaint this to the original owners color . 

D05D3AA9-7367-4F89-A597-539250434C0B.jpeg

a little off topic ,  being i'm as old or older then the truck in picture and brain cells are same as paint on door;;FADED ! question is what is the duct work on right side of hood??? new and improved air conditioner inlet, 😀LOL

I checked the local Coca Cola Distributor,, they have a few old pictures of trucks with the same colors ( as best I can tell because they are black & white) but none of My Truck ,, Mack only knows it was Red ,, I have sanded off enough to get all the break lines and took pictures,, I’m just going with that , still curious about the black door glass frame,, I’m going back with it anyway. As for the “Ram Air Induction “ on the parts LJ ,, it’s a piece of stainless covering the wire mesh for the air intake,, It’s actually made very well, somebody’s idea for more air I guess. 

• 1 month later...

Yes that Cab back was a lifesaver! It’s ready to prime, it’s been cold around for a few days that is why I moved on to the fenders, I took the bottoms to the blaster today that should make welding go smooth. Maybe by Friday I can shoot a coat of primer on the cab. 

• Like 1

I have not, good idea. I will reach out to them and ask . I have sanded and chipped away at the old paint until I think I can tape it up and get pretty close to what was sprayed over the solid red in 1951 . But it would be nice to find some old pictures of Coke trucks in the early 50s . Thanks , making progress.

• Like 1

Looks like you already found the proper yellow but I saw this in an old Sherwin Williams commercial truck paint refinish brochure at an antique store. I would have to guess the brochure was from the early to mid 1960s.....I don't think Sherwin Williams makes automotive coatings anymore though.....

IMG_0424.jpg

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 1

Thank You! It looks pretty dang close to what I have already painted my fuel tank, we waxed some of the Yellow under the emblems , then used the code picture to come up with the color, The next time I go to the paint store I’ll give them the number on your chart , just to see if it will crossover. Thanks Again! 

• 4 weeks later...